'15 FL LB Tevon Coney

With Orange Carpet Day the main attraction on Rocky Top on Saturday there are going to be plenty of top prospects in Knoxville.

That list includes Florida linebacker Tevon Coney.

The 6-foot, 220-pound linebacker visited Auburn Friday and Saturday morning before heading to Knoxville and is ready to see what the Vols have to offer.

"I just want to check out the environment because I know the facilities are going to be great, the school is going to be beautiful," Coney explained. "I just want to go up there and see what type of people I'll be around if I were to go there. I want to talk to some of the players and talk to the head coach and see what kind of guy he is."

Coney has steadily built a good relationship with both Tennessee assistant coaches Zach Azzanni and Tommy Thigpen and said he's been getting to know them for some time.

"Coach Z first started talking to me and he was telling me about what makes the place great and he told me to come for a visit and then I started talking to coach Thigpen and he told me he didn't even want to spoil it and that he just wants me to come up visit," Coney explained.

He likes what he's gotten to know about the two so far.

"Coach Thigpen is a great guy. I talked to him on a daily basis on Twitter and he checks up on me and my family and we've built a great relationship," Coney said. Coach Z and I have been talking since early this year. He came down to see me twice so I've got a chance to get a good feel for him and he's a great guy, also."

Tennessee's coaches aren't the only ones recruiting Coney as Vol linebacker commitment Cecil Cherry has started working on him after the two roomed together at The Opening earlier this month.

"I talked to Cecil Cherry, who is actually committed to Tennessee, and he just told me I need to get up there and see it for myself. So, I figured I should go and see it for myself," Coney said. "He told me the ins-and-outs about it and he told me I had to go up there and visit and then let him know how he feels. Cecil was telling me about how they need linebackers."
-VolQuest.com

Reactions: 2 people
One of the dozens of prospects who was in town Saturday for the Vols' orange carpet even was linebacker Tevon Coney of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. For the 6-0, 221 pound four-star prospect it was his first trip to Knoxville and Rocky Top left an impression.

"I got there a little bit late so I missed a couple of things they were doing, but as far as the school it was a great visit. I talked to all the coaches. I like them. They are great people. The program has some great people that want to help you succeed. Overall the visit was pretty good.

"I was expecting a good visit because every time I've heard someone talk about Tennessee they talk about how beautiful it is and they tell you that you have to go visit them. The coaches told me that I had to come up and visit. I finally got the chance to go up and see what I needed to see and it was beautiful."

The day long visit to Knoxville was part of a long weekend. Coney started at Auburn on Friday before making the trip to see the Vols. Georgia is also in the mix along with Florida,Miami and Notre Dame among others.

"Right now, everyone is kind of even right now," Coney offered. "I'm going to visit with my parents and give my opinion about the schools I have seen and I will soon have my top 3 or 5.

"I will be back up there (Knoxville) probably for a game. The next time I will be up there will probably be when they play Florida."

While Coney might not know who's in his top-5 or where he's going to take his official visits. He does know what's key for him with a school.

"First I want to be a mechanical engineer so they have to have a great program there," Coney explained. "I want the degree to mean something. The coaching staff has to be stable. I want great people around me as players and students that go there. It's just important to be comfortable."

Rivals.com has Coney ranked the 9th best inside linebacker prospect and the 38th best prospect overall in the state of Florida.
-VolQuest.com

Reactions: 1 person
Mike Farrell, the national recruiting director for Rivals.com, said Coney is outside of the site's Top 250 in the nation because of his height and the shortcomings he has in coverage.

"As far as inside linebacker, he's a Top 10 in the country and if he were a couple inches taller, that might change and you'd be talking Top 5," Farrell said. "He thinks he's better than that and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. I like his attitude because he uses the negatives as something to motivate him and that's extremely important."

PB Gardens' Tevon Coney getting adjusted to attention, recruiters - Sun Sentinel

This ensuing discussion should get us to the first day of practice...:popcorn:

You say something to antagonize him, then try and make him the bad guy when he responds, realizing what you're doing. If anyone is behaving in an immature fashion, it's certainly you

I made a light hearted joke in reference to another thread convo, I don't see an attack or antagonizing statement there. Maybe you can explain why that would tick someone off?

I made a light hearted joke in reference to another thread convo, I don't see an attack or antagonizing statement there. Maybe you can explain why that would tick someone off?

It's pretty clear you were trying to make a joke at his expense, which he didn't respond favorably, as most people won't. Followed by the cramp comment, which was your attempt at making him the bad guy. It's interesting to find out you're actually related to someone on the board. And I already know you're response, "Lighten up Wickman it's only a joke," which is you covering your tracks and attempting to make me a bad guy too. So you can save the time for typing it. I'm sure you have a gif in mind to respond as well, seeing how that's most of your responses anyways, so you can save that one as well. You're welcome friend

It's pretty clear you were trying to make a joke at his expense, which he didn't respond favorably, as most people won't. Followed by the cramp comment, which was your attempt at making him the bad guy. It's interesting to find out you're actually related to someone on the board. And I already know you're response, "Lighten up Wickman it's only a joke," which is you covering your tracks and attempting to make me a bad guy too. So you can save the time for typing it. I'm sure you have a gif in mind to respond as well, seeing how that's most of your responses anyways, so you can save that one as well. You're welcome friend

Yeah, I agree that's interesting, that's why I made the reference. Referencing it is not really a joke at his expense unless there's some bad blood between them that I'm not aware of.

The cramp comment was after I was called a tool, which last I checked can't really be taken as a compliment. Anyway, thanks for researching my posts, guess that means you really know me and now we're besties.

/E-hug

VN Store

Back