'14 TN K Aaron Medley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Boom.jpg

Coach Mark Elder on Medley: "Aaron is a very talented kicker. He has a strong leg to kick the ball deep into the endzone on kickoffs. He gets tremendous lift on field goals and combines accuracy with strength to make him a valuable weapon for us in the future. We expect Aaron to compete for the starting position the day he steps on campus."

Reactions: 4 people
I like what I saw from him in the UA game, the ball came off his foot real well and had plenty of distance on his kicks, wouldn't be shocked if he started day 1.

Really cool anecdote from Aaron's father on 247. Won't copy its entirety but here's the good part.....

....Now it's March 2013 and Aaron wants to go to UT first spring practice, some contact has been made with Aaron by coach Elder at this point. We arrive on campus, we check in and assigned to our host. She tells us to come with her. We start walking away from the practice fields towards the office. I asked where are we going she replies to coach Jones office. Aaron and I look at each other, I'm thinking I'm not ready for this. We get to the outer office and we are met by Mr. Welton with a huge welcome, after a few minutes he enters the code that opens the office doors and in we go. Mr. Welton says coach the Medleys are here. CBJ stands from his desk with smile on his face and with that soft voice says Aaron welcome I love you man, glad you came to watch practice. It's funny because at practice and games his voice is much louder, saving it for those moments I guess. 😄😄 Every coach greeted us that day a had some kind of conversation with us. Every visit after that I don't recall a time that CBJ didn't have a conversation with us, game day or not, win or loss and we are just a kicker and family lol. Seriously tho I witnessed him this way with every recruit and their family..... After talking to CBJ the next day I knew there was nobody else I wanted to oversee his development as a person and player. I think it took all of 20 minutes for Aaron to call the other coaches and thank them for the interest before committing to coach Jones and UT. CBJ and staff practice what they preach and UT is as different as night from day than it was in 2012.

The first part was how lethargic and standoffish Dools staff was. He apparently had a Notre Dame offer on the table as well as TaMU and Oklahoma.

Reactions: 12 people
Sometimes nice guys finish first. Let's hope Butch is one of them. It's good to have genuinely good people heading a program we care so deeply for.

Reactions: 2 people
Really cool anecdote from Aaron's father on 247. Won't copy its entirety but here's the good part.....

The first part was how lethargic and standoffish Dools staff was. He apparently had a Notre Dame offer on the table as well as TaMU and Oklahoma.

Butch doin work

Thanks for sharing that story. Awesome.

Power to kick deep into the end zone? Hmm I'm not sold yet. I saw him in the all star game and his longest kick reached the 15 yard line. I know they move kick offs back a few yards but not over 15 yards difference. He had multiple kicks too. I think he had two field goals an missed both.

Power to kick deep into the end zone? Hmm I'm not sold yet. I saw him in the all star game and his longest kick reached the 15 yard line. I know they move kick offs back a few yards but not over 15 yards difference. He had multiple kicks too. I think he had two field goals an missed both.

We should probably pull his scholly.

Reactions: 2 people
live in backyard of THE Ohio State University which I'm sure, after the Auburn/Bama game, saw value of kicking game. Here's my question: did a google search of this latest kicking genius and kept seeing newspaper quotes by a high school coach who says he worked with the kicker for seven years??? a big of bragging....or did Mr. medley really benefit instead from the kicking camps his parents invested in. I've read the kudos to Mr. Wilhoit , his mentor and in the memories of some of us older TN fans, but don't see the young man reference any high school kicking coach (is there such a thing as a HS coach who specializes in kicking???).
so, my son is a soccer fanatic...do I steer him towards kicking camps? Is this Medley guy really a find by Butch (who made most of his time in the Buckeye state)?

If your son is interested in switching from soccer to field goal kicking, he should definitely hit up the kicking camps. Soccer provides a very good foundation for good field goal kicking, but the kicking camps (guys like Wilhoit) will help him gain consistency and good form.

live in backyard of THE Ohio State University which I'm sure, after the Auburn/Bama game, saw value of kicking game. Here's my question: did a google search of this latest kicking genius and kept seeing newspaper quotes by a high school coach who says he worked with the kicker for seven years??? a big of bragging....or did Mr. medley really benefit instead from the kicking camps his parents invested in. I've read the kudos to Mr. Wilhoit , his mentor and in the memories of some of us older TN fans, but don't see the young man reference any high school kicking coach (is there such a thing as a HS coach who specializes in kicking???).
so, my son is a soccer fanatic...do I steer him towards kicking camps? Is this Medley guy really a find by Butch (who made most of his time in the Buckeye state)?
My son goes to Wilhoit. There's a reason Medley and every kid loves him. He's the best in the game. My son plays for Blackman. They don't have a kicking coach. Just Google Wilhoit. It's expensive but worth it.

VN Store

Back