discussion of how the OL progresses through camp

KnoxLandcruiser

I'd like to start a thread that focuses on the progression of the OL. I've been specifically looking for any indication that Blair will contribute this season. Per copy and paste from Fingers' Practice #1 update the rotation was:

-Richmond 2nd team RT, Jack Jones 2nd team RG, Chance hall T, Boulware RT, Thomas C, Mosley G.
-First team OL Kyler Kerbyson at LT, Marcus Jackson at LG, Mack Crowder at C, Jashon Robertson at RG and Brett Kendrick at RT.

As the offensive line rotation evolves or if knew information comes to light concerning the OL...please post it here. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see a much improved football team this season and I believe it starts with this group.

ETA: this is from the Rucker rapid review from Tuesday

O-LINE POSITION STUFF: Here’s what we could see from a positional standpoint up front: Freshman Drew Richmond worked at right tackle (second-team), freshman Jack Jones worked at right guard (second-team), freshman Chance Hall worked at tackle, freshman Venzell Boulware worked at right tackle, sophomore Coleman Thomas worked at center and guard, and redshirt freshman Charles Mosley worked at guard. The first-team offensive line was no surprise: senior Kyler Kerbyson at left tackle, senior Marcus Jackson at left guard, senior Mack Crowder at center, sophomore Jashon Robertson at right guard and sophomore Brett Kendrick at right tackle.

source Rapid Review: Tennessee Vols football Tuesday practice

Last edited:
I'd like to start a thread that focuses on the progression of the OL. I've been specifically looking for any indication that Blair will contribute this season. Per copy and paste from Fingers' Practice #1 update the rotation was:

-Richmond 2nd team RT, Jack Jones 2nd team RG, Chance hall T, Boulware RT, Thomas C, Mosley G.
-First team OL Kyler Kerbyson at LT, Marcus Jackson at LG, Mack Crowder at C, Jashon Robertson at RG and Brett Kendrick at RT.

As the offensive line rotation evolves or if knew information comes to light concerning the OL...please post it here. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see a much improved football team this season and I believe it starts with this group.
If Blair can't get on the two deep in the next few weeks, we'll just have to consider him a bust and move on, really was hoping the young man would get it done for us this year. If our frosh are playing ahead of him, no way he gets on the field before he graduates. Surprised CBJ would let a JUCO bust hang around though.

Reactions: 5 people
If Blair can't get on the two deep in the next few weeks, we'll just have to consider him a bust and move on, really was hoping the young man would get it done for us this year. If our frosh are playing ahead of him, no way he gets on the field before he graduates. Surprised CBJ would let a JUCO bust hang around though.

I guess it's looking that way at this point....crazy. Man I had high hopes for him!

Wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a shake-up in this group early on. We brought in plenty of talent and it wouldn't be surprising at all if one of them made a serious push for a starting role like Robertson did last year.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, last year at tackle UT started a freshman who's natural position is center and a walk-on with a torn ACL while Blair was redshirted. All while giving up more sacks then almost every other team in CFB. You never know what can happen but I wouldn't get your hopes up about him contributing.

If he was good enough to play and they redshirted him anyway then these coaches play the waiting game better than anyone I know. This fall camp is likely his last chance to make an impact. If he doesn't get into the two-deep this fall I doubt he'll finish his eligibility at UT.

Reactions: 1 person

There's a difference between disappointing and not even scholarship worthy. We're getting spoiled with every class Butch brings in but having Blair on your ROSTER isn't a waste IMO. Enough injuries and it would be good having this guy as an option as opposed to some of those names Dooley pulled out.

My Dad asked for my prediction for the OU game. I honestly can't give any predictions, game or season due to this issue. I got caught up in all the talent at the other positions but you guys are right. If there is little improvement on the O Line, all the hype is for nothing. You can get away with having a decent WR group or an okay running game but if you only have a couple of guys on the line that are worth anything, the season is hopeless.

I agree. I thought he would make a push this season. It's starting to look like he may never see the field.

Wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a shake-up in this group early on. We brought in plenty of talent and it wouldn't be surprising at all if one of them made a serious push for a starting role like Robertson did last year.

