'13 OH WR Shelton Gibson

"I mean, Tennessee was always in the mix," said Gibson when asked where his weekend in Knoxville left the Vols. "I've got a lot to talk about with my mom."

Gibson said he committed to the Mountaineers because he had a good connection with coach Dana Holgerson, the West Virginia players and appreciated the safety of the environment. That latter factor is something that Gibson indicated would play a key role in his final decision.

"I'm just going down there. I'm going to go down there and come back up here," Gibson said of planning to visit the Mountaineers next weekend and coming back to UT on the final weekend before signing day on Feb. 6. "It's going to come down to Tennessee and West Virginia.

"(Knoxville) is much bigger, a lot more people here, but the thing is, is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

Safety, Gibson said, is a prominent factor "because, like, I want to be somewhere where I can just play football and go to school, so that I don't have to worry about anything."

The U.S. Army All-American said he had strong relationships with both Jones, hired Dec. 7 to take over the struggling UT program, and new linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. Gibson praised both Vols coaches for their straightforward approaches.

"I got a lot of one-on-one time with (Jones). Got to talk to him about how Tennessee really is," said Gibson, who had consulted both Jeremy Graves and Travis Kelce, players under Jones, about the Vols' new coach. "Coming down here I didn't know anything about their traditions like the 'Vol Walk,' and it was amazing. At dinner it was like we were introduced like a game day. It was amazing.

"I know coach Thigpen and I know coach Jones a lot. I was about to commit to Auburn (where Thigpen previously coached) when they gave me the offer and I was about to commit the next morning. I was about to commit to coach Thigpen the next morning. Because he's just like one of those coaches that you can go to and be like if you've got a personal problem, you can talk to and he'll understand what you're talking about. He keeps everything 100 and that's one of those things that's a big thing with me. You've just got to keep everything 100."

Dang I didn't know we had a real shot with this guy. With Harris, and possibly North and Gibson. Wow 3 big time receivers. Plus Bowles from last year.

Spread? Read option? Who cares! If I were CBJ, given the results of yesterday and last weekend, I'd be telling recruits, "See what Harbaugh has the 49'ers and Kaepernick running? That's what our offense will look like."

More good quotes from the WVU site. Lovely group of people up there.

"I don't buy they are sooooo much better. Not that much more appealing place to play these days for national TV exposure, I'd say we are more relevant these days. It'd take a decade of poor seasons to be on par with how bad they've been. They've suxed before before Fulmer and they have suxed since. Majors did much more at sPitt. I remember watching Majors team practice his first year and knew right then with what Nehlen built we could compete. Doubted it before.

If he's into nice practice facilities and playing in front of larger crowds he's could flip, however, I think he sees getting a 130 balls (80 more a yr. more than at UT) tossed his way is a great opportunity for NFL expsoure than playing for ole Butch at rotten crotch. He will play just as many big games if not more at WVU and on national TV with great home crowd support.

Been there and seen its and even the real UT, Longhorns. "

"My point is Dixie Land is the most racist region of the country by far...bar none."

Obviously you've never been to a southern town and experienced racism. The good ole boys from TN would open your eyes.

Knoxville is NOT a nice town....

If anyone has ever been to West Virginia, then you would know how backwards and inbred these guys are. This really makes me laugh. These guys haven't won an important football game in 40 years. LOL

He can get half the catches here and have just the same production, get the same exposure, and be a part of an explosive offense where the pressure isn't all on him.

Last edited:
Also hysterical that they think back woods West Virginia is any less racist than "Dixie Land."

The only difference I've seen is that in Dixie Land the ignorant don't always live in double-wides.

First off, this guy's quote loses all credibility, because he is borderline illiterate.

Also...I'm fairly certain we play more big games, on a bigger stage, and more televised games than WVU.

Yes, they've had some good players in the past few years, but really? We will likely have two WR's taken prior to their best one in the draft this year. Let's get real West Virginia fans.

VN Store

Back