Which type of fan are you?

volinga33

This is a chance to identify which type of fan you are or call out others! Saw this on RTI and thought it would be fun here.

1: The fire everybody guy: You’ve probably met this person before. They’re all-in on UT and the coach in the offseason, but you know you’re getting a text from them the second something goes wrong in 2016 to “fire Butch.” :bad:

2. The recruiting freak: You’ve probably met the person that can recite the visitor list for the 2019 class for the upcoming game. Yes, recruiting is the lifeblood of college athletics and it’s spawned an entire industry that follows it. But some fans take it to an extreme level – following the every move of every recruit in the next four classes. :crossfingers:

3. The traditionalist: This person has the Pantone Matching Sample chart with the UT orange with them at all times to make sure everybody has it right. The gray jerseys – and really anything other than the traditional ones – are an absolute abomination to this person. :rtfm:

They hate rap at Neyland Stadium, they want the Tennessee Walking Horses back at every game and don’t even get them started on Third Down For What? and some of the chants that Butch Jones has tried to introduce. UT should bring Majors, Fulmer or somebody in the Neyland family tree back to coach anyhow.

4. The exceedingly drunk vol: Remember UT’s win over Florida in 1998 when the kick went wide? How about Wilhoit’s redemptive kick in 2004? The big win over Georgia in 2015? The exceedingly drunk Vol fan certainly doesn’t. They may have seen replays or heard about them later, but you better believe they weren’t even in the stadium for them. They had tickets – good ones in fact. But 10 hours of pre-gaming left them passed out in the parking lot. :acute:

5. The Conspiracy theory vol: Much of UT’s lack of success over the past decade can be traced back to a carefully-executed plan done in conjunction between the media, the SEC, the NCAA, refs and even UT administrators. Dave Hart was sent in by Alabama to wreck UT’s athletic program. Jimmy Check? A well-placed spy from Florida who gives away all of UT’s secrets to the Gators. The SEC employs corrupt refs that make sure Alabama and Florida beats UT every season. :question:

6. The casual vol: fans like to rock the Power T hat or the black polo with the small orange Power T, but they’re not going over the top. They know the quarterback is “some kind of rocket scientist or surgeon or something” and maybe a few other facts they picked up from Verne Lundquist during one of the few games they watched. :sleep:

7. The nega-vol: You know them, you may be one of them and they may eventually run the extremely positive Butch Jones out of town. They’re the Nega-Vols. Sure, Jones has done a good job of rebuilding the program, but THAT’S NOT ENOUGH. Nick Saban had Alabama in title contention in Year 2, and it’s inexcusable that Jones didn’t. Anything other than 15-0 this season will be unacceptable. Every year should be 1998, except better. The Vols, after all, underperformed that year and got lucky. :no:

8. The overly obsessed with one opponent vol: generally Florida or Alabama, but depending on where you live, your relationships and your past, the overly-obsessed-with-one-opponent Vol fan is just as interested in seeing another program fail as he/she is seeing UT succeed. A heartbreaking loss for the Vols is soothed by seeing this team lose as well. :gun:

9: The periphery vol: You would almost never know that this person is actually a fan of sports. You don’t hear much from them after a game, but you know that they’ll be tweeting up a storm the second there’s a jersey announcement, a problem with the field, an announcer they don’t like or something wrong with the cleats. Basically, the periphery of the game is more important than the sports themselves. :ninja:

10. The overly optimistic vol: Regardless how heartbreaking the week or the year before was, these fans are always back for another round. And they think it can be much, much better this time. Expectations are always through the roof, but unlike the Nega-Vols or the “Fire Everybody” Vols, this group is more likely to take the positive route of “we’ll get them next year” when things don’t go the right way.
Negativity – or even objectivity – is not allowed near these folks! :dance2::rock::clapping::popcorn:

Ready, go!

Reactions: 6 people
How about just a good old-fashioned vol for life, who cheers for the vols no matter what. Could be any combination of 1-10 depending on the particular subject but there is never any question about where his loyalty lies.

That would be me. :rock:

Reactions: 12 people
How bout the neurotic superstitious fan that actually believes he's bad luck. He thinks if he quits watching the game the Vols will start playing better and pull out the win. Doesn't wear a shirt anymore due to a loss we had whilst wearing said shirt.

Reactions: 6 people
I guess 10. I stay very realistic all off season though. Right up until game day and then it becomes "we gon whip dey azz!"

Reactions: 3 people
How about just a good old-fashioned vol for life, who cheers for the vols no matter what. Could be any combination of 1-10 depending on the particular subject but there is never any question about where his loyalty lies.

This

Reactions: 1 person

I'm with you.

I've been called at least 8 of the 10.
Seems to depend on how much I've had to drink.

I start each game as a 10 but end up a 4 by half time. Don't matter how the game goes.

10 but you can be objective, just no bashing. Players and coaches make mistakes, as long as they give their all then I'm fine. If they are dogging it, then they need to be called out in a way that will get them to give the effort expected rather than breaking their spirit. If they don't respond and start giving their all, run them off. There is a standard that is not up for debate.

10 but you can be objective, just no bashing. Players and coaches make mistakes, as long as they give their all then I'm fine. If they are dogging it, then they need to be called out in a way that will get them to give the effort expected rather than breaking their spirit. If they don't respond and start giving their all, run them off. There is a standard that is not up for debate.

If you're a 10, you can't be objective or you fall into category 7. You're right, but the other 10's don't see it your way.

Like most people, the great many can't be defined by one. That was a broad brush there, I don't know any Vol fans off the top of my head I could lump into just 1 category. I think most Vol fans message board not withstanding are basically loyal and passionate. They might get mad about a game or a bad call or bad coaching move but they always still pull for the BIG ORANGE!!!! We have a great fan base. GO VOLS!!!!

VN Store

Back