Is Rocky Top out dated?

1standgoal

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly, bluegrass song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team, playing Rocky Top over and over and over and over and over is insane in college sports today. What about the playing the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies instead? It may run a little long, but it does have a catchy melody and also has a banjo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
3803111-4527376317-full..gif

Reactions: 38 people
"Rocky Top" is one of the most recognizable fight songs in college. One would be a fool to change it at this point.

Maybe in the future if there's a hit song about Tennessee. Until then.........NO!!!

Reactions: 74 people
Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victoUry. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Uhh, it's Rocky Top man. You can't just nix Rocky Top. Also, Rocky Top is also a nickname for the stadium/surrounding area. This is just how I feel.

Reactions: 9 people
Oh my. Wow. I am young and am all for a jersey change up here and there, but I want rocky top forever! That is like saying running throught the T is becoming outdated. Holy smokes.

Reactions: 4 people
Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Rocky Top is who we are. Its never going anywhere. When the players sing the entire song after a come from behind win that tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: 4 people
Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.
Did you forget to take your crazy pills this morning?

Reactions: 2 people

1187122.gif

Reactions: 6 people
Yeah while we're at it let's get rid of orange & white and move to pink & black as our school colors. Adding Nike pink tutus to the football uniforms would be a nice touch. There is obviously no fool like an old fool.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back