Off season thread. What was everyone's favorite play from the 98 championship game?

stevenrich2003

Yes this is a off season thread. I watched the Championship game vs Fl. St. last night. My favorite play was the bomb down the right side to Peerless. 79 yds for the TD.

Also the Defensive MVP award has gotta go to Al Wilson.

Reactions: 4 people
That's easy, the last one.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3PvKr5czo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, his nickname was the "Rooster".

Even with a 3rd string QB starting UT was the underdog in that game.

FSU fans can "crow" all they want about the Rooster costing them the game -- we had lost Jamal Lewis. You play with who you got.

Edit: And yeah, I know, Cheese was a more than capable backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
FSU was overrated

3 and Outzen...

To answer the OP's question, fave play was the Pick 6. Most memorable moment (non football) was staying at the Motel 6 in Elk City, OK on the way out there. Nothing says broke student like staying at the Motel 6 where you pop quarters in for a vibrating bed....

Reactions: 1 person
3 and Outzen...

To answer the OP's question, fave play was the Pick 6. Most memorable moment (non football) was staying at the Motel 6 in Elk City, OK on the way out there. Nothing says broke student like staying at the Motel 6 where you pop quarters in for a vibrating bed....

Vibrating bed..... I wish those were still around.

There is only one correct answer to this question. David Leaverton laying Peter Warrick out on that one punt return.

Reactions: 10 people
Best play was the pick 6 with Al Wilson pointing and laughing at Warrick while he laid on the ground.

Reactions: 2 people
One play/ decision that often goes unmentioned was Fulmer's decision to take the FG off the board and accept the penalty on FSU in the 1st quarter. Taking points off the board is always risky but UT was able to score a TD a couple of plays later.

YES! Fl. St. Was using a third string QB right?

Bowden also had many opportunities to play him and get him some reps at game speed throughout the course of the season while they were blowing people out, he chose not too.

He was really the second string QB, their first string QB got hurt before the season started thus moving him up the depth chart.

I guess Bowden was big on leadership reps.

Favorite play of the championship game for me was when Eric Westmoreland absolutely laid FSU's QB OUT at the sideline! I think it was shortly after the 2nd half started. Today that would be a penalty and Eric would've been thrown out of the game.

Lot of misinformation in this thread about the championship game vs FSU.

Marcus Outzen was the 2nd string QB behind Chris Weinke, not 3rd string. And he wasn't bad; just inexperienced. When Weinke was injured in the 2nd Qtr against Virginia (FSU's 8th or 9th game of the season), Outzen came into the game and did well, scoring 24 points in the 2nd half after Weinke got 21 in the first half. In one of the following two games, he was hot enough to hit 9 of 10 passes to finish up a game. He was a pretty good QB; just young.

And remember, this wasn't the eventual (2 years later) Weinke who won the Heisman; this was the Weinke who earlier in the 1998 season set an FSU record for interceptions in a single game: six. Six. In one game.

So it wasn't Heisman starter to 3rd string scrub, as some are painting it. It wasn't awesome to weak. More like good to pretty good. Outzen was seen as a capable backup to Weinke, and played fairly well in the last three games of the season. The BIG offensive weapons on the team were RB Travis Minor and WR Peter Warrick. Not the QBs; they were game managers.

Next. The reason--THE reason--Outzen played so poorly in the national championship game against the Vols was because Phillip Fulmer (rightly) anticipated his limited experience might allow him to fall apart if the Vols defense put enough pressure on him. So our lads pinned their ears back and went after Outzen all night long. We kept just enough back to control Travis Minor, and to keep a lid on outstanding wide receiver Peter Warrick, but everything else we had was launched like an unending barrage into Outzen's face.

That's why Outzen looked bad that night. Not because he was incompetent, but because he was not yet seasoned, and Fulmer/Chavis went after him all night long. They literally broke him; don't think anyone ever heard from him since, heh.

...break/break...

My favorite play of the season? The stumble & fumble. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back