Will there be any new Assistants?

Vol_guy

I expect to see Don Mahoney and Willie Martinez fired. Our secondary and offensive line have been this team's biggest weakness for more than just this season. Let debord coach the o-line and hire a qb coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Only new assistants we are getting are people desperate enough for a job to accept a 1-year temp position rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It's over.

Reactions: 14 people
Only new assistants we are getting are people desperate enough for a job to accept a 1-year temp position rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It's over.
Pretty much..No one worth their salt will come here.. Hyams basically agreed with Mark Howard on Jones being on the hot seat for next year. No one is going to stick their neck out for that..No one worth a crap anyway...

Reactions: 1 person
I expect to see Don Mahoney and Willie Martinez fired. Our secondary and offensive line have been this team's biggest weakness for more than just this season. Let debord coach the o-line and hire a qb coach.

Debord needs to go as well, our play calling is too predictable.

Shoops should've been able to bring his own assistants with him, I can't say that's 100% the fault behind our defensive issues but I believe had he brought his guys in we would've been a little better off.

Azzani I think needs to go, we have an insane amount of receiver talent but see very little production out of that group as a whole.

If Botch Jones doesn't find another gig, he needs to clean house. Only problem is, what legitimate asst. going to come here knowing his ass is scorching red come next season.

Reactions: 2 people
Of the 9 assistants somebody has to go. I'd say Martinez and Mahoney for sure. Azzanni could go, and I think Shoop wants to make some changes and get some folks in he trusts. DeBord has to get legs under him again from being out a few years. The rest will only leave for better pay or positions.

Didn't Shoop want to bring in his own LB and CB coaches from PSU?

Butch has benefited so much by the fact that he came in after Dooley. Dooley couldn't make a bowl game, well Butch is an 8 win coach. We celebrated getting to a bowl and then getting to 8 wins.

Now we're all upset that an 8 win coach won 8 games. Like many said when he was hired we brought in a stop gap guy and now we need the guy that's going to get us back to being the 2nd most successful SEC program. Doubt a few assistants will be the answer.

Reactions: 5 people
Defense:
(1) Martinez- bring back Terry Fair
(2) Stripling- get Sean Spencer at PSU

Offense:
(1) Mahoney- bring back Sam Pittman or Debord takes over OL
(2) hire a QB coach

CBJ needs to get out of the way and llet his coaches coach.

Reactions: 7 people
Defense:

Offense:
(2) hire a QB coach

i don't understand why people expect Jones to get out of the way he wants things done his way for 4 years now.

Defense:

Offense:
(2) hire a QB coach

Pittman? Really?

Defense:

Offense:
(2) hire a QB coach

I am not sold on Shoop at all. I think his success was primarily due to those around him. They haven't lost a beat with him not there.

Defense:

Offense:
(2) hire a QB coach

Why would you want to get rid of Stripling?

Debord needs to go as well, our play calling is too predictable.

Shoops should've been able to bring his own assistants with him, I can't say that's 100% the fault behind our defensive issues but I believe had he brought his guys in we would've been a little better off.

Azzani I think needs to go, we have an insane amount of receiver talent but see very little production out of that group as a whole.

If Botch Jones doesn't find another gig, he needs to clean house. Only problem is, what legitimate asst. going to come here knowing his ass is scorching red come next season.

The offense is all Butch. He's not going to give that over to someone else.

I have heard to expect about (4) coaching changes on both sides of the ball. Martinez and Thing on defense. Z and Mahoney on offense.

Also, it seems that Shoop has been pissed that he was not able to bring his guys, so we will see if those will be new additions.

I wouldn't fire coach Z yet. Malone/Jennings have both been playing like studs. Jennings had never played WR like that so Coach Z molded him pretty well I'd say.

If we did fire him I'd let Scott coach WR/TE'S and then grab a QB coach. Firing Mahoney is a no Brainer at this point.

I have heard to expect about (4) coaching changes on both sides of the ball. Martinez and Thing on defense. Z and Mahoney on offense.

Also, it seems that Shoop has been pissed that he was not able to bring his guys, so we will see if those will be new additions.

It's Cutcliffe Pt 2. "You're hired! Buuut, you have to use the staff currently in place."

Lack of player development over 4 years. I acknowledge that injuries have been a factor, but our DL was underwhelming even when healthy given the talent.

Stripling has been the most consistent on defense though. Look what he has done with Vereen, Shy is a stud, McKenzie was finally getting it. Jordan Williams became a NFL player. OB was playing his heart out before he was dumb and got kicked off team. Kongbo(A lineman with a pick 6. Something that hasn't happened here in a while.) is starting to adjust, Kyle Phillips as well. You are starting to hear about players that you should be hearing about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
435 points in 12 games in 2016 is our best offensive output in 20 years( Manning's junior year 1996- 437 points in 12 games). For those of you wanting DeBord gone, what more could he have done?

Reactions: 7 people
435 points in 12 games in 2016 is our best offensive output in 20 years( Manning's junior year 1996- 437 points in 12 games). For those of you wanting DeBord gone, what more could he have done?

I don't think anybody disagrees with you that we had a high scoring offense that could put up a lot of yards, I believe it's more of the in-game situational play calling that bothers people. We run when we should pass, and pass when we should run. We continuously run the same plays that are not working. In my opinion it seems that we rely too much on a choreographed game plan and the "chart" and when that game plan is shut down by opponents we are out coached by opposing coaching staffs.

Just look at the USC and Vandy games, they made adjustments and shut us down and our coaches failed to adjust and put us in a position to win. Dobbs was having one of his worst games at USC, while you don't completely take him out of the game plan, give it to somebody who was hot (Kelly) and let them take the game over. Then let Dobbs slowly warm up and let him become a bigger part of the offense. But instead we continued to pass and Dobbs threw an untimely interception. At Vandy we were killing them through the air and having success with the read, but we went away from it in the 2nd half. Then on 4th down, while I agree to get the ball to AK, why throw it 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage after a TO? I just think the in-game play calling and game management is atrocious at times, without our athletes we currently have on the roster to make big plays out of nothing I do not see what this coaching staff does to put our players and Tennessee in a position to succeed. I also think we have under utilized the talent on our roster all season.

With all that being said, I do not think anything happens to DeBord unless he leaves on his own. I also think he is the least of our worries. Looking at you defense...

Has anyone heard anything about any assistant coaching changes that may be made for next year? I know Debord and Shoop are coming back. But how about Martinez, Mahoney and Thig?

I realize that its Butch Jones we are talking about but maybe he feels the pressure and makes some changes. I sure hope so. Hopefully 2017 is a better season than 2016. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back