Brandon Lopez not using 5th year of eligibility here

iKrager

Brandon Lopez, a senior walk-on from Austin-East, will participate in the festivities. First-year UT coach Donnie Tyndall confirmed Friday that Lopez is not expected to return next season despite having a season of eligibility remaining. Lopez sat out this season after tearing his right ACL in July. A UT spokesman said that Lopez plans to pursue graduate school and is considering the option of playing elsewhere.

"In Brandon's case, with the knee injury so early, I never really had a chance to really coach him," Tyndall said. "He's a guy who is going to graduate and then make a decision on if he wants to go somewhere else and play his senior year, or get his career started. I don't think he will come back here, just because school is so expensive, etcetera."

Lopez appeared in 31 games as a Vol. He totaled five points, eight assists and three steals during his career.
Tyndall: UT walk-on guard Brandon Lopez expected to move on from Vols - News Sentinel Story

Looks like even though we need a point guard, Brandon won't be staying. Thanks for your contributions Brandon. I really hope this ends all the "Brandon Lopez was going to start" talk. It will be interesting to see if he does play somewhere else.

Reactions: 5 people
Tyndall: UT walk-on guard Brandon Lopez expected to move on from Vols - News Sentinel Story

Looks like even though we need a point guard, Brandon won't be staying. Thanks for your contributions Brandon. I really hope this ends all the "Brandon Lopez was going to start" talk. It will be interesting to see if he does play somewhere else.

Unsatisfied with team performance. Going to start at point guard for Duke. Coach K was impressed with his Rocky Top League numbers.

-Senior Drill

Reactions: 18 people
Unsatisfied with team performance. Going to start at point guard for Duke. Coach K was impressed with his Rocky Top League numbers.

-Senior Drill

Would like this more than once if I could. In all seriousness best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Reactions: 2 people
therealitytheory (senior member) has it right in another thread:
"A better question is what kind of season would another coach have cobbled together...with the defection of Martin's recruiting class and others and the injury to the heir apparent PG.
This could have been an epic melt-down season on par with Wade Houston's last year."

therealitytheory (senior member) has it right in another thread:
"A better question is what kind of season would another coach have cobbled together...with the defection of Martin's recruiting class and others and the injury to the heir apparent PG.
This could have been an epic melt-down season on par with Wade Houston's last year."

So we are quoting VN members as sources now? And out of curiosity, how do you know he wasn't referring to Ian Chiles?

Reactions: 10 people
Thanks for your contribution to ut, Brandon. You're a great representation of the university of Tennessee-Knox, proud to say he was a vol.

So we are quoting VN members as sources now? And out of curiosity, how do you know he wasn't referring to Ian Chiles?
An heir apparent is a person, male or female, who is first in line of succession (team member) and cannot be displaced from inheriting by the birth (transfer) of another person. English minor, you know. :) Still think you should be very proud of such a fine sendoff for a 4 year team member graduating VFL. Petty!

An heir apparent is a person, male or female, who is first in line of succession (team member) and cannot be displaced from inheriting by the birth (transfer) of another person. English minor, you know. :) Still think you should be very proud of such a fine sendoff for a 4 year team member graduating VFL. Petty!

Again, you just assume that Lopez was first in line of succession.

And why would I be proud (or otherwise) of "such a fine sendoff" for Lopez that I didn't even make? I didn't mention him at all in my above post. I'm happy for the kid that he will get his degree and got to spend four years playing ball for his hometown team.

What I did mention was the riculous nature of you quoting VN members as legitimate sources just because they MIGHT agree with your opinion, and the fact that you assumed (again) that the poster you quoted was referencing Lopez.

You're trying waaay too hard SD.

OK. I'll do it 1, 2, 3 for you:
1. Brandon Lopez had run the point for three years going against the Martin first teams.
2. When the Vols opened practice, he was the lead point guard. After Chiles injury, he was the only point guard.
3. Donnie Tyndall singled him, Josh, and Armani out as being the three team leaders. He made the comment that Brandon was right there with the other two as far as leadership.
4. As Brandon continued to impress, Coach T started saying he would play 10 minutes a game but soon moved that to 20. He then said he may be the starter.
5. Going back to high school, he was an All-State player averaging 25+ points a game, so he was a baller. To think he had not improved greatly in 3 years on the Vol basketball team is ludicrous.
6. To think he would have not been the starting point guard when we had no other when Chiles walked in injured is also ludicrous.
7. Perfect size (PPI) for a point guard and very explosive.
8. Then you guys jump on the bandwagon against him when you realize that if a point guard had sat on the bench for the entire Martin tenure and suddenly became a star, that would look not look good. Instead of a Sweet 16, it could have been a national championship.

Last edited:
I'm sorry sd, but if you think Lopez is the difference in a ncaa title then you have really lost your mind lol

Reactions: 1 person
1. Brandon Lopez had run the point for three years going against the Martin first teams.
2. When the Vols opened practice, he was the lead point guard. After Chiles injury, he was the only point guard.
3. Donnie Tyndall singled him, Josh, and Armani out as being the three team leaders. He made the comment that Brandon was right there with the other two as far as leadership.
4. As Brandon continued to impress, Coach T started saying he would play 10 minutes a game but soon moved that to 20. He then said he may be the starter.
5. Going back to high school, he was an All-State player averaging 25+ points a game, so he was a baller. To think he had not improved greatly in 3 years on the Vol basketball team is ludicrous.
6. To think he would have not been the starting point guard when we had no other when Chiles walked in injured is also ludicrous.
6. Perfect size (PPI) for a point guard and very explosive.
8. Then you guys jump on the bandwagon against him when you realize that if a point guard had sat on the bench for the entire Martin tenure and suddenly became a star, that would look not look good. Instead of a Sweet 16, it could have been a national championship.

Agreed. With Brandon Lopez, Michigan wouldn't have had a prayer against us.

Pure lunacy. Lopez starting, PPI, national championship if not for Lopez's injury....this post has it all. Only thing that's missing are RTL stats to make a case for the All-America squad.

I'm sorry sd, but if you think Lopez is the difference in a ncaa title then you have really lost your mind lol
No way did I say that? Young man, you must learn to recognize the spinmeisters! These guys are spinning that statement when Lopez only played a few minutes for the Vols. The key was "What it he became a star?" If that had happened, then the question would start to be asked. The reason there was such an outcry was exactly because it would look bad for the old coach and his diehard fans.

Last edited:
6. Perfect size (PPI) for a point guard and very explosive.

Judging by your numbering order, I can see why you shot for the English minor instead of the Math minor.

1. Your 1st point is irrelevant. New staff, new system. Running the scout team does not an SEC starting PG make.

2. Point #2, also irrelevant because Chiles was never healthy. Lopez was the PG by default until injured because he was the only true PG on the team at the time.

3. Being a leader doesn't make you a great PG.

4. Coaches say a lot of things that don't end up being accurate. It's called coachspeak.

5. Averaging 25 ppg in high school in east Tennessee is akin to averaging 25 ppg in Wyoming or Alaska. Very little competition. Name me the last three power 5 basketball signees to come from the Knoxville/East Tennessee area.

6. This is your only remotely valid point, but it still isn't proof (use your English minor to research the definition) of anything. Him being the only healthy PG on the roster may have still triggered the switch from SF to PG for JRich, who is still a better PG than Lopez despite never having played there.

6 (also known as 7). Stupidest stat ever.

8. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

VN Store

Back