Mount Rushmore of UT Football

orangesox

I am your father.
From ESPN.com's Chris Lowe...

John Majors: A legendary single-wing tailback at Tennessee who returned to win three SEC titles as head coach.
Peyton Manning: The modern face of Tennessee football and one of the best pure passers in SEC history.
Gen. Robert Neyland: The father of Tennessee football who served three different stints as coach wrapped around military duty.
Reggie White: The Minister of Defense is one of the greatest defensive ends to ever play the game.
Just missed the cut: Doug Atkins, Doug Dickey, Phillip Fulmer, Bob Suffridge, Al Wilson.

Man. No Doug Atkins. That's tough.

You have to have Neyland and Majors. Atkins really should be in over Manning, but if this is the kind of thing that you're going to carve into the side of Mt. Le Conte and show recruits, I don't see how you can realistically pass up arguably the most famous football player in the country in favor of some guy in a bunch of grainy black and white photographs. White vs. Wilson is an interesting dilemma too: White was by FAR the greater player, but he played on a bunch of crappy teams, while Wilson was the heart of an undefeated national champion. I'll go with greatness + fame and take White.

It makes me want to throw up that Lowe even has Doug Dickey's name up there right next to Doug Atkins.

It makes me want to throw up that Lowe even has Doug Dickey's name up there right next to Doug Atkins.

Why???

Doug Atkins played 3 great years at Tennessee.

Doug Dickey turned a bad BAD T-formation retarded team into a powerhouse in 2 years. He even recruited so well that Bill Battle continued to field a stacked team long after Dickey left.
Plus without Dickey we wouldn't have the T on the helmet. We wouldn't run through the T. And we would have been stuck with Murray Warmath in the 60's.

From ESPN.com's Chris Lowe...

John Majors: A legendary single-wing tailback at Tennessee who returned to win three SEC titles as head coach.
Peyton Manning: The modern face of Tennessee football and one of the best pure passers in SEC history.
Gen. Robert Neyland: The father of Tennessee football who served three different stints as coach wrapped around military duty.
Reggie White: The Minister of Defense is one of the greatest defensive ends to ever play the game.
Just missed the cut: Doug Atkins, Doug Dickey, Phillip Fulmer, Bob Suffridge, Al Wilson.

Majors, Neyland, Atkins, Al Wilson...

whats wrong with phil? 2 sec titles, 1 national championship, 152 wins, one of the highest winning pct. in CFB. i think if low wrote this 10 years from now he'd put phil in there

I'd lose Reggie White and add Atkins.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
We're gonna need a bigger mountain

I agree... TN football is much bigger than Mt. Rushmore... and we would need to do something like on Stone Mountain... alot of faces, not just 4 big ones

But If we had to do it the same... It would have Neyland, Fulmer, Majors, and Manning. White would be just out. Those 4 because the 3 coaches ARE TN football. Then Manning, because he has probably won/ recieved the most recognition of any player in football history.

I agree... TN football is much bigger than Mt. Rushmore... and we would need to do something like on Stone Mountain... alot of faces, not just 4 big ones

But If we had to do it the same... It would have Neyland, Fulmer, Majors, and Manning. White would be just out. Those 4 because the 3 coaches ARE TN football. Then Manning, because he has probably won/ recieved the most recognition of any player in football history.

Um, ever been to Stone Mountain? Only three guys on that ugly slab of rock.
On the other hand, a UT laser show could be fun.

Hey I got an idea...tell Eric Berry we are going to do this and put his face on the mountain if he will stay all 4 years!!!

Neyland, Majors, Dickey, and Fulmer: All four of these men helped shape what Tennessee football is today. Neither Manning, nor Al Wilson, nor Doug Atkins as players did as much to change the face of Tennessee football as the other guys did as coaches and ADs. IMO.

VN Store

Back