OBC gambling on 4th down

Neyland Law Vol

The OBC went for it on fourth down six, yes SIX, times last week against Auburn. USC scored 5 touchdowns at top five Auburn and had a chance to win on the final play.

Does the OBC come out and call a similar aggressive game against our defense?

Here's a look back at just how ridiculous those fourth-down calls were.

1. 4th-and-2, own 33, 15:00/2Q: The game was tied at this point. No reason to really go for it except that it's Spurrier -- so why not? Credit the call, though. South Carolina ran what looked like an option, but Thompson flipped it forward to Mike Davis, who ran for 18 yards and the first down. The Gamecocks later scored a touchdown on the drive.
Ridiculous meter (out of 10): 7

2. 4th-and-6, own 40, 4:34/3Q: This one would have made a little more sense when it was 4th-and-1, but a false start penalty moved it back five yards, making it 4th-and-6. Even down a touchdown, it's way too early to go for that, right? Wrong. The play was nearly blown up in the backfield, but Thompson somehow got it to Pharoh Cooper for the first down.
Ridiculous meter: 8

3. 4th-and-1, AU 23, 14:38/4Q: Again, the game was tied. South Carolina had all the momentum after recovering the onside kick, so it made sense to go for it in this spot. Some coaches might have tried the field goal and gone for the lead, but Spurrier was on a roll. To nobody's surprise, Davis went straight up the middle and got the first down.
Ridiculous meter: 3

4. 4th-and-1, own 34, 10:18/4Q: At this point, Auburn had taken a 42-35 lead and Spurrier knew if he gave the ball back, the game was over. After Davis was stopped just short on third down, the Gamecocks hurried to the line of scrimmage where Thompson called his own number on a quarterback sneak and picked up the first down.
Ridiculous meter: 2

5. 4th-and-8, own 38, 8:42/4Q: This was another one where if you look at the down and distance, the score (42-35) and the time left, it would have made more sense to punt. But Spurrier wasn't giving the ball back to Auburn. Not when he'd already converted all four fourth-down attempts. Thompson hit Adams over the middle, and the streak continued.
Ridiculous meter: 6

6. 4th-and-14, AU 19, 5:34/4Q: Trailing 42-35, South Carolina was going to need to score a touchdown regardless, but a field goal could've made things interesting had the Gamecocks gotten the ball back. Instead, they went for it, and Thompson's pass to Shaq Roland sailed over his head. The luck had run out. Still, 5 of 6 on fourth down ain't bad.
Ridiculous meter: 1

Always entertaining with South Carolina Gamecocks' Steve Spurrier - ESPN

Reactions: 2 people
So Butch isn't a good coach because he doesn't go for it on 4th down often enough with the worst offensive line in the SEC?

Seems like I recall Butch going for it on 4th three times against UGA last year.

Reactions: 27 people
Wasn't looking to turn this into a OBC v. Butch thread. Just whether USC is just as aggressive against our defense, and what the potential impacts will be?

OBC understands how to play in an under dog situation where he knows his team is probably out matched. You don't have to be Hal Mummy every series but nothing wrong with going for it on fourth and short. Here's one question I had is why no on side kick after the first score. Most receiving teams only have 4 on the front line. A bump kick to the kicker has your ten vs their four maybe six.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like teams have done better against our D on 4th than 3rd.
Spurrier was quoted as saying something about as long as he beats UT and GA.

Spurrier has his worst defense since his Duke days and is coaching that way. He does coach to win but nothing was different last year when he played the percentages and punted for field position once in a while.

Spurrier coaches to win, and Jones coaches not to lose.

As a Vol fan I hate to say this, but it's hard to even compare CBJ to OBC. I would give just about anything if CBJ could put together a run like OBC has over the years. It is hard for me to ever pull against Spurrier when he is coaching against teams other then UT. It seems like this might be his last year and I would love to pull off one more win against him.

Everyone has a right to voice an opinion, even if it's stupid. Some of the coach bashing is getting freaking ridiculous. Spurrier is coaching out of desperation because he knows his defense sucks. I don't know what's hard about that.

Reactions: 4 people
you think OBC does that against Auburn in yr 2 with 5 freshmen on offense? He's got a foot in the coaching grave.

You guys miss so much common sense stuff that it becomes scary at times.

Reactions: 2 people
It doesn't look like he is that worried about us scoring very much like he was last week.

Spurrier promised a different offensive game plan than the one against Auburn in which USC tried anything and everything to stay on the field, including gambling six times on fourth game.

"That was just what we thought we had to do to try to win the game last week," Spurrier said. "If we had played better in the red zone, it could have made a difference. It wasn't good enough, but that was the plan last week.

"That's not the plan this week. Tennessee is not ranked that high offensively in the conference.

Last edited:
If Spurrier had any faith that his defense would stop whomever he's playing's offense then he would play more "conventional" football is my guess. But SC's defense puts up about as much resistance as a wet paper towel to a bowling ball and thus he has to factor that into his decision.

If he knows he's gonna come off the field with no points and he knows his defense is gonna give up points then unless its at his own 30 what has he got to lose? Hell even then what has he got to lose?

And this SAME REASONING IS EXACTLY why Butch doesn't necessarily have to go for it on fourth down! He has pretty reasonable confidence he defense will hold the line.

Last edited:
Thats funny. I guess you forgot Butch out-coaching Spurrier last year.

I thought that was a very positive sign last year vs SC.
OBC kept calling time outs, considering going for it on fourth down, searching for the right matchup and CBJ Stood his ground and won the battle.. I remember that well... OBC is one of the all time best; however We got him on that day.

GO VOLS !

OBC understands how to play in an under dog situation where he knows his team is probably out matched. You don't have to be Hal Mummy every series but nothing wrong with going for it on fourth and short. Here's one question I had is why no on side kick after the first score. Most receiving teams only have 4 on the front line. A bump kick to the kicker has your ten vs their four maybe six.

You do an on-sides kick early, when you see the receiving team lined up wrong and not focused.

VN Store

Back