Last year was out of necessity. I don't think any of the freshmen will start unless they're just so good that their is no way to keep them off the field.

I'm a little surprised at some of the freshmen, especially Jones at RG and Boulware at T. I kinda thought Jones would be the future at RT and Bolware would play guard.

I'm a little surprised at some of the freshmen, especially Jones at RG and Boulware at T. I kinda thought Jones would be the future at RT and Bolware would play guard.

Agree. A lot of players you can look at and just see an O-linemen. Jones looks like an OT, without question. Maybe the coaches just want to see every player at every position before he finds his permanent spot.

RT is the most up-in-the-air position this fall. It will be interesting to see if Kendrick can really hold it down or if a freshman wins the job.

Chance Hall is really athletic and has the strength to play tackle. Jack Jones is atheltic, but needs strength.

It's only the 2 day of fall practice, the Oline personel may change several times before the end of camp, there's time to get the absolute best players in the rotation, so don't panic just yet

Last year was out of necessity. I don't think any of the freshmen will start unless they're just so good that their is no way to keep them off the field.

This year there is plenty of necessity because a lot of the guys that started last year weren't any good. If they can't improve much at the start of this year there would be no surprise if a freshman jumps in.

Pre-Camp Depth Chart Projections | Rocky Top Insider

Jackson has a starting job. Robertson has a starting job. The rest is up for grabs. Not sure you can tell much with them just doing drill work. One thing for sure we will have depth and there will not much of a drop off.

I see Austin Sanders as a #2 and see Richmond as a #2 to begin the season. The move from T to G for Jones surprised me. I believe guys Mosley, Blair and Boulware will all see playing time.

I think the O line will be better if only because Dobbs will move around in the pocket more. Reasoning alone also says that the experience from last year will help.

With my old timer's turn signal blinking away, I'm still signalling that most everyone's leaving out the DeBo factor as a prominent difference maker, and that's as big as any other factor with the O-line's improvement. His notable experience at aligning the right players in the right spot, along with keeping the schemes up to the same level as their capabilities/experience allows, is going to make folks leave last year's awful O-line out of this year's formula. I'll assure you all; there are going to be broadcasters' comments in the upcoming games as to the overall improvement of UT's offense...due in a huge part to Mike DeBord's excellence as an offensive guru. Wanna' bet against this assumption?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

APR. have to protect the APR.. JMO

I think DeBord already knows what he has at all other positions and is fine with them.

You can bet that DeBord and the O line coach are spending lots of time watching practice film, discussing every O lineman and will do some experimenting to figure out the best position for everyone on the O line.

Also we should never forget that we like O linemen that can play more than just 1 position so as the kids get comfortable with 1 position they'll cross train them to get more comfortable with another position to have guys ready in case of a serious injury.

I don't expect great O line play this year but I do expect that that we'll be much better than last year and with Dobbs and our D line rotation this season that will make a difference that we'll all enjoy watching.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

With my old timer's turn signal blinking away, I'm still signalling that most everyone's leaving out the DeBo factor as as big a difference maker, and that's as big as any other factor with the O-line's improvement. His notable experience at aligning the right players in the right spot, along with keeping the schemes up to the same level as their capabilities/experience allows, is going to make folks leave last year's awful O-line out of this year's formula. I'll assure you all; there are going to be broadcasters' comments in the upcoming games as to the overall improvement of UT's offense...due in a huge part to Mike DeBord's excellence as an offensive guru. Wanna' bet against this assumption?

I don't want to bet against that. I want you to be right but the way they played last year makes it hard to believe. Especially seeing that its almost the same group of guys out there. I really really really really hope you are right.

Maybe we're seeing Jones & Boulware getting reps at G and T respectively to increase their versatility for emergency purposes.

Might as well get them accustomed to playing in different places along the line early on than later, since they're in arguably the most impressionable stage of their time here.

It's only the 2 day of fall practice, the Oline personel may change several times before the end of camp, there's time to get the absolute best players in the rotation, so don't panic just yet

Good point. I'm just glad that the Vols have plenty of options this season, and that's a direct result to the excellent recruiting by Butch and company in the last two classes. This staff recruits to their needs better than any staff at UT since the early Fulmer days over 20 years ago.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back