Why are "nega-vols" mad about the season?

Dobbs 4 Heisman

So this is something I don't get. If you didn't have high expectations to begin with, why are you railing against the program right now?

I thought we'd go 10-2 this year. And lots of people laughed at that before the season. I got the right to be mad given my expectations. But most had us 8-4. Many 7-5 or worse. If those were the expectations then we're on track or slightly below.

From what I've seen its the same folks that were railing against pre-season predictions of winning the East and beating Florida are the same people now railing against this team for losing leads against good teams.

You negative people need to stop destroying the program from within. There are legitimate criticisms. What I've seen the last 2 weeks have not been legitimate.

Reactions: 21 people
I have been labeled a negavol for years. In the past whenever I would predict 5 or 6 wins and talk about the problems of the team, I was blasted for being negative. This season I predicted 9-3, yet I have still been called negavol. The reason given was that my prediction was too ambitious setting up the inevitable failure of the team to reach my expectations.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.

Reactions: 10 people
So this is something I don't get. If you didn't have high expectations to begin with, why are you railing against the program right now?

I thought we'd go 10-2 this year. And lots of people laughed at that before the season. I got the right to be mad given my expectations. But most had us 8-4. Many 7-5 or worse. If those were the expectations then we're on track or slightly below.

Is it ok if I interrupt this thread to laugh now?
:post-4-1090547912:

Oh me.

:post-4-1090547912:

Whew. Ok, please continue.

Reactions: 1 person
I have been labeled a negavol for years. In the past whenever I would predict 5 or 6 wins and talk about the problems of the team, I was blasted for being negative. This season I predicted 9-3, yet I have still been called negavol. The reason given was that my prediction was too ambitious setting up the inevitable failure of the team to reach my expectations.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.

Doyle! Tomorrow night it begins!

I don't consider myself a negavol. I'm a realist. When I see something different (like maybe a win or 2 against a real team) then I will stop the criticism

Reactions: 2 people
Short and obvious answer.

1. People are tired of losing.

2. I will quote myself as I posted the following in my prediction for the Florida-Tennessee game. I think the fact that Tennessee still finds ways to lose instead of win will also help to keep the game fairly close. Tennessee being stuck on stupid is where I pin most of my hopes and sadly, for you all, that’s not out of the realm of possibility.

There's a third reason, but I don't want to go there.

Reactions: 6 people
This has been said before but I think for most negavols its less about losing and more about the way we have lost and the obvious coaching errors. Here is a fact. There have been 17 two TD leads blown in all of college football this year. That's approximately 500 games, and Tennessee owns 3 of them! Those kinds of loses rip a fan base up and can do the same to a locker room. It's going to be 2-5 here in a couple of weeks with a very good Kentucky team and a revitalized Missouri now that they've found a QB coming up. It will be a small miracle to get back to 6-6 and a bowl game.

Reactions: 3 people
Man, dey alwayz mad.
Just kidding but some truth there.
They do seem mad even before seasons start. So idk.
When Jones screws up in coaching, that gives me great doubt.
I've never felt inclined to call him names... or accuse him of trying to screw us over etc.
If he fails completely, I don't think he tried to. No one wants to look like a failure. Maybe the hiring process was to blame or whatever. But yeah, you have to have a certain amount of hate naturally to always be that vindictive.
It started out as a joke but the more I think about it, they always mad. :pardon:

2. I will quote myself as I posted the following in my prediction for the Florida-Tennessee game. I think the fact that Tennessee still finds ways to lose instead of win will also help to keep the game fairly close. Tennessee being stuck on stupid is where I pin most of my hopes and sadly, for you all, that’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Go there, please. lol

Reactions: 4 people

Yes, you did post #2 and as much as it pained me at the time to agree with a Gator, I did. It still makes my skin crawl. As a matter of fact I'm a little nauseous thinking about it right now.

I think the problem is we led all of the losses. Made it seem like we could win. Then we lost every lead. Made it seem like Butch can't coach. The excuses just made it worse.

Probably because the team isn't even on pace for the relatively modest 8-4 record a good number of people predicted.

From what I've seen its the same folks that were railing against pre-season predictions of winning the East and beating Florida are the same people now railing against this team for losing leads against good teams.

You negative people need to stop destroying the program from within. There are legitimate criticisms. What I've seen the last 2 weeks have not been legitimate.

I guess the definition of "negavol" depends on who you ask. The reason people are upset is because we are 2-3 with 4-1 to 5-0 talent. It's pretty simple really.

Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.

Well said. I've been called a negavol since I've been here and I said UT had the talent to go 10-2 this season but said the "should" go 9-3.

Now I guess we're negavols for setting too high expectations. But the proof is there that we're right.

Reactions: 2 people
I guess the definition of "negavol" depends on who you ask. The reason people are upset is because we are 2-3 with 4-1 to 5-0 talent. It's pretty simple really.

But most didn't think we had 5-0 talent. Shouldn't that fact alone give folks optimism.

It's alot easier to fix bad coaching than bad players.

you all need to take off the orange colored glasses and give the kool aid a rest.

It's not that we lost to Oklahoma. Or that we lost to Florida. Or that we lost to Arkansas.

It's how we lost those games. If you can look how we blew those games and come away satisfied, you're the one that could survive being a Vandy fan or whatever.

8-4 was a fairly low bar for this talent against the softest schedule in years at UT. And they won't even clear that.

I had us as 8-4 preseason. Did not really expect us to do any better but felt 7-5 would be very disappointing. My concern is that, after each game, I always feel like we were out-coached overall. Combining this with the fact that obviously talented players do not seem to be developing very well (there will always be some players that will not live up to their hype/athleticism but having so many of them is concerning), I feel that Jones is likely not the coach that can ultimately bring us back to prominence. Throw in the fact that Jones was given an unjustified buyout extension, that he hired a very questionable OC, and that he refuses to acknowledge any mistakes, it is hard not to be mad at the state of program going forward.

I'm not mad but i'm extremely concerned. There are 6 teams that have had 13 pt or higher leads this year in every game and 5 of those teams are undefeated, the other is 2-3. The reality is that while the team is improving, this staff is not championship caliber and never will be. The writing on the wall can be read or UT can wait until the momentum we have as a program is completely gone and the new staff will have to start from scratch.

I'm far from a NV. I try and see the bright side to every bad situation. I'm frustrated though. We truly should be 5-0 and sitting about #8 in the polls. Worst case 4-1 because AR played better than we did. I'm not a fire Butch guy. There is plenty of blame to go around. I'm not shocked that we are 2-3, but it's hard to get over the way we got to 2-3. But, every Saturday from now until seasons end, we have a chance to redeem ourselves and I'm ready for the GA game. Go Vols.

VN Store

Back