Recruiting Forum: Official Missouri Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee travels to Mizzou, where despite having a cute stadium with gravel on one end, they have yet to win. Let's see how the Vols measure up against the Tigers this year.

Keys to Victory:

1. Another Notch on the Belt: Butch continues to add notches to his belt this season, and he can get a few "firsts" this week. This would be his first victory over Mizzou, secure a winning record in the regular season, 4 game winning streak, and 4 straight victories division foes.

2. Ride out the emotional storm: Weird stuff has been happening out in Columbia. This will be Gary Pinkel's final game at home, and it is very likely that the team will be ready to rise above the circumstances, and give the Vols their best to "win one for the Pinkel." These emotions don't usually carry for the full game, and can even backfire with tightness in the players, so Tennessee needs to come out strong, and ride out the storm.

3. Score early: Tennessee has a knack for scoring early, and then loses a bit of their mojo. Mizzou has an outstanding ddefense on paper, but the truth is, they have not faced any outstanding offenses. Miss. State (40), BYU (45) and Ark St. (46) averaged 22.7 PPG against them. Tennessee is currently 48th, but our schedule has been heinous, so I would look for the Vols to pass that 22 point barrier, which should be enough to win. Mizzou is also facing big losses on defense, so that plays to the Vols advantage.

4. Go "Full-Dobbs":
Dobbs struggled last week, and has struggled against Mizzou in the past seasons as well. I'm not sure how much the foot is bothering him, but we need his legs to pick up some key 3rd downs, and for the passing game to be on point. The Mizzou DL will create pressure, and Dobbs must be ready to run and not make poor decisions in the passing game.

5. Stingy D: Mizzou is putrid on offense. Our defense should simply not allow them to move the ball. Avoid big plays, and the defense should have enough to win this game on their own.

6. Turnovers: This is the great equalizer. If we do not give them opportunities, we should win. If we do give them opportunities, Florida 2014 game is waiting to happen

Prediction: Mizzou is not good enough on offense to beat Tennessee. Provided the Vols do not lose the field position game with turnovers, they win it. I think injuries take a toll on Mizzou, and the Vols surprise a bit.

TN 24
Mizzou 10

Reactions: 14 people
Vols 17 Mizzou 13

Mizzou's only touchdown is a 95 yard fumble return TD in the first quarter

Two different predictions for me...if Dobbs has a good game passing, consistently accurate and on time...Vawls win 27-13...if Dobbs sucks passing, Misery wins 16-13.

31-10 Vols. Tired of second guessing outcomes. This is how it should be barring no stupid stuff happening.

Reactions: 1 person
A dominant win where we run the ball at will against Mizzou would be therapeutic. It's possible too with a Kerbyson/Robertson/Thomas/Jones/Hall OL lineup.

Was their defense better last year? Their offense was and even if they are better it will be somewhat mitigated/neutralized due to having to be on the field so often. Close game until the very end, a late touchdown against their gassed defense seals this one.

17-10 Vols.

(My crazy predictions: Preston Williams catches a 50-yard pass. And they don't offensively pass midfield in the second half)

Overcome all the emotions and sentiment in this game, and find a way to JUST WIN!!!

When I looked at the weather this morning, it showed sunny and cold for Saturday. 19-13 Vols.

VN Store

Back