Would you be okay with Barnett skipping the bowl game?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I understand it. I don't like it.

How much do these bowl games really mean?

Reactions: 2 people
Barnett is healthy, therefore he would do his teammates a disservice by not playing.

Reactions: 22 people
I wouldn't hold it against Barnett. I have a bigger issue with there being over 40 bowl games and the whole concept has become extremely watered down. It was much more interesting when there were less than twenty and all of the games were somewhat meaningful.

Reactions: 3 people
From Stanford WR Trenton Irwin: "The whole team supports @CMccaffrey5 in everything and anything. Hes been a leader to this team through the easy times and tough times."

I get it. But it's a bad sign for NCAAF imo. The playoffs are great, but they've pretty much made every other bowl game worthless.

Reactions: 6 people
I wouldn't hold it against Barnett. I have a bigger issue with there being over 40 bowl games and the whole concept has become extremely watered down. It was much more interesting when there were less than twenty and all of the games were somewhat meaningful.
How many bowl games are/were meaningful though, really?

I'm in the camp that I'm all for more football, especially this time of year when I realize the end is near. Lol.

Reactions: 22 people
Most of these locks for the draft have insurance on their bodies anyway, they should play in the bowls. Can't live your life afraid of what might happen, you could just as easily get hurt preparing for the combine.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm okay with it, I hate to see his last game a loss to VU, I'd be okay with one of these
giphy.gif
texans-heavycom-clowney-7UJkQYklFdblS
moments for the big guy too in a meaningless bowl game, and getting the sack record

I'm selfish I want to see him play with the power T on the side of his helmet one last(?) time

I like Herbsreit's stance. "I'd want to play another game w/ my boys. Are you kidding me? Ask any player from my generation-Should skip whole year if that's the concern"

Reactions: 23 people
slippery slope that we're seeing with senior defections before year end and not playing bowls. Never know, but if becomes a trend, THIS could end up being the end of bowl games as we know it, and push towards expanding the playoffs. If players going in the draft start to opt out, for arguably valid reasons, w/ millions of dollars at stake, then lower bowl games will fizzle out, or not be nearly as coveted. I wouldn't like it, but couldn't really argue about Barnett skipping MC Bowl. Sugar or NY6/playoff game, would be different opinion.

It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I would be sad, but certainly understand.

I would be fine if he sat out. I think this should be entirely between a player and his team. As long as his team supports/respects players decision, it should be good.
It is a meaningless bowl. Barnett getting drafted first round could benefit UT a lot in short and long term. Players like Peyton, Eric Berry and Jason Witten are our biggest ambassadors when they say 'University of Tennessee' on Sundays. I wouldn't risk Barnett hurt in a bowl game if he did not want to play. Having said that, more respect to him if he does play. If he wants one last game with his team, good for him and good for us Vol fans.

They should let redshirt players play in Bowl games outside the playoffs. At least those players could get some meaningful game time and teams could prepare for next season.

I would be bothered. It goes against everything Barnett has stood for since he's been at Tennessee. He has always been and continues to be team first. I enjoy seeing a young man talk the talk and walk the walk.

That said, I can't say I don't fear for his health. I get what these other players are doing. But I think it shows fear.

And Barnett ain't scared.

Reactions: 4 people
It's up to the individual, IMO. We have no input and will never know personally each person's reasons. Lower tier bowl games don't mean anything when your health and well being are on the line if you're turning pro. We'd all like to see our heroes compete one more time, but we're sitting home on the couch watching is perfectly safe atmosphere. There have been more than a few who had season and career ending injuries in the post season.

Would miss seeing him play and possibly break the sack record however it would not bother me at all. Coaches bolt before bowl games and have done so for years now. To hold players to a different standard is hypocritical.

Coaches in major D1 football get millions regardless of the outcome of the season; they get failure money if they dont cut the mustard or they get fat raises if they succeed (or receive even bigger contracts from the next school if they are better than average).

College players don't get paid until they sign a contract in the pros and a good bit of that money is not guaranteed.

I think the more pointed questions is whether a high draft pick decides not to play in a play-off game....

Reactions: 1 person
I'm torn. Sure an injury risk but a chance to record more stats against name opponent. My thing is if you opt to not play in the bowl game. You should not receive the bowl gifts nor a ring if the team gets a ring for said bowl game. The odd part is what if you have a talented roster and 3-5 guys want to sit out bowl game. Where does it end?

Good question. Seems like the new trend this year is to rest and stay healthy for the NFL Combine.

VN Store

Back