'14 TX DE Dimarya Mixon (UT commit 11/9/13)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
DIMARYA-MIXON2_150_3_1.JPG

Strongside defensive end
Mesquite, Texas
West Mesquite
View Map
Ht:6'4"
Wt:250 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

Dimarya Mixon - Yahoo! Sports

Dimarya Mixon

Dimarya Mixon - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Dimarya Mixon signed with Nebraska in 2013 but wasn't able to make in academically but all he has to do this semester is pass a test and he will be eligible. If he passes look for the Vols to bring him on an official visit some time in November.

In talk to Mixon earlier this week he has a lot of interest in Tennessee and he's been communicating with Steve Stripling and getting to know the veteran defensive line coach as well.

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
Kid has enjoyed the recruiting process it seems. He has committed to ASU, Mizzou, Nebraska, and now is looking for another place to land.

Dimarya Mixon (pronounced duh-mare-EE-a) is part of an impessive group of defensive line prospects in the Huskers' 2013 recruiting class. Mixon joins the Nebraska program from the Texas high school ranks where he was a standout at West Mesquite High School. Mixon is one of four Texas natives in Nebraska's signing class, marking the sixth straight year NU has signed at least two players from the Lone Star State. Mixon recorded 48 tackles during his senior season, including 12 tackles for loss and a pair of sacks. He also added 11 quarterback hurries to help Coach Mike Overton's team to an 8-3 record and a trip to the Class 4A state playoffs. For his play as a senior, Mixon was a first-team all-district selection. Mixon also had a productive junior season to help West Mesquite High to the state playoffs. He recorded 35 tackles, with three tackles for loss and a fumble recovery, while pressuring opposing quarterbacks 11 times. Mixon is regarded as one of the top 50 players in Texas by Rivals.com, who also ranks him as one of the nation's top 20 strongside defensive ends. Mixon is listed among the top 40 defensive tackle prospects and as one of the top 70 players in Texas by 247 Sports. Mixon also had offers from Missouri, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Mississippi and West Virginia among others. He was born on March 10, 1995, and is the son of Tasha Mixon.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=206289462

Mixon moved from Compton, CA to Mesquite, TX a couple of years ago. He committed to Arizona St. in May 2012, Missouri in December '12, then flipped to Nebraska just before signing day.

Based on his grade issues, I bet the flip from Mizzou to Nebraska was the old SEC math requirement, but he still couldn't swing Nebraska either.

Reactions: 1 person
"I'm taking one class right now and so I'll be ready to get finished as a mid year prospect," Mixon said. "There was no point for me to be a juco and be there for two years when I could be a mid-year guy."

Steve Stripling is heading up the recruitment of the former three-star player and the veteran defensive line coach has let Mixon know how badly the Vols need defensive linemen.

"He's told me they need some d-linemen up there. He said refilling the defensive line is a big task and they need help," Mixon said. "I actually watched the game from last week and I thought that was a place I could play."

"It's just that they're rebuilding the program and they're starting from the bottom," Mixon added. "I know the coaches are doing some good thinks down there and it's exciting that's a place I could be a part of and hopefully I can get down there and take an official visit."

-VQ

Says Boise St, Wash St, and Arky are showing interest.

Mixon's visit list is very busy during the next month. At the end of the month he will visit Washington State. In November he visits Tennessee, Auburn and ASU in that order.

So this maybe another option. Says we're up there with Boise State and Washington State. Missouri wants him to visit as well.

Where in the hell are we getting the room for all these people? Reed, Malone, Jackson, Lamin, Moseley, Mixon...there's one spot left. All of these guys are takes. That's a lot of current commits that will have to be asked to take a hike.

Where in the hell are we getting the room for all these people? Reed, Malone, Jackson, Lamin, Moseley, Mixon...there's one spot left. All of these guys are takes. That's a lot of current commits that will have to be asked to take a hike.
The numbers will work themselves out trust me.

The numbers will work themselves out trust me.

By that, do you mean that Butch will ask some long committed guys to take a hike/they will leave on their "own"? I gotta be honest, unlike past years I don't see the bulk of the guys in this years class decommitting of their own accord. Its going to come down to whether or not Butch wants to upgrade his recruits and tell some guys to look around. Sucks for them but that's what the best coaches do and that's what I expect from Butch. Just wondering if that is what we are about to start seeing.

Last edited:
By that, do you mean that Butch will ask some long committed guys to take a hike/they will leave on their "own"? I gotta be honest, unlike past years I don't see the bulk of the guys in this years class decommitting of their own accord. Its going to come down to whether or not Butch wants to upgrade his recruits and tell some guys to look around. Sucks for them but that's what the best coaches do and that's what I expect from Butch. Just wondering if that is what we are to see.

I agree.

Who knows if he's a take or not. Did he even play any football this year? If you are looking for immediate help on the Dline it doesn't really make sense to take a guy who hasn't played football in over a year. That is a likely redshirt all the way. My guess and it's only a guess is that he's probably a backup plan in case they miss out on Mosley and all the JUCO Defensive Lineman. They have plenty of officials to use on guys like him and the JUCO DT committed to Texas Tech to see if they like them or not.

“I’ve been talking to Tennessee since pretty much the summertime. I’m real excited to get up there and visit[.] I’ve actually been keeping up with most of their games this season. Last year, I really didn’t know too much about them, but as they were going into the season, I learned a lot more. (I like the) facilities, everything.

“Tradition, I know they have that. Peyton Manning went there. If you don’t know that, there’s something wrong,” he added with a laugh.

“He’s just telling me it’s a rebuilding program, and coach Butch Jones is coming in doing a lot of great things,” said Mixon, who said he’s being recruited by Tennessee as a defensive end. “I have the opportunity to come in early, since I get to come in January, and possibly get in there in a starting position if I work hard enough.

“That’s one thing I like about it. That makes the decision hard because most of the schools that are recruiting me right now need depth at the position.”

“The situation is kind of hard, because they’re all offering the same thing, kind of,” Mixon said. “But Tennessee does kind of stick out, I guess you could say. I really like the head coach. Like he says, he’s building it brick by brick, and I feel like that’s probably something I can be a part of.”

He has spoken with former teammate Kameron Miles, if you all remember him. He said Miles had a lot of good things to say about UT, but it was the coaching staff that changed things for him (no surprise). Mixon is pretty much open right now, which is what I got from the article.

VN Store

Back