GARICWHARTON4_7150.JPG

Las Vegas (NV) Valley

Ht: 6'0
Wt: 165 lbs
Forty: 4.42 secs
Vertical: 36 inches
Shuttle: 4.40 secs
Class: 2010

He averaged 13.85 yards per reception last year, despite being routinely double-teamed. His only offers so far are from UNLV and Utah, but he's apparently hearing from Tennessee, UCLA and Oregon in addition to other schools mostly in the west.

If you have a Rivals account, I highly recommend watching highlight clip #3.

I can do a lot of things, but I pride myself on my speed. I can go up and get the ball over most of the guys, but I don't think anybody can hang with me in the open field, and that's my biggest asset.

I want to get better at my route running and my jukes. If my jukes were a little better, then I could get open even more. I have the speed to get places, but my cutting and head fakes would allow me to make even more big plays. I'll also keep working hard on running more precise routes that will allow me to get open more and the put my speed to good use.

Rivals premium article

(+)
possesses elite speed and has the ability to make tacklers miss in the open field. has big-play capability. holds the state record in the 200m with a blazing time of 21.1 seconds. he has even faster times than this, but due to state guidelines, the athletic association only recognizes electronically-timed records from the state championships.

(-)
isn't playing against elite competition or at an elite program. his small frame may not hold up against SEC tacklers. most likely lacks the strength to beat jams when matched up against higher-caliber DB's. until he improves his strength, he'll have to solely rely on his speed.

Garic Wharton - Football Recruiting
Scout.com: Garic Wharton Profile
Garic Wharton - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN
Garic Wharton Valley High School Football Stats 08-09 - MaxPreps

Last edited:
They pretty much summed up the SEC caliber questions ........and shouldnt we be focused on BIG WRs ? I mea we have a good stable, we need a big beautiful stallion !

They pretty much summed up the SEC caliber questions ........and shouldnt we be focused on BIG WRs ? I mea we have a good stable, we need a big beautiful stallion !

we are talking about football players still...aren't we?:ermm:

and shouldnt we be focused on BIG WRs ?

guys who are 6'3 to 6'6 usually don't catch balls thrown 50 yards down field, though. we put the big guys in the slot to catch balls over the middle and sink down into the soft spots of zones. then we put burners on the outside to stretch the field vertically. keeping the big guys inside also puts our stronger guys in the middle to block for the run. size over the middle and burners on the sidelines creates mismatches all over the field. in Kiffin's system, the WR's will have some variation in where they line up pre-snap. Wharton is track fast and with someone like him and Nu'Keese to compliment a guy like Justin Hunter or Matt Milton plus a Bryce Brown/David Oku we would have guys all over the field that can't be covered consistently.

guys who are 6'3 to 6'6 usually don't catch balls thrown 50 yards down field, though. we put the big guys in the slot to catch balls over the middle and sink down into the soft spots of zones. then we put burners on the outside to stretch the field vertically. keeping the big guys inside also puts our stronger guys in the middle to block for the run. size over the middle and burners on the sidelines creates mismatches all over the field. in Kiffin's system, the WR's will have some variation in where they line up pre-snap. Wharton is track fast and with someone like him and Nu'Keese to compliment a guy like Justin Hunter or Matt Milton plus a Bryce Brown/David Oku we would have guys all over the field that can't be covered consistently.

While I understand what you're saying and understand that this is how it is traditionally done, I have always thought that having smaller faster guys in the slot that are quicker than lbs and bigger, taller guys that have a size advantage on normal dbs would technically be much more of a mismatch. It seems to me that putting bigger guys in the middle with bigger defenders and smaller faster guys with smaller faster defenders on the outside really just ends up seeing who has the bigger/stronger or faster/quicker players

While I understand what you're saying and understand that this is how it is traditionally done, I have always thought that having smaller faster guys in the slot that are quicker than lbs and bigger, taller guys that have a size advantage on normal dbs would technically be much more of a mismatch. It seems to me that putting bigger guys in the middle with bigger defenders and smaller faster guys with smaller faster defenders on the outside really just ends up seeing who has the bigger/stronger or faster/quicker players

small fast guys generally line up in the slot. at USC, Mike Williams often lined up at the top and ran into the middle on slant routes. his size and range allowed him to catch anything thrown his way as long as he could get one half step on the defender. Dwayne Jarrett, the speed guy, compiled most of his highlights running fades and posts.

here's an excerpt from a Scout article by Randy Moore---

The pro-style offense Kiffin utilizes relies heavily on short passes into high-traffic areas. Obviously, catching the ball in traffic requires some strength and toughness.

Scout.com: X marks the spot

In Kiffin's attack, the "X" wide receiver will line up in the slot and then he has to be covered by a linebacker or safety. I believe I read in a Rivals article that the "X" receiver is lined up in 3 different positins pre-snap. I expect to see the speed guy and the big body to routinely line up at different positions so the defense has to think, instead of just play.

the guy runs a 21.1 in the 200. thats crazy. give him a scholly, and if he cant make it on the football field, send him over to tom black track and see if he can get it done over there

a special request on the Scout premium board has James Bryant tracking down various recruits in order to get some updates.

Garic Wharton was one name in the post and a new article maintains Wharton is highly interested in the Vols. He may, however, not be able to make it to camp, in order to earn an offer in-person.

Wharton has a great attitude and seems really savvy based on his remarks in the interview with Bryant.

VN Store

Back