Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read  
2907 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read

Power
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/...zahn_power.png

Power Read
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/...vertedveer.gif
OF
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4987c9TOCD8/VMhlTollIwI/AAAAAAAABqI/x1pCJbUkhmI/s1600/Slide1.JPG

Today we ran the ball 29 times by my count (I missed two plays, one was a run the other I don't know, because of the announcers talking putting up non-sense graphics on the screen). Here's the breakdown by play:

Zone-12
Power Read-9
OF-5
Power-2
Unknown run (Maria was calling the plays, so the camera was on her)-1

What's interesting is the increased use of power blocking schemes. Power, OF, and Power read are all simply slight variations of the exact same play. That means we ran 16 variations of power, while only running zone 12 times.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Here is a basic power play. The playside of the offensive line tries to build a wall and pin the entire defense to the inside, except for the play side defensive end.

From there the left guard pulls and leads up on the playside LB, the FB kicks the defensive end, and the RB reads his block.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.39.34 PM.png (18.1 KB, 783 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

Here is OF

OF is nearly identical to power. The only difference is that on OF the guard kicks the DE and the FB leads up on the LB.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.44.21 PM.png (12.4 KB, 758 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
orange parmejohn

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Love reading your posts V8.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

And this is Power Read:

The glaring difference here is that the TE/FB/Wingback/WTFE you want to call him is not a key part of the blocking scheme. Because we no longer need someone to block the playside defensive ends, since we will now read him with the QB.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.47.12 PM.png (10.7 KB, 753 views)
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

The reason I picked this topic to right about, is because power read was almost never ran with Worley. It was something we only started using late in the season last year. The reason is because power read requires a more athletic QB than zone read does.

Here's our breakdown of power read vs. zone read with each QB:

Dobbs: 6 zone to 4 power

Dormady: 5 zone to 0 power

Jennings: 1 zone to 5 power

Notice our least athletic QB did not run power read one time (unless it was the play I missed when Maria was calling the defense, I know that play was a run play and I know Dormady was in).

Also note that our most athletic qb ran power read more than anything else.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

I'm not certain of the origins of power read, but I do know who made it popular. Power read exploded in the coaching community after Cam Newton and Auburn won their national championship.

What is the Inverted Veer / Dash Read? | Smart Football

Here's a good article on the subject. Although, they use the term inverted veer, it is the same thing. We are pulling the back side guard and reading the play side DE.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

This is why I'm excited to see this scheme added, for the play action and RPO (run/pass option) plays that we can run off power action.

Here's a great article about two of the three best power action teams a from a few years back Baylor and Stanford, Auburn is the third. I'll add some examples of Marshall from Auburn throwing deep post routes for TDs off power action passes later.

“A very wise coach once told me, ‘If you really want play-action, you better pull a guard'” — Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III agree | Smart Football
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Vol8188
revolUTion in the air!

I'll pick up where I left off with this tomorrow and go into detail on the play action and run/pass options (think of a zone read, except the option is to keep and pass; not keep and run) off this. We will look at Auburn's success using power action passes and look at some of the rpo's we ran off this concept last season.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
LittleVol

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Good stuff man.

We still need a deep threat at WR to make that PA rollout effective.

The power plays develop quicker and the trigger man needs quicker feet as a result of the crashing defender.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
butchna

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Great stuff...I said when Coach Jake left, that Butch watched Ohio State's spread execute the power run and told his right hand man "I want THAT...on our field...YESTERDAY!" Next thing you know, Jake is realizing his lifelong dream of coaching QBs in the NFL...never have said that Jake was pushed out, but power running isn't in his DNA IMO. He got out while the getting was good.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
old vol

Good read-Vol8188. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
Paper_Towel
Bolt. Down. Everything.

I love you. You're wonderful. You need a Play Guru tag or something.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
jtipto10

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol8188 View Post
Power
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/...zahn_power.png

Power Read
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/...vertedveer.gif
OF
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4987c9TOCD8/VMhlTollIwI/AAAAAAAABqI/x1pCJbUkhmI/s1600/Slide1.JPG

Today we ran the ball 29 times by my count (I missed two plays, one was a run the other I don't know, because of the announcers talking putting up non-sense graphics on the screen). Here's the breakdown by play:

Zone-12
Power Read-9
OF-5
Power-2
Unknown run (Maria was calling the plays, so the camera was on her)-1

What's interesting is the increased use of power blocking schemes. Power, OF, and Power read are all simply slight variations of the exact same play. That means we ran 16 variations of power, while only running zone 12 times.

Too long, didn't power read

jk. really interesting stuff. thanks for the explanations
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #15
TNHopeful505
No More Excuses.

Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Towel View Post
I love you. You're wonderful. You need a Play Guru tag or something.
Gay.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP