'13 GA OLB Reuben Foster

I can't believe Cam's back taking classes. I know for a fact he didn't have much interest in them the semester he was here. Good for him, I guess.

I would be shocked if he is anywhere close to getting his degree. Very odd but refreshing. Long road ahead to finish

scout
"Coach Saban didn't come in here and beg me to go to Alabama, but he told me that he really wants me there. Coach Saban is different and he is a business guy, so he makes his point clear, and that is it."

so much for the rumor that bama wouldnt take him of they had the chance

I would be shocked if he is anywhere close to getting his degree.

Well, he's frequenting the big buildings on the campus where they hold classes and students attend and take tests and if they do good, they get degrees...so, technically speaking, he's closer than he's ever been.

The Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback has returned to campus in an effort to make good on a promise he made years ago to his mother. Jackie Newton encouraged her son's athletic career yet insisted that a college degree was the most important part of playing college ball. Cam Newton promised his mother that he'd earn a college degree. He's here to make good.

For the first time since early October 2010, Newton isn't in the national spotlight. He's simply trying to ease into the university system as anonymously as possible. He's a student taking courses, not the millionaire quarterback who's become a fixture on ESPN and the NFL Network.

When Newton left school and entered the NFL Draft in 2011, many assumed he'd never return. The quarterback used Auburn, they postulated, and would toss aside all allegiances once the Carolina Panthers picked him No. 1 overall.

Guess what? Newton returned last spring to watch his statue unveiled along the east side of Jordan-Hare Stadium. In September, he shuttled himself to Atlanta and addressed the Tigers prior to their season-opening game against Clemson.

Now this. Newton has dumped his playbook for a notebook. He's back on campus yet again to finish what he started in the classroom three years ago. And he doesn't have to be here.

Newton already is worth at least $22 million via his guaranteed contract with the Panthers. Terms of his apparel deal with Under Armour are elusive, though it's reasonable to assume that agreement yields at least another $1 million per year.

- Excerpts from Rivals article

The Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback has returned to campus in an effort to make good on a promise he made years ago to his mother. Jackie Newton encouraged her son's athletic career yet insisted that a college degree was the most important part of playing college ball. Cam Newton promised his mother that he'd earn a college degree. He's here to make good.

For the first time since early October 2010, Newton isn't in the national spotlight. He's simply trying to ease into the university system as anonymously as possible. He's a student taking courses, not the millionaire quarterback who's become a fixture on ESPN and the NFL Network.

When Newton left school and entered the NFL Draft in 2011, many assumed he'd never return. The quarterback used Auburn, they postulated, and would toss aside all allegiances once the Carolina Panthers picked him No. 1 overall.

Guess what? Newton returned last spring to watch his statue unveiled along the east side of Jordan-Hare Stadium. In September, he shuttled himself to Atlanta and addressed the Tigers prior to their season-opening game against Clemson.

Now this. Newton has dumped his playbook for a notebook. He's back on campus yet again to finish what he started in the classroom three years ago. And he doesn't have to be here.

Newton already is worth at least $22 million via his guaranteed contract with the Panthers. Terms of his apparel deal with Under Armour are elusive, though it's reasonable to assume that agreement yields at least another $1 million per year.

What's he getting his degree in? Finance?

He should probably try and figure out how to play QB in the NFL first before he gets a degree. This story reeks of Vince Young.

He should probably try and figure out how to play QB in the NFL first before he gets a degree. This story reeks of Vince Young.

He is better than you are giving him credit for.His team blows. Young wishes he had the physical tools Cam has. He is mentally tougher as well.

He is better than you are giving him credit for.His team blows. Young wishes he had the physical tools Cam has. He is mentally tougher as well.

His mental energy should be focused towards becoming a better QB rather then learning microeconomics. Pretty sure this guy is not going to want to take a job at Enterprise..

Reactions: 1 person
Did Vince Young quietly go back to Texas to get a degree?

Yes he did, at least that what's he said when he was with the Titan's. He was going back to Austin and taking classes, and there was a dispute about him learning the new playbook and him taking classes at Austin.

The comparison is asinine at best. The only reason he made it is because they're both black QBs.

Are you serious right now? First off, when did I EVER say it was because they were both black QB's? Please put more words in my mouth.

BTW, both are mobile QB's who won NC's at their respective colleges, were taken in the Top 3 in the NFL draft in their respective draft class, and both went to terrible teams. Your argument about me saying it's because they are "black" is not only unfounded, but borderline incomprehensible.

Cam newton is way better than vy

Agreed, was curious as to how this is similar to the VY saga. VY was a head case that wasn't too high on academics. Cam by all accounts seems like a good guy who is making good on his word to his Mom. Cam could probably work on his post game interviewing skills, but in no way reminds me of VY.

Last edited:
Are you serious right now? First off, when did I EVER say it was because they were both black QB's? Please put more words in my mouth.

Why then did you compare him to Vince Young? They are not similar in personality, football skill or in QB style. So I'm failing to see a comparison except for their skin color being similar.

Yes he did, at least that what's he said when he was with the Titan's. He was going back to Austin and taking classes, and there was a dispute about him learning the new playbook and him taking classes at Austin.

Ok, I didn't remember VY going back to school. Still think they are on different planets when it comes to their mentality.

Why then did you compare him to Vince Young? They are not similar in personality, football skill or in QB style. So I'm failing to see a comparison except for their skin color being similar.

Read my above post dude.

You defaulting to skin color is disturbing.

Ok, I didn't remember VY going back to school. Still think they are on different planets when it comes to their mentality.

I mean we both don't know the guys on a personal level so mentality is judged quite subjectively, and VY like Cam won plenty of games his first year, both being Rookie of the Year.

I mean we both don't know the guys on a personal level so mentality is judged quite subjectively, and VY like Cam won plenty of games his first year, both being Rookie of the Year.

True. Think they are different QBs. Cam seems to be more content staying in the pocket and has the tools to do so. VYs arm wasn't near as strong, and if his first read wasn't there he turned into a RB.

VN Store

Back