'13 JUCO DB Riyahd Jones (UT commit 12/21/12)

I've removed Blair and VP from my list, since my intention was to show what has been proven already. I just threw them on the list last second, based in what we have seen so far, thinking the following statements would clarify what I meant, but some still dont seem to jive, so no worries :hi:

As for Sentimore vs Couch, Sentmore's career totals were 18 tackles at TN. 1.5 tackles per game is not anywhere close to acceptable for a DE. He also loses points for inexplicably declaring for the draft. He probably never even entered a UT classroom. This is coming from a player who some thought was "one of the best DL in the nation"

Couch, as a DT averaged 3 tackles per game. He didn't even approach his 5* rating, but he also had his senior year taken away.

Both players disappointed. You may categorize them how you'd like

Sentimore not producing was all on him. He played hard maybe two games. Was bullying Bama's good O-line but nonexistent against trash teams. That was just downright ridiculous.......

Reactions: 2 people
I figured Foreman was ahead of Jones on the outside. Payne and Coleman seem to battling it out for the NB spot. Right now, Jones is depth and I think we would be in pretty big trouble if he has to play a lot next year.

I figured Foreman was ahead of Jones on the outside. Payne and Coleman seem to battling it out for the NB spot. Right now, Jones is depth and I think we would be in pretty big trouble if he has to play a lot next year.
I think Jones is ahead and that's why the staff is thinking of switching Malik to slot WR. Because he's not going to get a whole lot of PT. Might be off

Payne is solely a nickel to me. Never had a chance as an outside CB but has all the tools to be a great nickel for us. JMO

Riyahd is a good dude and I think he will make a few plays for us this year, but I didn't understand the hype when he committed to us anyways. JuCo players are so here and there, it's hard to get a good read if they will do anything at the next level. On one hand you have guys like Woody Quinn, and on the other guys like CP.

I always liked Malik in the slot anyway. More natural offensive player than defensive.

Folks that saw him in HS generally agreed with that statement.

It's the Teague thing without the lack of speed issue. Teague had stiff hips and an aversion to contact in addition to no recovery speed. Yet, he was a natural in the slot as he knew how to find the holes in the coverage and had good hands and instincts. Malik has better speed with the same instincts.

Riyahd is a good dude and I think he will make a few plays for us this year, but I didn't understand the hype when he committed to us anyways. JuCo players are so here and there, it's hard to get a good read if they will do anything at the next level. On one hand you have guys like Woody Quinn, and on the other guys like CP.

well, all i know is there was NO hype when Quinn signed.

Reactions: 1 person
Riyahd wasn't really hyped coming in. I think it was more of a HOPE thing since we were desparate for corners. He was a 3 star.

Quinn - I thought would be a steal based on pass catch ability but apparently isn't tough enough. Again just a 2 star. So I call that hope more than hype.

McCullers - I don't think of him as a bust. He did start every game for two years and had his moments. He was better his first year in the 3-4 setting and was prob out of place in 4-3. He will get drafted. He lacks effort at times not ability.

Couch - If he had not got in trouble I wouldn't have considered him a bust either. Solid player. Overrated as a 5 star coming out but deserving of a 4 star.

Sentimore- effort issue not talent. We should have known Saban kicked him off for a reason. Had his moments. He might have been better on a less awful overall defense and depressing coach.

Moore- total bust as a player but not as a person and representative of the university. 3 star prospect more than a 5 star.

It sounds like Owen Williams will be a winner. We will see.

I personally worried about Blair being ready immediately as he looked out of shape. It sounds like a conditioning and effort thing more than talent. I think this staff gets it out of him.

I have my doubts that Weatherd lives up to his #1 Lb juco spot.

One opinion I am beginning to have on JUCO's... more often than not, if they were not highly recruited in HS, and just blew up at JUCO, don't expect much. If they were highly recruited in HS, and didn't have the grades, or transferred out, (Kamara, CP, Jovon Robinson) then there is some potential there. Of course, some are not highly recruited because of grades, (CP) so there is some gray area there.

One opinion I am beginning to have on JUCO's... more often than not, if they were not highly recruited in HS, and just blew up at JUCO, don't expect much. If they were highly recruited in HS, and didn't have the grades, or transferred out, (Kamara, CP, Jovon Robinson) then there is some potential there. Of course, some are not highly recruited because of grades, (CP) so there is some gray area there.

I hope Von Pearson is way outside the box here...

Riyahd Jones2⃣1⃣ ‏@CoolJones_ · 4m
gotta start packing to blow this joint.

Just saw this tweet. Is he leaving the team?

I believe he would do well to transfer back to the 1A level so he could play his senior year as I just don't see him with any substantial playing time at UT.

I believe he would do well to transfer back to the 1A level so he could play his senior year as I just don't see him with any substantial playing time at UT.

That's why the tweet caught me off guard. After all I've heard about him not performing well I figured he was headed elsewhere.

VN Store

Back