Venzell Boulware will not play in the bowl game

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
...due to academics. Per Butch.

Update: Here are my FreakNotes from Butch's media session today.

--It's been a really productive couple of weeks. We've gotten numerous reps for guys who didn't get reps throughout the year. It's important to let them go home for a few days and be around their families. Our game plan is in place so if we had to play the game tomorrow we'd be able to do that.

--Venzell Boulware will not be available for the bowl game due to academics. Venzell is a great young man. He'll be better for it. He can still practice and he's had one of the best bowl practices, but due to academics, he will not be available. This should not affect him in spring practice. Boulware was the only academic casualty.

--On conversations about transfers: It's that time of the year and that's becoming the norm for college football but I've not had any of those conversations with any of our players and my door is always open. There are always individuals sometimes looking around because they want time to play more, but I've not had any of those conversations to date with any of our players.

--Derek Barnett has had one of the best bowl preparations he's had. Cam Sutton has not been 100% but he's out here every day grinding through it. The team is very, very important to him. Alvin Kamara -- you look at all these individuals, they've had good bowl preparations and I'm very proud of them.

--This is still about team 120 but it's also a great opportunity for individuals like Marcus Tatum who didn't get a lot of reps throughout the course of the season -- Brandon Johnson at wide receiver. Some true freshmen like Tyler Byrd and Jeff George, who have played, it's an opportunity to go back to fundamentals and fine details of what it takes to play winning football.

--We did some live tackling and things we've never done in bowl preparation before but I felt our entire football team needed it.

--We're playing a very good football team [Nebraska] that has been a top-10 team most of the year. They're very physical and they don't beat themselves. They don't turn the football over. We have to play a game comprised of discipline and fundamentals and details. We've gone back to ground one teaching, and our players are responding.

--Nothing has changed with Dave Hart. He was at practice today. He's in my office just like normal, so there's been no change.

--Alexis Johnson and Daniel Bituli, and we talked about Marcus Tatum, are getting an inordinate amount of reps. With Bituli, the more he plays the more he's gonna become more comfortable with the scheme. With Alexis, he's getting into game condition. I've been very pleased with those individuals.

--There was an individual here waiting to speak with Derek Barnett the other day and he didn't want to speak with him because he didn't want to miss his workout. He's very driven. Derek approaches this bowl preparation as another opportunity to get better, another opportunity to perfect his craft, and another opportunity to get stronger in the weight room. Those elements speak volumes for what Derek Barnett stands for.

--Jack Jones has had a very good two weeks of preparation. And getting Dylan Wiesman back has helped us.

Reactions: 17 people
Hope he gets it straightened out. Will need him in the future, he's one of our best linemen imo

Reactions: 3 people
I can't think of a more inexcusable reason to miss a game. The university essentially gives these guys whatever grade they need. All you've got to do is go to class and go to the Thornton Center.

Reactions: 15 people
I can't think of a more inexcusable reason to miss a game. The university essentially gives these guys whatever grade they need. All you've got to do is go to class and go to the Thornton Center.

My sources tell me Dobbs does the OL's school work when they block well.

Reactions: 6 people
It has to be so hard to balance academics with sports. Especially at this level. Hope he can get back on track.

In some ways, it's easier for them because they have a lot more structure and resources in place to ensure they DON'T fail. If you are a football player at UT and you fail, it's because you were trying to!

Reactions: 1 person
Being disciplined with your time isn't always easy for young adults. Or some old adults for that matter.

Reactions: 13 people

I disagree that the school "essentially gives these guys whatever grade they need". When I was at UT (1987-1991), I was a math and science tutor for the athletic department. The athletes I met with worked hard and had to complete their own work. They took their own tests and earned their grades. Did they benefit from having someone there to work with them and conduct additional teaching? Absolutely, but that did not diminish their efforts in the classroom.

I compare the activities to those that I use with my own children. I am there to provide direction and support, but my children perform their own work. Their grades reflect their efforts.

Reactions: 10 people

Sometimes it's not that cut and dry. Jon Higgins was ineligible for last half of his senior season. He took on more than he could handle. Sometimes for these guys take the bare minimum and drag out graduation an extra year or two if necessary rather than forcing heavier schedule than capable of. I don't know Boulwares situation but just reminding that not all situations and mental capabilities of each athlete are the same.

And this is the reason college football players get communication degrees.. I guess he missed that part

Some of the good stuff CBJ said about how the team is preparing for the game were more noteworthy than Boulware's siuation, imo.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back