Dual threat QB has design problems

1standgoal

The QB position has evolved across the nation from Oregon, Auburn, Miss State, and even Northern Illinois. Now TN is forced to run option the QB because of an inconsistent offensive line rather than by design on most plays. This can only lead to a greater chance of injury to the team's most valuable position. Three NFL teams have dual-threat QBs and it's probably for a reason.

Coaching Football for Dummies - National Alliance for Youth Sports

Here you go. Hope this helps. :):)

coaching-football-for-dummies-1020.cfm

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That's why you recruit similar individuals. Butch knows he needs a mobile QB. he just had what he had. Ill bet in two years we'll have 4 dual threat QBs

Reactions: 7 people
The QB position has evolved across the nation from Oregon, Auburn, Miss State, and even Northern Illinois. Now TN is forced to run option the QB because of an inconsistent offensive line rather than by design on most plays. This can only lead to a greater chance of injury to the team's most valuable position. Three NFL teams have dual-threat QBs and it's probably for a reason.

Yeah, we should switch to an immobile QB. I think they could work really well in this offense.

Reactions: 8 people
Three NFL teams have dual-threat QBs and it's probably for a reason.

Yep, the reason was well stated by some NFL linebacker (too lazy to research and don't remember) who told Johnny Football to basically go back to college because in the NFL all the linebackers are faster than you. The NFL doesn't avoid running QB's because of fear of injury. They avoid them because there's a certainty of injury and a little chance of success even when they don't get injured.

In college, not so much. Many running QB's have led their teams to the Natty. I have no fear rooting for a team featuring a DT QB. Well, this year there's some fear. It'd be nice if the backups had some wheels, too.

AV

Reactions: 5 people

no what leads to a greater chance of injury is one that stands there and gets obliterated the entire game. I will take a qb that can avoid a hit/sack in order to make a play, rather than imitate a statue, anyday.

Reactions: 7 people
no what leads to a greater chance of injury is one that stands there and gets obliterated the entire game. I will take a qb that can avoid a hit/sack in order to make a play, rather than imitate a statue, anyday.

Or have a decent line.

Reactions: 1 person
In the NFL you get hit by the likes of Eric Berry on a regular basis. In the NCAA you get hit by the likes of Justin Coleman on a regular basis. See the difference?

Reactions: 14 people

So... you're saying we should bench Dobbs and start Peterman?

Reactions: 2 people
Seriously?

We complain about Worely and his inability to move around and get away from sacks. Then people complain that a mobile QB is more likely to get hurt.

Geez guys. Come on.

Reactions: 16 people
I remember a kid from FLA named Tebow that was called a dual threat QB in college, though I would submit his passing ability wasn't much of a threat.

And I think if he stuck with it he could have been a mighty fine strong safety in the NFL!

Reactions: 1 person
Seriously?

We complain about Worely and his inability to move around and get away from sacks. Then people complain that a mobile QB is more likely to get hurt.

Geez guys. Come on.

Not to mention, Worley got hurt, because he was not mobile.

Reactions: 4 people
College and NFL game are 2 distinctly different animals in terms of quarterback play. Too many examples of great collegiate qbs who never make a scratch in the pros to think otherwise. Personally couldn't give a crap, just want an effective, efficient, productive qb AT TENNESSEE who moves the chains and leads us to wins. Dual threat qbs work in the college game regardless of whether or not they do in the NFL.

Seriously?

Geez guys. Come on.

So far in this thread only one guy has complained about it--the OP.

I thought Dobbs did a really good job of getting out of bounds to avoid hits

Me too. But I definitely prefer the QB on those inside zone reads where the keep goes outside vs those Wildcat type runs where he ends up keeping it up the middle. It's great when they work, but there's a lot of hits inside.

What in our offensive scheme makes you think the run plays by Dobbs are not by design? There are scrambles on pass plays every now and then sure, but as a whole the offense is set up to be run by a player like Dobbs......

:blink:

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back