Knox radio guys questioning Butchs personailty

Volngeorgia

Didn't catch their names.
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They talked about all of the players that have left in the last few years.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
Anybody else hearing this kind of thing?
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
But they said that Is not true with most.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.
Not really sure how I feel about this.

Reactions: 2 people
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.

Swain and RTI are the only shows worth listening to on that station. Four quarters or whatever is trash.

Reactions: 6 people
we are not really hurting anyway because we lost michael sawyers, joe henderson and payne. I would like to have some of the others but its fine. Martin is here and Wharton transfers to a new school about every yr. Hes done it for years.

Reactions: 4 people
Butch is the type of coach who takes practice and academics seriously. It's nice to have a coach who actually gives a rats a** about his players' behavior. Butch's theory is more like, "You either try your best or leave this football team." That's the way I see it and there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: 28 people
I swear. I'm 27...or 28? I think... Anyways, this generation is a bunch of p***ies. Kids can't even take constructive criticism. It's always someone else's fault.

Reactions: 36 people
Butch needs to be as kind and gentle as Saban. That guy is pure sugar, that's why he wins so damn much (blue font).

Reactions: 15 people

It's not an unique opinion about Butch... Heard it expressed on this board. These guys are the first to jump on a negative angle regarding Tennessee. I started the Cheating Under Barnes thread right after listening to them. It might be their calling card on radio row to set themselves apart. Anyone who doesn't think Butch needs to continually self-evaluate and adjust, isn't being realistic. He may have intent with some of the rough edges tho. What has remained after defections seems to be a pretty tight group. Lemond Johnson stuck through two seasons as did Drae Bowles...their transfers are generally regarded as playing time based. Most of the miffed transfers came after one season. Why are Hendrix,Helm and Wharton disgruntled while Barnett,Wolf and Hurd (who stayed) are bought in? :dunno:

Reactions: 3 people
When you're dealing with a bunch of self-absorbed young people, you're going to have problems with some of them.

When you're dealing with people who have a sense of entitlement, because they've always been treated special, you're going to have problems making all of them happy.

When you're dealing with anyone in any scenario, whether it be family, work or school, not everyone is always going to get along.

It's too bad that we can't always be perfect, but it shouldn't come as a surprise. It's just unrealistic to have that as an expectation. It's like complaining about injuries. They're just part of the game.

Reactions: 3 people
If Butch was more kind and gentle, would this make him more Mark Richt like?
Is Jones just too mean?

Football coaches too mean and tough talking, what's next?

There are people who won't be happy until we hang this next to the "I will give my all for Tennessee today!" sign :

a9893e046138b0500a44e97d750aedf7.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
IMO some of these players are just prima-donnas & have been coddled all of their life for their athletic abilities & don't know how to take being coached up. Look at Saban & Spurrier for example, both are hard azz's with a fairly high transfer rate & are proven winners. Let Butch do his thing & the players that can't handle his coaching style can leave & we'll attempt to replace them with better talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Oh, I forgot one other interesting thing they said.
They claimed that Butch has only one style and that some kids respond better to less harsh treatment.
They said that he would be more successful by changing his approach with certain personalities.
They said that Butch is such a great recruiter because he is a super nice guy to the recruit/families but when the player gets on campus Butch changes into a mean hard a**.

If Butch was more kind and gentle, would this make him more Mark Richt like?
Is Jones just too mean?

Football coaches too mean and tough talking, what's next?

I've heard stories about Bear Bryant and how tough he could be, but today you get jail for spanking the kids?

VN Store

Back