Tyndall learning from these close games

iKrager

Outside of 18-point losses to LSU and No. 1 Kentucky -- and the Vols trailed the unbeaten Wildcats by four points with nine minutes left before being outscored 18-4 down the stretch -- Tennessee has been in all of the games it's lost during the current skid.

The Vols had game-tying shots rim out at the buzzer at both Ole Miss and Arkansas and also missed a tying 3 in the final seconds of a loss at Georgia. Tennessee led in Oxford by eight points in the second half and carried a 57-56 lead into the final two minutes. The game against the Razorbacks was tied at the five-minute mark.

Derek Reese missed a tying dunk with less than a minute left against Mississippi State, and the long rebound led to a run-out and three-point play from Fred Thomas in what was a lethal five-point swing.

A layup from Kevin Punter rolled off the rim against Texas A&M with Tennessee down five points inside the final 1:30.

"There's only been one half of one game where I wasn't proud of our effort," Tyndall said, "so to say, 'Well, could you do something different?' or is there a common theme, it's a tough question.

"We don't get any easy baskets," he added, "and in these one- or two-possession games, if you could throw it to the post and get two or three cheap buckets a game, or if you had more playmakers, which the only real playmaker we have from the perimeter is Josh (Richardson), it would make the game a little bit easier for everybody. But that's just an area we struggle in.

"We're grinding. We're fortunate to win the Vanderbilt game, but we've lost some heartbreakers. But I can't fault our effort. I really don't know if there's a common theme, other than we're learning on the fly with a very youthful team."

Coach Donnie Tyndall thinks UT Vols learning from 'one play' mantra | Local News | Times Free Press

Great to hear from DT......

Reactions: 5 people
I wonder how things will go if UT loses to UF Saturday --- I sure hope the coaches/players are ready for that game even with UFs bad record this year. I hate UF

I wonder how things will go if UT loses to UF Saturday --- I sure hope the coaches/players are ready for that game even with UFs bad record this year. I hate UF
We needa focus on Vandy first before we worry about Florida. Vandy may very well come into TBA and leave victorious. Hopefully we can find two wins in our remaining four games. That way were guaranteed not to have a losing season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We needa focus on Vandy first before we worry about Florida. Vandy may very well come into TBA and leave victorious. Hopefully we can find two wins in our remaining four games. That way were guaranteed not to have a losing season.

I agree. At this point in our juncture, we should be worrying about every opponent. There are no gimme wins for this team. Can't wait til Tyndall turns us into the Alabama/Saban of basketball. It's happening. :shades:

Reactions: 2 people
Stallings is 12-19 against UT while Donovan is 20-17 against UT so that is a good sign that UT will keep both games tight.

I agree. At this point in our juncture, we should be worrying about every opponent. There are no gimme wins for this team. Can't wait til Tyndall turns us into the Alabama/Saban of basketball. It's happening. :shades:

Ok I'll bite, what makes you think it's happening? Terrible recruiting, no post season, and a less than .500 winning percentage in the SEC. Is that what you are talking about that's happening? Because those are the facts.

Ok I'll bite, what makes you think it's happening? Terrible recruiting, no post season, and a less than .500 winning percentage in the SEC. Is that what you are talking about that's happening? Because those are the facts.

Not trying to hammer on CDT as his roster limitations are real and well documented for anyone who doesn't have an agenda. But, I'm not seeing Saban type of success in CDT's future. At this point CDT has never shown the ability to recruit top 100 type players which has been the key to Saban's success. I don't see CDT as having the charisma needed to attract those type of players either.

Maybe CDT can build a BB program similar to K State's or Boise State's FB programs where he coaches up less coveted talent to be competitive with the top programs? He does have his current roster playing much better than preseason expectations. With no PG and no post players they have done a respectable job this season.

Not trying to hammer on CDT as his roster limitations are real and well documented for anyone who doesn't have an agenda. But, I'm not seeing Saban type of success in CDT's future. At this point CDT has never shown the ability to recruit top 100 type players which has been the key to Saban's success. I don't see CDT as having the charisma needed to attract those type of players either.

Maybe CDT can build a BB program similar to K State's or Boise State's FB programs where he coaches up less coveted talent to be competitive with the top programs? He does have his current roster playing much better than preseason expectations. With no PG and no post players they have done a respectable job this season.

Saban was not reeling in the top 100 players during his time at Mich State. And bball recruiting is much different - one player literally can change a team's fortune.

Al Pinkins is about to land Kimani Jackson, the #2 junior college power forward, 6'8", 230 lb. He is a 247 composite 4* and a national composite 5* and the Crystal Ball has him 100% Tennessee.

Reactions: 5 people
Tony Basilio today:
Donnie Tyndall was a at New Mexico Junior College last night seeing a trio of guys that CC Hoops wrote about toward the end of last week. Two of the guys getting love last night are teammates while the other is perhaps the most coveted of the three. Tennessee is apparently set to put the hard press on at least two of the three guys they've been interested in from that one club alone. I expect Tennessee to sign 3 in the spring. If you're doing the math, that means the Vols will have to get creative or there's someone on the roster that doesn't figure to be there in a few months.

Kimani Jackson

Tony Basilio today:
Donnie Tyndall was a at New Mexico Junior College last night seeing a trio of guys that CC Hoops wrote about toward the end of last week. Two of the guys getting love last night are teammates while the other is perhaps the most coveted of the three. Tennessee is apparently set to put the hard press on at least two of the three guys they've been interested in from that one club alone. I expect Tennessee to sign 3 in the spring. If you're doing the math, that means the Vols will have to get creative or there's someone on the roster that doesn't figure to be there in a few months.

Kimani Jackson

So he's not "about to land him" as you stated. And he's not a 5 star.

Al Pinkins is about to land Kimani Jackson, the #2 junior college power forward, 6'8", 230 lb. He is a 247 composite 4* and a national composite 5* and the Crystal Ball has him 100% Tennessee.

Composite 5*?

Who has him rated as a 5*? The same site that has hundreds of 4 and 5 stars lol?

VN Store

Back