Vol schedule news?

@Ben_Fred: #Vols hoops nearing deal that will start its season against premier non-con opponent in event at Naval Academy

@Ben_Fred: #Vols hoops eying game w/ Butler, will host Big/12 SEC challenge in early Dec, will play in '16 Maui Invitational

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's Butler judging by his other tweet, but don't have the details. I hope it's not our actual season opener, we saw this year playing a cupcake first is a good idea lol.

The source also confirmed the following:

UT will participate in the Big 12/SEC Challenge this season. While the opponent has not yet been finalized, the game will be played at Thompson-Boling Arena on one of the following three dates: December 4, 5 or 6.

UT and Butler have engaged in talks about playing one another this season.

Reactions: 1 person
CDT ain't scurred to play the big dogs...sounds like another coach I know that was a coach here that upset a highly ranked Texas team his first year.

Reactions: 2 people
CDT ain't scurred to play the big dogs...sounds like another coach I know that was a coach here that upset a highly ranked Texas team his first year.
Hope not. could face Kansas or Michigan St in the Old Spice.
Could also reschedule Memphis this season.

Hope not. could face Kansas or Michigan St in the Old Spice.
Could also reschedule Memphis this season.

Not sure that Memphis will play us anytime soon. Tyndall was on Gary Parrish's radio show this afternoon and said that he wanted to talk to Josh about starting it back. But once it was over, Gary quickly said that is probably not happening. They don't want UT and now Tyndall to be visible there.

Not sure that Memphis will play us anytime soon. Tyndall was on Gary Parrish's radio show this afternoon and said that he wanted to talk to Josh about starting it back. But once it was over, Gary quickly said that is probably not happening. They don't want UT and now Tyndall to be visible there.

Especially with Pipkins in tow as an assistant.

Sissy tiger high

Cool:good!:
My son graduated the Naval Academy a few years ago.
Annapolis is a very nice area.
Fun will be had by all.

Especially with Pipkins in tow as an assistant.

Something happen since January, besides hiring a better promoter?
Ticket sales and program interest may have the last word.
Hoping Donnie is the salesman they say he is.

Cool:good!:
My son graduated the Naval Academy a few years ago.
Annapolis is a very nice area.
Fun will be had by all.

That's awesome news! I lived there a couple years in the late 90's and 2000, and you're absolutely right it's a great area. I will be in attendance!

Something happen since January, besides hiring a better promoter?
Ticket sales and program interest may have the last word.
Hoping Donnie is the salesman they say he is.

I'm not sure I follow where you're going. My comment was directed at the idea that Memphis will not play Tennessee because they don't want Tennessee visible in Memphis.

I agreed with VolGee on that idea, and added that it would seem especially true with Pipkins as an assistant now. He has made some inroads into Memphis high schools while at Ole Miss according to Galilee (from TOS).

I'm not sure I follow where you're going. My comment was directed at the idea that Memphis will not play Tennessee because they don't want Tennessee visible in Memphis.

I agreed with VolGee on that idea, and added that it would seem especially true with Pipkins as an assistant now. He has made some inroads into Memphis high schools while at Ole Miss according to Galilee (from TOS).
When you say they, are you referring to Pastner?
Last I read from reports in January, both schools had agreed in principle that renewing the rivalry was in the best interest of both schools.
Now unless Pastner has suddenly begun to walk on water in Memphis, I expect his fears of recruiting inroads may be short lived and over ridden. May not happen this season, but eventually.

When you say they, are you referring to Pastner?
Last I read from reports in January, both schools had agreed in principle that renewing the rivalry was in the best interest of both schools.
Now unless Pastner has suddenly begun to walk on water in Memphis, I expect his fears of recruiting inroads may be short lived and over ridden. May not happen this season, but eventually.

Pastner is likely towing the company line with his public comments if he "agrees" continuing the series is in the best interest of both programs. Sure, financially speaking, for the entire Memphis AD, it makes sense because they get that football money every other year which trumps basketball money 90% of the time. However, I'd say he personally would just as soon anything "UT" stay far and fast away from Memphis.

If Pastner is fired, the next coach will feel the same way most likely, just as Cal did before him.

VN Store

Back