'13 AL RB Johnathan Ford (no longer a Vandy commit)

Texas is after Barber and Ford? How are there not enough RB's in the state of Texas for them?

They are also after Alex Collins and I heard they spoke to JoJo Kemp as well. IMO Larry Porter pulling in his Florida ans SE recruiting contacts. The man is a great RB coach and a better recruiter.

Well my Vandy friend tells me that his spot would be no longer guaranteed. Like if they got Wilkins and Elder to give more solid commitments then Rudy would be left without a spot.
But if they don't get what they want out of the RB's then Rudy's spot would still be there on NSD for his "The Decision".

I would just wait and see a) if he takes more visits after this weekend b) keep on his decision on NSD and c) Wilkins and/or Elder commit.
If any of those happen then my Vandy insider says that Rudy would most likely not have a spot.

Seems like the Vandy staff is uber stuck on loyalty.
Quit the charade

Reactions: 1 person
Do you really think if Ford takes more visits, then calls Franklin to tell him he still wants to come to VU, he wouldn't take him?

No, not at all. I do, however, think that Franklin would say, "Since you are not totally committed to VU football, we have other scholarship offers out to capable RB's who may take your place. We need players committed to Vanderbilt and can't take any chances on being burned like we were last year."

What's unreasonable about that?

Reactions: 1 person
No, not at all. I do, however, think that Franklin would say, "Since you are not totally committed to VU football, we have other scholarship offers out to capable RB's who may take your place. We need players committed to Vanderbilt and can't take any chances on being burned like we were last year."

What's unreasonable about that?

I get having contingencies. But the fact remains, under any circumstances, if Ford wants to sign with VU on Feb. 6, they are going to take him.

Well my Vandy friend tells me that his spot would be no longer guaranteed. Like if they got Wilkins and Elder to give more solid commitments then Rudy would be left without a spot.
But if they don't get what they want out of the RB's then Rudy's spot would still be there on NSD for his "The Decision".

I would just wait and see a) if he takes more visits after this weekend b) keep on his decision on NSD and c) Wilkins and/or Elder commit.
If any of those happen then my Vandy insider says that Rudy would most likely not have a spot.

Seems like the Vandy staff is uber stuck on loyalty.

Juggling recruits / commits, etc. while doing the number crunching has to be a huge headache.

That being said, if a school (Vandy) is not comfortable enough with what they have to offer a recruit that they have to resort to name calling (not a man) and putting restrictions as to whether a commit can visit other schools without threatening to pull a firm offer....then the school (Vandy) really is not going to be a factor in college football.

What's unreasonable about that?[/QUOTE]

You seem to be implying that anything about the recruiting process is reasonable. Coaches offer kids then pull the offer. Kids "commit" on a Sunday while at a school and then back off the "commitment" by the end of the next week. It reminds of the process of getting a prom date only much worse.

And for a coach to think that he is not going to get burned, seriously, that is the only guarantee in the recruiting season.....somebody is going to get burned.

I get having contingencies. But the fact remains, under any circumstances, if Ford wants to sign with VU on Feb. 6, they are going to take him.

Of course they are going to sign him if he wants in.

To make sense of my example, look what LSU did with Frank Herron. He becomes interested in visiting Tennessee, and the LSU staff immediately threatens him with a loss of spot if he even considers Tennessee. As a result, Herron dismisses Tennessee as a possibility altogether. In the end, do I think Herron would've been cut by LSU if he visited Tennessee? No. It's just part of the game.

What's unreasonable about that?[/QUOTE]

You seem to be implying that anything about the recruiting process is reasonable. Coaches offer kids then pull the offer. Kids "commit" on a Sunday while at a school and then back off the "commitment" by the end of the next week. It reminds of the process of getting a prom date only much worse.

And for a coach to think that he is not going to get burned, seriously, that is the only guarantee in the recruiting season.....somebody is going to get burned.

I implied nothing of the sort about recruiting. I asked what was unreasonable about a school threatening a committed prospect with a loss of spot. We've already seen an example in LSU in the last month.

I think it's good timing that he visited here and had a great visit, got the Auburn offer and then Jay Graham will be in there tomorrow to continue to foster that relationship.

I think Auburn will be a factor and I'd suspect they'd get a visit. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

-Fortenberry

i am one that does not care about *** rankings over rated imo,, but i do hope we can get a couple good backs in this class i like ford, but dont think hes a VOL.....

Of course they are going to sign him if he wants in.

To make sense of my example, look what LSU did with Frank Herron. He becomes interested in visiting Tennessee, and the LSU staff immediately threatens him with a loss of spot if he even considers Tennessee. As a result, Herron dismisses Tennessee as a possibility altogether. In the end, do I think Herron would've been cut by LSU if he visited Tennessee? No. It's just part of the game.

Coaches can grandstand all day long about it being a loyalty issue, but in most cases, this is just used as a scare tactic to keep a prospect from visiting other schools.

A prospect like Herron should never let LSU scare him into not taking visits if he wants to take some. He should realize that he is an elite level talent, and he has the majority of the leverage in his situation. If LSU wants to play hard ball, there will be dozens of other schools lining up for his services.

Coaches can grandstand all day long about it being a loyalty issue, but in most cases, this is just used as a scare tactic to keep a prospect from visiting other schools.

A prospect like Herron should never let LSU scare him into not taking visits if he wants to take some. He should realize that he is an elite level talent, and he has the majority of the leverage in his situation. If LSU wants to play hard ball, there will be dozens of other schools lining up for his services.

I'm not going to sit here and say what a prospect should or shouldn't do in that situation. However, your first paragraph sums up my point.

I implied nothing of the sort about recruiting. I asked what was unreasonable about a school threatening a committed prospect with a loss of spot. We've already seen an example in LSU in the last month.
Ok, then. Franklin is unreasonable when it comes to hanging onto a recruit when a better program offers one of his verbal commitments.

I'm assuming the RB Danny Parker was talking about on twitter is Ford? Said there are rumors of a 4 star running back committing to Vols

VN Store

Back