3195 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts? Page 4. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by volboy81 Wouldn't want to give up Bama. I grew to HATE them in the 70s when they ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volboy81 View Post
Wouldn't want to give up Bama. I grew to HATE them in the 70s when they beat us 11 straight times & that hate has only increased lately. I miss the Auburn rivalry but the rivalry w/GA replaced it pretty good...I wouldn't mind giving up FL since we hardly ever played them in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s & 80s when they weren't any good & they're not really southern anyway...that's just a rivalry born out of Spurrier, divisional play & the fact that we led the charge to strip them of their 1984 SEC title that they cheated mightily to get. I'd rather renew our rivalry with OM or even Ark., but that won't happen unless we go to 9 conf games...
Would you still say that if UT had won 17 out of the last 23 and 8 in a row?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #47 (permalink)

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/05/lsu-flo...d-stop-whining

Quote:
The Southeastern Conference is America’s roughest, toughest football league outside the NFL. Considering just what kind of pipeline the SEC has been for the NFL over the last 20 years, we’ll let you decide just how big the gap is between the two entities.

The conference has climbed to the top of the collegiate football heap by staying true to its traditions — more important to Southerners, it seems, than to anyone else from across the country — and by never backing down from a challenge.

While the Big XII immediately killed off the Oklahoma/Nebraska football rivalry upon formation, the SEC did its best when expanding from 10 to 12 teams and again from 12 to 14 teams to protect its oldest, fiercest rivalries. That’s the difference between good karma and bad. The Big XII eventually lost Nebraska to the Big Ten and Oklahoma has had conversations with the Pac-12 and the SEC since 2010 alone.

For those not paying attention, other leagues might occasionally cast an eye toward an SEC school, but the schools in Mike Slive’s league have no interest in taking advantage of the conference’s lack of an exit fee to bolt. There’s money, tradition, and a good esprit de corps. Why leave?

In terms of taking on challenges, many have been self-created… and wisely s0. The belief that the SEC is a war zone filled with America’s top squads has been fostered by conference leaders making things tougher and tougher and tougher on themselves.

When coaches moaned of going from six conference games to seven in a season, the league’s athletic directors ignored them. When coaches bellyached about going from seven conference games to eight per season, again, the league’s ADs paid them no mind. And when coaches shrieked in terror at the thought of adding an SEC Championship Game on top of that eight-game league slate, the leaders of the league shrugged and went ahead and booked Legion Field (and eventually the Georgia Dome) for the first weekend in December anyway.

The eight-game schedule and the championship game first came into being in 1992. In the 21 seasons since, the SEC has won 11 national championships, including in ’92 with an undefeated Alabama team that proved the fraidy cats wrong right off the bat. In the 21 seasons before going to an eight-game schedule and the championship format, the league had won all of four national titles. Prior to Bama’s crown in ’92, the last SEC national champ was Georgia way back in 1980. Things changed when the league expanded, stayed true to its past, and made things more difficult for its teams.

Stated simply: The SEC doesn’t ignore its traditions and history and it consistently sets the bar on mettle-testing.

With that in mind, it’s time for the folks in Baton Rouge and Gainesville to pipe down. Especially those complainers at LSU.

Today, the SEC’s athletic directors will meet and Tiger AD Joe Alleva will once again claim that LSU faces a disadvantage because his school is forced to play Florida each and every season as its permanent opponent. That game, of course, has become one of the best on the SEC’s schedule and television execs have paid the league pretty darn well for that schedule over the past five years.

Florida officials aren’t thrilled with the prospect of having to play an East Division schedule and LSU each year, but the volume on Gainesville groaning hasn’t reached LSU proportions yet. That’s ironic considering Florida has more to complain about.

Let’s look at the records for the Tigers and Gators over the past decade:

Year Florida’s Record LSU’s Record
2012 11-2 10-3
2011 7-6 13-1
2010 8-5 11-2
2009 13-1 9-4
2008 9-4 8-5
2007 13-1 12-2
2006 13-1 11-2
2005 9-3 11-2
2004 7-5 9-3
2003 8-5 13-0

Well, whaddya know? In five of the last 10 seasons, Florida has lost four or more football games. That’s happened just twice at LSU over the past decade. While the Gators have gone 98-33 since 2003, the Tigers have gone 107-24. If anyone’s got room to cry it would appear to be Florida.

When the SEC expanded in 1992 and implemented its eight-game conference schedule, league leaders decided to split things up based on tradition and parity, not geography. That’s why Vanderbilt is in the East and Auburn in the West despite the fact that Nashville is farther west than the Loveliest Village on the Plains.

Schedule-wise, the conference decided that the six traditional SEC powers should be separated — Alabama, Auburn and LSU on one side… Georgia, Florida and Tennessee on the other. On the schedule front, the same logic was followed when determining permanent partners.

Georgia and Auburn have the oldest rivalry in the Deep South. Both are traditional SEC powers. They were paired.

Alabama and Tennessee have — historically speaking — the most-important rivalry in the SEC. They have won more conference crowns than any other schools (UA with 23, UT with 13). They were paired.

Among the four traditional have-nots, Vanderbilt and Ole Miss have one of the SEC’s oldest rivalries. They were paired.

The league’s two new schools at the time — Arkansas and South Carolina — were paired in an effort to quickly gin up a rivalry between the schools.

That left four schools without obvious dance partners: Florida, Kentucky, LSU, and Mississippi State.

Florida and LSU were among the league’s six all-time most successful programs. Kentucky and MSU, well, weren’t.

So Florida and LSU were paired in the interest of parity as were Kentucky and Mississippi State.

Now LSU and Florida — especially LSU — want to throw all of that logic out the window and do away with permanent rivals and the league’s tradition altogether. Historically, there have always been whiners when it comes to difficulties (see: SEC coaches every time a game is added to the league’s schedule). But those doing the crying have never been allowed to have their way. The good of the league has always come first.

