1394 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Old Vols Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by W.TN.Orange Blood Yeah, I think he passed away couple years ago, but I can't swear to it ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.TN.Orange Blood View Post
Yeah, I think he passed away couple years ago, but I can't swear to it being gospel.
Im just going by Wiki which could be wrong...?

Doug Atkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
I believe.

This thread needs a poll, who else got giving nothing?
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
VN Crisis Counselor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweedvol View Post
I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!!
Not that I don't respect my elders...but well played sir...well played..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Huh? Peyton did not choose Tennessee over anyone. Archie chose David Cutcliff for his boys. Cut just happened to be at UT for one & at Ole Miss for the other.
I really didn't understand most of your post, but don't feel bad, most posters on here make little sense, me included.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctorate in Volology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_Vol View Post
Doug Atkins is still alive. He is 82 years old. General Neylands final year of coaching was 1952. So that was sixty years ago. Therefore most of those players from that final team would be between the ages of 78-83ish. So, I am quite confident that there are at least 15-20 players alive from that final team.
Hank Lauricells is still alive (Hank Lauricella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), as is Jim Haslam (Jim Haslam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Andy Kozar, on the other hand, passed away in 2010 (Vols Legend Kozar Dies in Knoxville - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics). Here is a photo of four of the surviving members of the '51 national championship team as of 10/13/2011 (Tennessee's 1951 National Championship football team : Knoxville Photo Galleries : GoVolsXtra.com: University of Tennessee sports news from The Knoxville News Sentinel).
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Good good good....you should post more tumbleweed! Sorry for a dumb question but who is Mike Terry?
Mike intercepted a pass in the end zone to seal the win against Alabama to end their long winning streak - 1982

I had the pleasure of meeting him and others as part of the FCA. He was quite an inspiration
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DicksonVolFan View Post
Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?
I had the privilege of meeting Doug Atkins, and riding in a beer distributor's car with him to a game at Neyland several years ago. Big Doug was a good friend of my friend, now deceased. Doug was in a word, HUGE. At that time, he really didn't have a great deal of money, because the players in those days didn't get rich. He drove a small older Mercury Capri and had the seat slid all the way back, and also reclined way back so he could fit in the car. He practically laid in his front seat.

I haven't seen him since, but did spend a good deal of time with him that day, and heard some great stories of his time with the Bears and Saints. Doug had a great sense of humor, even though he appeared to be in a lot of pain from his knees. He let me try on his Championship Ring, which was a size 18. I was able to put it over 2 of my fingers. There are 2 men who I shook hands with that I was amazed at the size of their hands . Doug Atkins and Big John Tate.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

I grew up in the 60s near Knoxville. Some of the smartest people I knew were the old guys that took us camping while I was in scouts. Smart and tough. The Vols were their team and I followed. I truly believe I was lucky to grow up in that environment. It's Great to be a Tennessee Vol !!!!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Grad View Post
I had the privilege of meeting Doug Atkins, and riding in a beer distributor's car with him to a game at Neyland several years ago. Big Doug was a good friend of my friend, now deceased. Doug was in a word, HUGE. At that time, he really didn't have a great deal of money, because the players in those days didn't get rich. He drove a small older Mercury Capri and had the seat slid all the way back, and also reclined way back so he could fit in the car. He practically laid in his front seat.

I haven't seen him since, but did spend a good deal of time with him that day, and heard some great stories of his time with the Bears and Saints. Doug had a great sense of humor, even though he appeared to be in a lot of pain from his knees. He let me try on his Championship Ring, which was a size 18. I was able to put it over 2 of my fingers. There are 2 men who I shook hands with that I was amazed at the size of their hands . Doug Atkins and Big John Tate.
Thanks for the reply. I do believe you; I just find it odd that there is no record on the internet about the death of an NFL hall of famer, even on the HOF website itself which is usually very reliable about such matters.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol in Mich View Post
Huh? Peyton did not choose Tennessee over anyone. Archie chose David Cutcliff for his boys. Cut just happened to be at UT for one & at Ole Miss for the other.
I really didn't understand most of your post, but don't feel bad, most posters on here make little sense, me included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DicksonVolFan View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do believe you; I just find it odd that there is no record on the internet about the death of an NFL hall of famer, even on the HOF website itself which is usually very reliable about such matters.
I think he is saying that his friend is deceased. The friend was a friend of Doug Atkins. I don't think he is saying tha Doug is deceased. I don't know for sure. But I follow sports closely and I not recall hearing about his passing.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

doug atkins

we had a barber shop and florist at the old store too. Doug Atkins use to come in and get his hair cut. His frame filled the whole doorway, He was a big man and combed his hair staight back. The store was in what was then Inskip. Clation trailers took over the spot, the old tillery theater was across the street
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I think he is saying that his friend is deceased. The friend was a friend of Doug Atkins. I don't think he is saying tha Doug is deceased. I don't know for sure. But I follow sports closely and I not recall hearing about his passing.
Yeah you're right. Man, my reading comprehension skills are on par with a Bamer.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
My friend died of cancer several years back. He worked for a wholesale florist supply in Knoxville, and his wife was an exec with a beer distributor in Knoxville. The distributor was well connected to the athletic dept. Doug is alive, but I don't believe that he is in very good health now.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

O.P.-the "Big O" reference-thought U were an escapee from the football forum! "Bambi", "Hacksaw", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", George Mooney and John Ward-I listened to those two and could see the game in "my mind"s eye"!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

A friend of my Dad's named Bill Evans was Doug's roommate for a while in '51. Bill was a freshman (I think) & I don't remember what Doug was but I met him, Wow! To a four year old kid he was a monster. Of course most every grown up looked really BIG to me then. Been a Vol fan ever since. One of the few good things I remember from back then.
Oh yeah, I think Bill got thrown out of school before 1952, lost his scholarship & never played, went to Korea instead, meanest SOB I ever knew.
Just one of the few things I remember from back then.
GBO - Give em hell butch!
Reply With Quote TOP