'12 AL DT Justin Shanks

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was hoping guys would decommit, I don't. I like our class. I was just hoping for clarification from OCI.

OCI said "a number of guys" and with the way we look with guys like O'Brien, Patterson, Jelks, Autry, Howard, etc...it would seem that if OCI is accurate in what he says, a few guys will have to decommit or we might not land the guys we're looking to at this time.

Either way we're looking to close very strong, top 10 for sure, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've previously stated this in another thread, but look for us to finish with a number of players previously committed elsewhere. The staff's approach is paying off with a lot of kids that made early commitments in the spring/summer. The staff is selling UT instead of bashing the schools where the kids are currently committed. This positive recruiting allows us to get our foot in the door, get kids on campus for official visits, and sell what UT has to offer (which for Shanks is early PT). UT football is back.

Besides Shanks, who are some other names currently committed elsewhere that you are hearing about in regards to Tennessee?

Besides Shanks, who are some other names currently committed elsewhere that you are hearing about in regards to Tennessee?

Quinteze WIlliams, JaQuay WIlliams, and Sandy Hook Teammate.
Earl Moore

Also you have to remember there is two major sanctions coming down for tOSU and Miami, so if there is postseason ban or TV ban then commits will likely look other places. Raphael Kirby could be one of the many to look around.

Cole TE committed to UGA, but may come in to just see UGA play.

So now that we have O'brien in the fold. How do we move forward with Shanks?

Things we have going for us:

We can offer immediate playing time if he earns it.
We are a traditional powerhouse back on the rise.
We play in the best conference in college football.
All of our players seem to think highly of the staff and "family atmosphere" is mentioned a lot.
Football is our other religion, so he'll experiece a passionate fanbase.
We are UT, the real UT, and we are awesome.

And hopefully some of our recruits reach out to him and convince him to come and be a part of something special.

I'd really like for this young man to put on the Orange & White.

I know you live close by, how do you think it ends up with Shanks?

It comes down to him choosing between going to school with his best friend at FSU and waiting in line behind 11 other DT's or coming to UT and playing immediately in the SEC. It's similar to the DaRick/Nance situation.

It comes down to him choosing between going to school with his best friend at FSU and waiting in line behind 11 other DT's or coming to UT and playing immediately in the SEC. It's similar to the DaRick/Nance situation.

Well we know how to solve that problem!

Do you think he is considering anyone other than UT and FSU?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Any way he could convince his friend to come here, or is his friend already a player at FSU?

Sean Price, top 5 TE, USF commit, will be here for LSU game. He is a bigger priority than Meredith and we have a realistic shot.

I'd be good with Meredith, but Price is the TE I'd love to see Tennessee land. He is an athletic freak. He'd definitely be my #1 priority at TE, but if Meredith wants to commit first it would be hard to turn him down.

I'd be good with Meredith, but Price is the TE I'd love to see Tennessee land. He is an athletic freak. He'd definitely be my #1 priority at TE, but if Meredith wants to commit first it would be hard to turn him down.

Agreed. I wonder how the coaches are going to handle Meredith's situation with Price visiting next weekend. It's a good situation to have, but I can imagine Meredith may feel some pressure to commit with a more highly rated TE visiting the following week. I'd take either, but like Price as the #1 too. Price really seems interested after reading a few articles about him.

Don't count us out for Shanks, especially if he comes for an OV. This one isn't over IMO.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Justin's best friend is a PHS 4star OL that commited to FSU in the 10th grade. His friend for some very strange reason is walking on at FSU (thus far... HS jr.) while Justin has a scholly. Justin and his buddy need a package scholly offer and we are set. The difference between DaRick/Nance and this deal is Nance wasnt a 4 star with DaRick...Get this done CLT!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back