2945 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on New Teams in the SEC. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. I saw an article today that said the SEC would go after Virginia Tech and Clemson next year. If this ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

New Teams in the SEC

I saw an article today that said the SEC would go after Virginia Tech and Clemson next year. If this happens A&M and Missouri would move to the west and Virginia and Clemson would be in the east. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Final Fours? Oh yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDMAN View Post
I saw an article today that said the SEC would go after Virginia Tech and Clemson next year. If this happens A&M and Missouri would move to the west and Virginia and Clemson would be in the east. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.
Nope didnt see it. I dont see it happening either though. Both teams from ACC and with their buyouts from There are substantial.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Believe

Link?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bucket of Lightbulbs

Virginia Tech is a possibility, but Clemson will not be added due to the coalition to keep in state rivals out. The members of the coalition are Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. They have agreed to vote against adding FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

tech also has a state rival that really helped them get into the ACC, when they joined. u v a would not allow this move. tech won't move anyway, knowing they would lose their creampuff schedule of the ACC, and move to a con where they would lose 4 or 5 games a year, easily.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Gguy View Post
Virginia Tech is a possibility, but Clemson will not be added due to the coalition to keep in state rivals out. The members of the coalition are Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. They have agreed to vote against adding FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.
Va tech had to jump through hoops to move to the acc ,their not leaving. Why would they leave a 10 wins a year schedule to come to the meat grinder of the sec
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Don't see it happening, I hope they don't go to the 16 team conference. Would that mess with the Bama game
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Va Tech will not move to SEC (wish they would) and Clemson will not be voted in due to the coalitian to keep out teams in states we have teams now in. Nothing to see here folks, move along
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... Mass Hysteria!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

i think we were all fine with a 12 team Sec so boo to a 16 team or 20 team league just think thats too many teams and you start to water down the product.Dont ruin a good thing Mike Slive even though you hate Tennessee.
smokey79 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

The buy-out will NOT keep a school from switching if they want to. Like aTm said, this is a long-term decision. U's from the states of Virginia and North Carolina obviously make the most sense.

Ultimately I'd like to see us go back to 12. If nothing else kick Mizzou out, I loath that school and don't think they deserve to be in the SEC from a football perspective.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
This We'll Defend

I didn't really want a 14 team conference. But neither of those teams would end up in the SEC
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaVol View Post
The buy-out will NOT keep a school from switching if they want to. Like aTm said, this is a long-term decision. U's from the states of Virginia and North Carolina obviously make the most sense.

Ultimately I'd like to see us go back to 12. If nothing else kick Mizzou out, I loath that school and don't think they deserve to be in the SEC from a football perspective.
I don't think Missouri is a great football school but they have certainly been better over the last 6-8 years than teams like Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Kentucky.....and yes Tennessee. Heck, MU has won ten games or more 3 out of the past 5 years in football. They actually have been better in both football and basketball than A&M as well, so your argument is without merit. To be clear, I am no fan of MU even though I now live in the area. I hope UT whips the fool out of them consistently in both football and basketball, but they are clearly a middle of the road school for the SEC right now, even before they have the competitive advantage of recruiting based on conference rep.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Vol for Life

I'm not a fan of this at all - I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist. However, if this gets us one step closer to a playoff system, I can get over it.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
VOLS Butch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDMAN View Post
Zero chance of that happening
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

I would love to see that but I thought that vt said they wouldn't come to the sec and pay another buyout since they just paid one not to long ago to join the acc but that would be an awesome conference
Reply With Quote TOP