Butch is simply just cleaning house!

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Ok before everyone starts having a panick attack over all the transfers and what not, let me remind you that this a positive sign for the program. Yes, Wharton, Jenkins, and Sawyers are all great players but if you look at all the talent that Butch is bringing in, he's simply just recruiting players over. (Cleaning house that is) Butch is simply bringing in better talent than those guys thats been mentioned about transferring. This isn't the Dooley era anymore where we were fighting the likes of Toledo, Utah St, Dartmouth for recruits. This is the Butch Jones era where we're beating out the big boys for recruits. He wants the best players available and he wants to win championships. The way I see it, you're either with him or without him. Everyone needs to relax and let Butch work everything out.

Reactions: 24 people
exactly..we are building back to greatness...dont tell too many people though...i had a bunch of idiots jump on me in another thread for saying the same thing..some get it and some do not...very unfortunate

Reactions: 5 people
Agree with sentiment but has the Wharton thing even been confirmed?

He has to. You can only have a total of 85 scholarship players. Right now the roster with the early enrollees sits at about 71 or 72 scholarship players if I'm counting correctly. Someone can please verify. That means he can only have 13 or 14 more players enroll and he has 18 hard commits. He needs to get the current roster down to 67 scholarship players to have room for these additional 18. Or more then he needs to get it to maybe 65?

Reactions: 1 person
Im not panicking. And I certainly do not think the sky is falling. I think we have the personnel in place to find a substantial OC and to still have enough depth to compete in the SEC. That said, I cannot really agree wih you that losing these players and especially losing Baj is a "positive thing for the program."

Can we sustain the hit? I think so.

Is it a favorable situation? No

Reactions: 5 people
Believe what you want. I don't think it's the end of the world but most of the guys leaving recently are Butch Jones recruits not dead weight left overs. If he's having to clean this much house after one year he needs to do a better job of evaluating players. That said I'll be more concerned if we start having starters or more potential true difference makers leaving similar to Helm and Hendrix.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
This is the Saban Model, Bama signs a full class every season. 25 or more per class means there has to be attrition each year, that is all.

Reactions: 6 people
All of the names that have been posted today can be shocking. However, the tweet from Maybin tonight is very telling if you ask me. Certainly seems to support the "cleaning house" theory.

Jalen Reeves Maybin -- "@Finally_Maybin: Soft people can't last hard times"

Reactions: 9 people
All of the names that have been posted today can be shocking. However, the tweet from Maybin tonight is very telling if you ask me. Certainly seems to support the "cleaning house" theory.

Jalen Reeves Maybin -- "@Finally_Maybin: Soft people can't last hard times"

Very interesting, I'm sure he means the OC has much as anyone, it was apparent at many times this past season that he was in way over his head.

It seems obvious that he was asked to look around for a new home just like many of the players are being asked to as well.

Im not panicking. And I certainly do not think the sky is falling. I think we have the personnel in place to find a substantial OC and to still have enough depth to compete in the SEC. That said, I cannot really agree wih you that losing these players and especially losing Baj is a "positive thing for the program."

Can we sustain the hit? I think so.

Is it a favorable situation? No

Replacing coach Jake is a good move in my opinion. What has he done since he's been here that makes you think losing him is a bad thing?

Reactions: 2 people
Ok before everyone starts having a panick attack over all the transfers and what not, let me remind you that this a positive sign for the program. Yes, Wharton, Jenkins, and Sawyers are all great players but if you look at all the talent that Butch is bringing in, he's simply just recruiting players over. (Cleaning house that is) Butch is simply bringing in better talent than those guys thats been mentioned about transferring. This isn't the Dooley era anymore where we were fighting the likes of Toledo, Utah St, Dartmouth for recruits. This is the Butch Jones era where we're beating out the big boys for recruits. He wants the best players available and he wants to win championships. The way I see it, you're either with him or without him. Everyone needs to relax and let Butch work everything out.

I agree to some extent but am concerned about WR. We have 1 WR in this class. Although probably not future stars how are we recruiting over Wharton, Jenkins, Bowles..? especially losing Howard, Pearson and Johnson after next year.

I still think you keep Wharton . this is still Tennessee and u keep the legacy players . look at how many was in the first class . you know they want to give there all for Tennessee a little bit more than someone from California . at least I know I would .

Reactions: 4 people
I still think you keep Wharton . this is still Tennessee and u keep the legacy players . look at how many was in the first class . you know they want to give there all for Tennessee a little bit more than someone from California . at least I know I would .

If Wharton does indeed leave, it's his decision to no longer be a Vol. I would be surprised if he's gone.

Last edited:
Replacing coach Jake is a good move in my opinion. What has he done since he's been here that makes you think losing him is a bad thing?

I agree, has long as UT gets a coach that runs the same system as Butch, we don't need Dobbs having to learn and get comfortable with a new system.

^ You can't force, nor would I want to force anyone to stay that did not want to be here.

Supposedly he felt slighted for being the first recruit in that class and didn't get the playing time he deserved. Hope he stays and commits himself to competing for a job. If he gives his best but is still behind better talent, then I don't blame him for leaving. I think he can be a great player and hope he stays!

Supposedly he felt slighted for being the first recruit in that class and didn't get the playing time he deserved. Hope he stays and commits himself to competing for a job. If he gives his best but is still behind better talent, then I don't blame him for leaving. I think he can be a great player and hope he stays!

Playing time is earned, he's not entitled to anything. If he's not willing to earn it then someone should show him the door.

Reactions: 2 people

The problem he felt slighted because he did not get the playing time he DESERVED is the problem. He did not DESERVE any playing time. He had to earn playing time just like everyone else did.

Saban has also had a ton of coaching turnover, and kept right on rolling.

Until he hit a motherbuckeyen wall when OSU denied him another NC (Thank God.)

I HATE Saban, Bama, Kiffin, Crimson, Elephants, Tide detergent, 4-wheelers, Bears, Rammer Jammers, missing teeth, Marlboro Reds, Harvey Updike, T-bags, tree poison, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Gadsten, Mobile, Orange Beach, and everything and everywhere else in the state of Alabama except Auburn because they are the only ones who can come close to truly understanding my feelings about the team who plays TN on the 3rd Saturday in October!!!!

Rant over

Don't bring up Saban again as an example that we should follow PLEASE.

:)

Reactions: 13 people
We only have 1 WR committed and have 3 Seniors Pig, Johnson, Von. North could leave if he explodes. Who does that leave us the following year? Talent but not a ton of depth. Worries me

VN Store

Back