Early look at 2017 Rivals 100: "The talent of this class...is off the hook."

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals.com 2017 Rivals100 to Watch

Four players from the state of Tennessee, that are high on the Vols, made the initial top 100 watch list: Maleik Gray (ATH), Jacoby Stevens (ATH), Ty Chandler (RB), and Tee Higgins (WR). Two other prospects that are high on the Vols, Deangelo Gibbs (DB) and Hunter Johnson (QB), are ranked at the top of this class either as 5 star prospects or soon to be 5 star prospects.

We already knew that the in-state talent here at Tennessee for 2017 was shaping up to be an all-time special group. Now it looks like the talent across the nation will also be very special. With the Vols being in this early on so many of the most highly touted prospects in this extremely talented class, you can't help but get excited. It looks like the 2017 recruiting class has the potential to be one of the best ever for Tennessee.

The recruiting game is speeding up, anyone who covers or follows it knows that. Prospects are getting offered in middle school now and select freshmen and sophomores have numerous offers already. So, to stay with the times, Rivals.com -- the biggest and most respected service in the recruiting industry -- is making history with our earliest release ever with the class of 2017 Rivals100 Presented By Under Armour. There are eight initial five-stars, but obviously the most famous of the bunch is Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab linebacker Dylan Moses, who has been on everyone's radar since middle school.

Let's make one thing clear -- this is not a numerically ordered Rivals100 like the others. We've done alphabetical watch lists in the past, but those days are gone. However, we don't feel we have enough data yet on these prospects to put them in sequential order. After all, we are going off sophomore film and in-person evaluations on prospects that are still growing into different positions and haven't come close to their potential.

But I will admit, the talent in this class, based on those evaluations, is off the hook. Moses, an LSU commitment, is an obvious freak of nature who could end up as a huge running back, a linebacker or a defensive end. He gets bigger each time I see him and doesn't lose any of his quick-twitch ability. He is joined as a five-star by a few other prospects who could grow into different positions as well, including Suwanee (Ga.) Peachtree Ridge safety DeAngelo Gibbs and Chesapeake (Va.) Indian River safety Devon Hunter, who both could grow into linebackers or stay as elite, massive safeties. Offensive tackles Calvin Ashley from Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy and Josh Myers from Miamisburg, Ohio were arguably the two best offensive linemen at the Elite50 Presented By Under Armour in January and are elite prospects at their position regardless of class.

Rounding out the five-stars are Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas wide receiver Trevon Grimes, a big and agile receiver for his age, defensive back Darnay Holmes from Newbury Park, Calif., a big, thick corner, and Antioch (Calif.) Antioch Senior running back Najee Harris, who reminds me of Derrick Henry a bit at the same age, although a bit more explosive.

A few of the high four-stars were also in discussion for an early five-star. Clairton, Pa. athlete Lamont Wade, is an exceptional prospect who could play defense or offense in college and is very under recruited still at this point. Santee (S.C.) Lake Marion safety Davondre Robinson has amazing sophomore film, and Brownsburg, Ind., quarterback Hunter Johnson is emerging as a potentially special signal-caller. There are many others as well, too many to name really.

Mike Farrell
National Recruiting Director Follow @rivalsmike https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1743826

Reactions: 5 people
You can bet that Butch and staff are talking to 2017 guys...a lot. Butch doesn't know the words "too early". :)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
I refuse to get excited about recruits who can't even drive yet.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 people
Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we??

Not really. Alot of these guys are being talked about as the best players at their position or in their state regardless of class. I don't know if that means the 2016 class is gonna be a down year or if the 2017 class is gonna be an all-timer. But in terms of buzz, alot of the kids in this 2017 class have been getting talked about since they were freshmen in high school.

I just find it comical that, in a recruiting thread, we have people who feel the need to say that they are not excited about the potential of a class that's a whopping 2 years out.

I guess Hunter Johnson isn't worth the attention he's getting.

Reactions: 5 people
I just find it comical that, in a recruiting thread, we have people who feel the need to say that they are not excited about the potential of a class that's a whopping 2 years out.

I guess Hunter Johnson isn't worth the attention he's getting.

I'm glad the staff is excited about them. But as for me, I won't even get excited about this year's class until they've signed and are on campus.

The recruiting game is speeding up, anyone who covers or follows it knows that. Prospects are getting offered in middle school now and select freshmen and sophomores have numerous offers already. So, to stay with the times, Rivals.com -- the biggest and most respected service in the recruiting industry -- is making history with our earliest release ever with the class of 2017 Rivals100 Presented By Under Armour.

About time Rivals stepped up their game. This has been lacking for years.

VN Store

Back