So what’s best for the league? LSU playing Florida every season? Or LSU seeing Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Missouri more often? Florida seeing Ole Miss and Mississippi State and Texas A&M more often?

With the league adding two more teams to the mix last season, it’s a natural time to debate the topic. But tradition and toughness have always mattered in the SEC. Those two things should still matter going forward.

Permanent rivals should be maintained for the sake of history and parity. Florida and LSU should continue to face one another every season.

And if Gator and Tiger brass feel like crying about it, they should walk to their trophy cases and look at the two BCS trophies each has won in the past decade. For all their gnashing of teeth over unfair schedules, those schools seem to have done pretty darn well by ‘em.

Last edited by TrueOrange; 05-13-2013 at 10:47 AM..
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #48 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

It was debated as to what happened with the Tenn/NC match up that was cancelled not too long ago. Folks were not happy. Speculation grew. Its all in the archives.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXA&M07 View Post
It was debated as to what happened with the Tenn/NC match up that was cancelled not too long ago. Folks were not happy. Speculation grew. Its all in the archives.
Ahh.....UNC game.....i wasnt happy about that either....i wanted our rematch after getting screwed out of the first game
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #50 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

yeah.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #51 (permalink)
Congressman

Quote:
99, you're talking to a guy who is pretty savvy to killing 100 year old rivalry games. Just FYI.
Yeah, but it was never compelling.

The difference is that was done by choice

Last edited by 99gator; 05-13-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
VN GURU

Bama and no looking back, if your gonna be a bear be a grizzly. Right now they are the best, play the best to get to be the best.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #53 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

that's some intriguing bait 99. I'm not gonna bite though.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah.
What are your thoughts about playing South Carolina yearly, if any at all?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
Congressman

Quote:
that's some intriguing bait 99. I'm not gonna bite though.
I figured that would register.

But, after posting it, i tried to think about when the a&m-texas game had national meaning and it was a struggle.

But, that's the not the point. The point is to those schools is does matter. A lot.

Same with auburn and georgia
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #56 (permalink)
Riding The Wave

Sec

Quote:
99, you're talking to a guy who is pretty savvy to killing 100 year old rivalry games. Just FYI.

How do you miss the emotions of this rivalry, this poorly? Alabama and Tennessee not playing each other is never going to be an intellectual concept. Anymore than Ali vs Frazier was just about two good fighters wanting the heavyweight title. It's emotionally invested and it's personal. The SEC gets that and is doing everything possible to honor the history and tradition of these storied rivalries.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
Belee dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueOrange View Post
You guys already wanted out of arkansas to begin with; plus you'd get to be the only east school to regularly appear in GA, FL, and TX (playing the teams there each year)...that can do wonders for your recruiting if you guys can keep it at the the current level
I want cross-divisional rivalries gone altogether, but I know that will never happen because too many people would be upset at the loss of Auburn/UGA, UT/Bama. Trading Arkansas for A&M makes no sense, though I understand the league is trying to make the Arkansas/Mizzou thing bigger.

Quote:
Darth, I think you'd agree with me on this more so than anyone.

Lets say we suck after Johnny leaves. Say were a little above .500 team. You want that on your resume?

Or in my case, say the Visor bails and hits the links for the rest of his life and yall hire some chump. You think I want another .500 team handcuffed to me every year. I dont need it, you dont need it, and its not going to do us any good at the end. Right?

Its nice now because we're both up, but crap happens. Kids graduate. Coaches leave.
Absolutely.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #58 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

I cant really comment to the concept of not playing the sips. Emotionally, I'm really just over it. We tried. They declined. Its over and thats just the way it is. Contending for National Championships is our concern and frankly, we're in the best place possible to do that. We have a conference championship here. A top notch schedule year in, year out against highly ranked opponents. You cant take a week off and get by here.

As for playing SCAR, its fine now I suppose. They're a 10 win or better program recently and that makes for good scheduling. Just gotta win those matchups. Do I hate em? No. Will I? Not sure.

The mindset here has changed. We used to talk about, like yall do, what would be a dissapointing season. To that, the resounding answer here is "a loss".

Frankly, that's not too far off base currently. At least for next year.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Teams yall will play that will be ranked/ will possibly ranked by the time you meet up:

BAMA
UGA
UF
SCAR
Oregon (OOC)
and maybe Vandy in the top 25 provided they shock some folks.

Thats 5 for sure, and 1 maybe.

Whats the incentitve?

Those cross division rivalries generate huge amounts of cash for the all parties involved on many levels. Not to mention all the color and excitement that make college football the attraction it has become.
However, it does get frustrating when your rival has "had your number" for the past few years !
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #60 (permalink)
Riding The Wave

Sec

Quote:
I cant really comment to the concept of not playing the sips. Emotionally, I'm really just over it. We tried. They declined. Its over and thats just the way it is. Contending for National Championships is our concern and frankly, we're in the best place possible to do that. We have a conference championship here. A top notch schedule year in, year out against highly ranked opponents. You cant take a week off and get by here.

As for playing SCAR, its fine now I suppose. They're a 10 win or better program recently and that makes for good scheduling. Just gotta win those matchups. Do I hate em? No. Will I? Not sure.

The mindset here has changed. We used to talk about, like yall do, what would be a dissapointing season. To that, the resounding answer here is "a loss".

Frankly, that's not too far off base currently. At least for next year.

And thus, herein lies the confusion. You left your conference. At the same time you left much of the emotional identity that came from being in the same conference and wanting the same things and having to go through each other to get it. Alabama and Tennessee haven't gone anywhere and they are not going anywhere. And they are still going through each other to get it. Get it?
Reply With Quote TOP