Guarantano vs. Dormady

finsmania19

If Guarantano stays with UT, I'm curious to see how the QB competition plays out with him and Dormady. Both guys have a tremendous upside, and it will be very interesting to see what happens. I know this is very early and hypothetical. What is everyone's thought on this competition?

If Guarantano stays with UT, I'm curious to see how the QB competition plays out with him and Dormady. Both guys have a tremendous upside, and it will be very interesting to see what happens. I know this is very early and hypothetical. What is everyone's thought on this competition?

Dormady will be a junior with three years of experience and a bucketload of intangibles to go with top-line passing skills. Guarantano will be a redshirt freshman and start from day one. :)

Reactions: 1 person
With the high ceiling for both, it would be nice to see them both get meaningful playing time. Plus, injuries are always a possibility.

Assuming Dormady wins the backup this year and next, he would be a junior when JG is a redshirt freshman. We could potentially have both lead the offense for 2 full years with both being second string and getting meaningful reps for 2 full years. hypothetically of course. :)

Reactions: 5 people
The G-man will start as a RS Soph once Dormady or Jones goes pro after their junior year

QD will probably beat out Jones for the backup spot since he was an EE, but I see Jones as the future. I really don't care who wins, I just want whoever does to play well.

QD will probably beat out Jones for the backup spot since he was an EE, but I see Jones as the future. I really don't care who wins, I just want whoever does to play well.

Jones needs a redshirt for sure to develop. Reported to team at 182lbs iirc. Dormady is very talented, has a nice head start over Jones and will be difficult to beat out IMO. The beautiful thing as a fan is that we have very talented options at QB....we should win in the end no matter who comes out on top.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the timing of them getting to UT will work out great for us. I watched Jarrett at the Elite11 semis in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago. The kid has a cannon, and was throwing with great accuracy and velocity. Nothing but good things coming for our Vols!

First off its awesome that we have the talent to have a discussion like this in the first place. Second, No one has seen any of these guys play college level talent so anything can and probably will happen before its all said and done. Having said all that, I feel like after Dobbs, Dormady will be the guy. What will probably happen is that whoever comes in 3rd in this competition will transfer out and think that's Jones. But who knows, this is all just speculation anyways.

In all my years of watching and keeping up with our Vols I can not think of any other time that we had so much talent in the QB position.

I think JG has the most skill, talent and potential. Does he start? IDK. Maybe one of the other qbs pushes too far ahead.

Reactions: 2 people
maybe it comes down to how the team is. A lot of question marks on offense Butch might go with the more established player. Or if he doesn't trust the O-line maybe he goes the more mobile player. maybe our skill players are so good that he goes with whoever gets them the ball better, more of a game manager instead of someone who has to win the games themselves.

I also wonder if off the field issues might determine things, if it is a 50/50 split or only a slight favorite. Get in trouble, get benched, grades aren't up to snuff, get benched, miss a meeting get benched. a lot of things will go into it.

My thought is one is a true freshman who has never taken a snap at this level, while the other is a HS senior. Nobody knows how it will play out. Sheriron Jones will also be a factor. I think it's a good problem to have.

You guys know we have it good when we're debating which elite QB is going to be starting in the future. Bright days ahead.

Both going to be great Quarterbacks. Each will have his moment. Lucky for both, neither has to carry the load day one. They can learn without the pressure of being "The One".

Here's the most likely QB path over the next four years:
  • 2015: Dobbs starts, Dormady backup; Jones and Jennings redshirt; others hold for FG Att.s
  • 2016: Dobbs starts, Dormady or Jones backup; Jennings changes position or school; Guarantano redshirts
  • 2017: Dormady or Jones starts, the other and Guarantano backup; new QB recruit redshirts
  • 2018: Dormady or Jones to NFL, the other and Guarantano compete for starts, we keep reloading with new recruits
Could it play out another way? Absolutely, and it will be a blast to watch it unfold. Go Vols!

Isn't he in elementary school?

High School Sophomore. 6'6", 185, dream school Tennessee, already rated #1 QB in his class, possibly overall, won 8th grade natty, and he already throws so well that the coaches at the camps are just putting down their clipboards. Dude is incredible.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back