Does ESPN even try?

Dewey

I just noticed ESPN's final recruiting rankings just came out, and I cannot help but laugh at some of their rankings...

McKenzie #26 overall. #5 DT...
Phillips #70 overall #9 DE
Jennings- Still listed as an Athlete...
Tuttle- #7 DT

The only positive thing I see from ESPN rankings is that they don't blow up the Alabama players. Their highest rated is Sheffield at #12 overall.

FSU has 3 of top 11...

Tim Settle is a 5* for goodness sakes...

The ESPN rankings have almost as much respectability as Scout (which is low).

Reactions: 5 people
Does it really matter? It's how they perform on the field that counts....not where they're subjectively ranked as hs players.

UT's class is stellar and addressed a lot of needs (which is what classes are supposed to do).

Reactions: 30 people
Does it really matter? It's how they perform on the field that counts....not where they're subjectively ranked as hs players.

UT's class is stellar and addressed a lot of needs (which is what classes are supposed to do).

+1

These past two classes are awesome and the rankings do not matter the second they step on campus.

Reactions: 1 person
It's hard for me to see how anyone in this year's class is a better DT than McKenzie. The guy already looks like the second coming of Reggie White.

Reactions: 6 people
The answer to your question is "no". They don't. They don't spend the money and are much more political. There have been credible reports that many reporters at ESPN have an anti-SEC bias.

It is an add-on for them. It is the primary business of Scout, Rivals, and 247.... sort of like buying BBQ ribs at Applebee's vs a real BBQ restaurant.

Reactions: 10 people
No offense but I seriously doubt you have any clue what guys like K Mac and Phillips should be ranked vs other top players that you likely can't even name :p

3dc2d6408c8749026d3da5a849489bfa.jpg

To me rankings are now completely irrelevant, just know that this class is FANTASTIC and everyone with any FB knowledge dam well knows it!!! :rock::rock::rock:

I read the OP as more of a question on why their is such disparity between ESPN, 247, Rivals, & Scout. He didn't say anything about his ability to rate players or that he could do it better or if this years class is of lesser value because of star rankings.

It's a wonder this board stays a float with all the Jack assery these days.

For what's it's worth, my opinion would mirror SJT8's reply as I think he's on to something.

Good day VOL Fans...

Reactions: 15 people
The most important thing is that Butch and gang get the recruits they think they need and for the most part that appears to be the case.

Well, we did climb to number 5 in their class ratings because of upgrades they gave our recruits. We have another recruit who climbed in at #285 IIRC in the top 300. But overall they are terrible, I still enjoy the POWER T being up there in there top 5 recruiting classes for everyone in the country to see if the log on to ESPN.

Although ESPN recruiting rankings are behind Scout, Rivals, and 247, recruiting rankings do matter to a certain extent. Take a team like Vandy that has recruiting classes that average in the 40's (or something like that) and compare their success to a team that finishes ranked in the top 10 every year. The results are night and day. Stars do matter, but are not foolproof.

No.

Sean Salsbury tries to show his frank and beans to the ladies around the office though.

I read the OP as more of a question on why their is such disparity between ESPN, 247, Rivals, & Scout. He didn't say anything about his ability to rate players or that he could do it better or if this years class is of lesser value because of star rankings.

It's a wonder this board stays a float with all the Jack assery these days.

For what's it's worth, my opinion would mirror SJT8's reply as I think he's on to something.

Good day VOL Fans...

I wasn't bashing, just don't see why becausr some of our guys arent seen as the better players just like the majority or recruiting services they aren't as credible. 5* are busts and 3* become legends so everyone's opinions are different. Just so happens espn isn't very high on K Mac etc

The recruiting class rankings...not sure what good they are other than contributing to fueling the CFB media beast.

Pinkel's success w/ his classes has been interesting though.

The recruiting class rankings...not sure what good they are other than contributing to fueling the CFB media beast.

Pinkel's success w/ his classes has been interesting though.

I personally think that Missouri's lack of talented depth will catch up with them sooner rather than later.

I just noticed ESPN's final recruiting rankings just came out, and I cannot help but laugh at some of their rankings...

McKenzie #26 overall. #5 DT...
Phillips #70 overall #9 DE
Jennings- Still listed as an Athlete...
Tuttle- #7 DT

The only positive thing I see from ESPN rankings is that they don't blow up the Alabama players. Their highest rated is Sheffield at #12 overall.

FSU has 3 of top 11...

Tim Settle is a 5* for goodness sakes...

The ESPN rankings have almost as much respectability as Scout (which is low).

Don't worry about it. This will be settled when we play ESPN next season and 'whip dey azz.'

Recruiting rankings are becoming more and more political.....it's the connected society.....the monitored one as well

Reactions: 3 people

While it doesn't matter directly to our current recruit's on-field success, it absolutely matters for the perception of the program. If you think that recruits don't notice when 4 and 5 stars go to UT and notice what we are ranked, you are kidding yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back