Devrin Young Bashers - Bash This

Nice article. I was wondering about the stats for returning kicks. The missed field goal in the Iron Bowl that was returned for a touch down, how is the listed? It's not a punt or kickoff return and I can't find a missed field goal return stat anywhere. Just wondering.

Reactions: 1 person
Reactions: 3 people
Never had a reason to bash him. He's a hometown kid and he gives it his all to Tennessee. Can't wait to see how he develops this year.

The problem is that the volnation "experts" think he's ineffective because he's never taken one to the house. I'd rather have consistent return yards every kickoff than the once a season TD.

Way to go Devrin.

Reactions: 5 people
This is in no way a knock on Devrin, whom I consider an underrated player on our team, but...In my lifetime as a UT fan we have a very weak history in the return game (born in '81). I know, Gault, but i was too young. Hate to have to mention the negative truth. See if you can remember 2 kick returns for tds in the last decade (without looking it up)

On a positive note, there have been noticeable improvements in all special teams units since CBJ's arrival. I hope Devrin continues to change this unfortunate trend in our football program.

Go Vols! Go Devrin! Go CBJ!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To be fair, our defense has been horrid and our offense has been fairly good, so that results in more possessions and therefore more opportunities to return kicks. Also, the change in kickoff distance means returners have a better opportunity because the kicking team doesn't reach as fast a speed as they used to reach.

And thanks for starting you 2 billionth thread OP! .

Until you posted this, I didn't realize threads were counted. Just never seemed important.

Anyway, here hoping Devrin has a devil of season. Go Devrin Devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

il_570xN.580393620_honr.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not scared to bash. He has all those yards because we have sucked for the years he has been here so he gets lots of chances.

Reactions: 8 people
To be fair, our defense has been horrid and our offense has been fairly good, so that results in more possessions and therefore more opportunities to return kicks. Also, the change in kickoff distance means returners have a better opportunity because the kicking team doesn't reach as fast a speed as they used to reach.

He has only had 54 kick returns, in 26 games played, or 2.08 a game.

He has had 32 punt returns, in 26 games played, or 1.23 a game.

That is not a lot of returns. I assume the stats are just actual returns, excluding touch backs and maybe fair catches.

Our D probably hasn't forced a lot of punts so that part may be all opportunities lol.

Reactions: 1 person

That is not a lot of returns. I assume the stats are just actual returns, excluding touch backs and maybe fair catches.

Our D probably hasn't forced a lot of punts so that part may be all opportunities lol.

He's a good little guy and all but no someone that strikes fear. Goes down on contact. We need a game breaker send he is not that.

Reactions: 4 people
This is in no way a knock on Devrin, whom I consider an underrated player on our team, but...In my lifetime as a UT fan we have a very weak history in the return game (born in '81). I know, Gault, but i was too young. Hate to have to mention the negative truth. See if you can remember 2 kick returns for tds in the last decade (without looking it up)

On a positive note, there have been noticeable improvements in all special teams units since CBJ's arrival. I hope Devrin continues to change this unfortunate trend in our football program.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Leonard Scott, Peerless price

I agree. I'm saying that the movement of the kickoff has resulted in returns that generally are better, because if it's returnable, you'll generally get farther than you would have originally, because the D is arriving slower. If the D was better, I'd say he probably had more like 45 returns.

Did Patterson not return a few during his short tenure?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back