Oklahoma will answer two major concerns in 2015 for the Vols.

1standgoal

Oklahoma will answer two major concerns for the Vols. (1) Offensive line improvement, especially in pass protection and (2) Ability to stop the run, with whoever starts at MLB. If Tennessee can pull out a win, those concerns will have been answered.

Reactions: 19 people
Oklahoma is breaking in a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive line (returning only 28 combined starts).

We of all people should understand by now that a new offensive scheme + inexperienced OL = recipe for disaster. Needless to say, I'm not too concerned about their offense.

Reactions: 8 people
We are Tennessee, they are Oklahoma enough said Big Orange pulls away in second half and wins 34-17 to show the Fans and entire country that Tennessee is once again a Football power.:lolabove:

Reactions: 4 people
O=Line is my only real concern. We will live or die by their play this season.

I agree. If our big eaters can put it together this season it could be the start of our Vols climbing out of the cellar and getting back to the top of the mountain in the SEC east. Anybody who watches SEC football knows that games are won and lost inside the trenches. Dobbs mobility is going to really help our young Online.

Reactions: 1 person
Oklahoma will answer two major concerns for the Vols. (1) Offensive line improvement, especially in pass protection and (2) Ability to stop the run, with whoever starts at MLB. If Tennessee can pull out a win, those concerns will have been answered.

Lines, yep I think it will be fun to watch these guys grow.

I have to think in my minds eye CBJ will have something special for OU's Striker this year. I fully expect to see him blown the xxxk up a few times.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know if we'll be sure about our ability to stop the run til Arkansas. Their experienced OL will be a big test. They live by the run. We could have inflated stats til then. We stop their run and I say we got this.

Reactions: 2 people
Can we finally beat florida? That's my major question. Apologies if that's a thread derail but I'm tired of losing to those reptilian f***s!

Reactions: 7 people
Oklahoma is the first big measuring stick of the 2015 season. True.

OLine and MLB/defensive leadership are the top questions on either side of the ball. True.

Put those truths together, and you have the OP.

I agree entirely.

(you'll notice I finessed one element of OP's point: for me, the starter at MLB is more a question of leadership of the defense than of stopping the run. both important, but leadership is the bigger question).

Last edited:
Everybody talks about MLB being the big concern for our defense (and I agree), but our defense won't take the next step unless KMac and Tuttle play at a high level right out of the gate like Barnett did last year.

Not to say they have to match his production or anything. Barnett didn't really hit his stride until midseason. But he was solid from the get go. We need Tuttle and KMac to be solid early too. Our defense won't take the next step if we can only rotate 3 reliable DTs in and out.

Reactions: 5 people
Everybody talks about MLB being the big concern for our defense (and I agree), but our defense won't take the next step unless KMac and Tuttle play at a high level right out of the gate like Barnett did last year.

Not to say they have to match his production or anything. Barnett didn't really hit his stride until midseason. But he was solid from the get go. We need Tuttle and KMac to be solid early too. Our defense won't take the next step if we can only rotate 3 reliable DTs in and out.

You're missing one...O'Brien or Owen Williams. They're both solid to better. Picou gets in and Vickers delivers and we can go 3 deep. Nothing for sure but some even odds.

Reactions: 5 people

the sooners have a fast,stout, defense and they are good and shouldn't be underestimated . :no:

Reactions: 3 people
It amazes me how so many people here overlook how solid O'Brien and Williams are as DT's. You guys do realize those two young men are not going to just lie down and let two true freshmen take their positions. Vickers and Saulsberry want their spot in the rotation just as much. Hear me out. I'm not advocating that Tuttle and KMac aren't capable of getting serious playing time (KMac is going to be starting this season). I just would like to see O'Brien and Williams receive more credit that is owed to them.

Reactions: 10 people
Our o-line has to be better this year for us to make and impact and surprise some people this year, the mlb position does not really concern me that much because I think with our deep and talented secondary if someone doesn't lock down that position we may see alot if find packages with Mcneil and Ev. Berry being the run support.

You're missing one...O'Brien or Owen Williams. They're both solid to better. Picou gets in and Vickers delivers and we can go 3 deep. Nothing for sure but some even odds.

No, honestly I was assuming O'Brien and Williams would be givens and that Vickers can contribute a bit at least. But, as we saw last year, relying on 3 undersized DTs all season is tough. Remember, our run defense wasn't so hot up the middle. Teams would often start leaning on us a little late in games. That happens when you only have 3 DTs to split reps with. We had to play tired guys a lot.

We need Tuttle and Mckenzie to at least be able to rotate in with little or no drop off from our upperclassmen to have a truly stout defense.

Reactions: 1 person
It amazes me how so many people here overlook how solid O'Brien and Williams are as DT's. You guys do realize those two young men are not going to just lie down and let two true freshmen take their positions. Vickers and Saulsberry want their spot in the rotation just as much. Hear me out. I'm not advocating that Tuttle and KMac aren't capable of getting serious playing time (KMac is going to be starting this season). I just would like to see O'Brien and Williams receive more credit that is owed to them.

I wasn't trying to imply that the freshmen need to start or that O'Brien and Williams won't be counted on. What I meant is that we need to be able to rotate 4-5 deep at DT with guys who can all be relied on.

O'Brien and Williams often played too many snaps per game last year. If we can rotate 4-5 guys throughout games this season, I expect them to be even more effective.

VN Store

Back