'13 OH K Andrew Gantz (UT w/o commit 1/31)

Same school as mike nuggent. Hopefully he comes here and has the same success as nuggent did at osu

I went to HS not far from there. Kind of biased about it, but guys from Ohio know how to play football. From everything I have seen he has proven himself on the field and in camps. This is the year to grab one if a slot is available because they need every spot they have next season to upgrade the roster.

Time for the kicking problems to come to an end.

Reactions: 2 people
If I had a kid that loved football I'd be teaching him everything there is to know about kicking. A great kicker is few and far between, but even a decent one can get a full ride to just about anywhere he wants to go if he proves himself worthy in summer camps.

I'd say line up our 4(5-6-7) kickers on Kick-off all running towards the ball.................

What the heck?!?! it's worth a try.

Can anyone explain the 2 rating thing with 247? Also, if this guy is the 8th best kicker in the nation, why did he just get his first scholarship offer in Dec from Utah?

Just looking at his senior stats, I'm completely flummoxed that we're apparently looking at Gantz:
* punting average: 34.9 yards
* kickoff average: 52 yards (in college, that would equate to the 13-yard line; only 18 of his 46 kickoffs were touchbacks)
* field goals: 2-4 (long of 45)
* PAT: 4-4

Even if we're considering an offer to Gantz as a preferred walk-on, I have to wonder what it's based on. Another kicker, Jason Kaczala, handled almost all of Centerville's PAT attempts over the past two seasons, and Gantz had no FG attempts prior to his senior year.

Keep in mind that next year is a banner year in Tennessee for kickers with Medley, Gaglianone, and Wunderlich, among others.

Last edited:
I think a lot of this is the fact is we will have room. If we were signing 27, maybe this is not a kicker year, but if we end up with 23 or 24, and will need a kicker in cycle next year, why not bring one in now.

Andrew Gantz ‏@AGantz3

Had a great time today in Knoxville! The Tennessee campus, facilities, and coaches are top notch! Now have a 5 hr car ride to think #vols

Andrew Gantz ‏@AGantz3

Had a great time today in Knoxville! The Tennessee campus, facilities, and coaches are top notch! Now have a 5 hr car ride to think #vols

We offering a scholarship or as a walkon? With the offer from Utah, I would think we would have to put a scholarship on the table to get him.

There's a video at the bottom of one of the links in here. Really impressed with his kicking. Kicked a couple of 60 yarders and had really great height on them. Not a low line drive kicker at distance so no worry about kicking into the center's a$$. Check out the video...really solid mechanically.

If he can make FGs and XPs give him a F'n Scholarship

I think that is the problem. With the Palardy disaster (he made plenty of FGs and XPs in high school) and 88 kickers currently on scholarship, staff might be gun shy putting out another schollie for another kicker. :eek:lol: I completely agree with your statement though.

VN Store

Back