Dave Hart on the Process!

SeniorDrill

"Same way I've done it my entire career. I know people in the basketball industry that I trust and respect, so I'll talk to them, then I'll reach out personally to candidates."

Reactions: 2 people
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CCM's tournament experience the only one in Hart's career as AD? If so, I don't have a lot of faith in hiring a basketball coach

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CCM's tournament experience the only one in Hart's career as AD? If so, I don't have a lot of faith in hiring a basketball coach

He will be just fine.

Is Volnation the only board you have experience with as a fan?

If so I see much relevance in your opinion regarding the experience or expertise of the AD regarding this hire.

Reactions: 1 person
He will be just fine.

If so I see much relevance in your opinion regarding the experience or expertise of the AD regarding this hire.

He might be, but based on his body of work, he has not made good choices hiring a basketball coach as an AD

Ok.....

What's the point of this thread?
Despite all the hype about White, he is not gonna hire the first person the media crowns as king of Tennessee basketball. Do you really think anybody knows what is going on after the Gruden - Strong nonsense?

He will be just fine.

So, is this poster's credibility increased with multiple board memberships? :)

Reactions: 3 people
I can't stop laughing at posters thinking Hart knows what he is doing after the embarrassment of the football coaching search with Strong and Gundy in particular. Tell me the even good basketball coach he hired when given the authority at East Carolina, Florida State and Bama in the past 25+ years?

We can only hope he gets lucky like he did with Butch.

Reactions: 4 people
He might be, but based on his body of work, he has not made good choices hiring a basketball coach as an AD

Really? Hires never rest solely on the shoulders of the AD.

Their recommendations don't always get approved either. A lot of other factors go into the process.

Basketball is not the only sport the AD has hiring recommendations for either and without knowing all the factors going into his hires the original statement is or would be speculation.

He has experience with CM Newton as a coach and was a Grad Asst under him I do believe might help.

He has been recognized several times for his overall prowess as an AD so I would speculate he might be a decent AD and know the ins and outs of the process. So why cast doubt, unless you know.

He has a great reputation so why cast doubt with a generalized statement.

I can't stop laughing at posters thinking Hart knows what he is doing after the embarrassment of the football coaching search with Strong and Gundy in particular. Tell me the even good basketball coach he hired when given the authority at East Carolina, Florida State and Bama in the past 25+ years?

We can only hope he gets lucky like he did with Butch.

We only know what the Media tells us we know.

Let's let this play out.

Last edited:
Despite all the hype about White, he is not gonna hire the first person the media crowns as king of Tennessee basketball. Do you really think anybody knows what is going on after the Gruden - Strong nonsense?

Might wanna do your homework on CM Newton, it would appear to shoot your theory down, and matches perfectly with Hart and his statement you posted.

Here it is if you haven't read it...

We haven't been able to confirm weather it was to interview a candidate or if it was to discuss candidates with someone in a kind of de facto search firm. Hart
has said in the past that while he doesn't use search firms, he does have some former colleagues and people that he trust in the business of athletics that he uses as a reference.

"Same way I've done it my entire career," Hart said Tuesday when asked how he would conduct his search. "I know people in the basketball industry that I trust and respect, so I'll talk to them, then I'll reach out personally to candidates."

One of those Hart has leaned on in the past is C.M. Newton, who happens to reside in Lexington.

CM Newton has been promoting White like no other, and thinks he's one of the best young coaches in the game, so that would add up.

Actually for you, I think you believe this holds out hope that your boy Byrd is still in play.

So, is this poster's credibility increased with multiple board memberships? :)

No, but you need to ask the original poster.

It would have been easier to just state "He is wrong" and move on, but it would be nice to know he could have done some research to know the answer before he asked the question.

Got to love the forum, people find reasons to justify their on agenda and just throw stuff against a wall to see what sticks without taking time to validate.

The facts are what validate or disavow the poster's creditability but people get upset when you tell them differently.

All I did was ask the same question and put the same validity he did into his own words regarding faith in Hart and hiring a Basketball coach.

Where is this coming from and who?

Last edited:
Gets me when folks blame Hart because he's not spending enough money to make a "homerun hire". Don't you think he would if he were allowed to?

Why don't all these posters that know better than AD Hart how and where to hire a coach just get in line and demand the chance.

You forgot about the Randy Shannon as D.C. non sense that the media was putting out..........

Here it is if you haven't read it...
CM Newton has been promoting White like no other, and thinks he's one of the best young coaches in the game, so that would add up.
Basketball Hall of Famer C.M. Newton urged Alabama fans to remain patient with fifth-year Crimson Tide coach Anthony Grant.

"We're all instant gratification, we all want the hurry-up fix," Newton said in a speech to the Birmingham Tip-Off Club today. "If we leave this guy alone, Anthony Grant, leave him alone for a couple years, he'll get it right. He's a damn good coach. He knows what it takes to win. If I were his AD, I would leave him alone simply because I can put my head on my pillow each night and go to sleep knowing he isn't going to cheat and he'll have good discipline in his program." Alabama is 11-16 overall and 5-9 in the SEC. Unless the Crimson Tide wins the SEC Tournament, Alabama will miss the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in Grant's five seasons. Grant, who makes $1.9 million annually, would be owed $5 million if he's fired next month.
C.M. Newton: Leave Anthony Grant alone and he'll 'get it right' at Alabama | AL.com

What's your point? That doesn't change that he and Hart have a close connection and Newton is pushing White?

Your OP points perfectly with Newton and Hart.

What's your point? That doesn't change that he and Hart have a close connection and Newton is pushing White?
Your OP points perfectly with Newton and Hart.

Alabama fans are furious in the fifth year of Anthony Grant's tenure with a 13-19 record, and missing the NCAA for the fourth time in 5 years, and CM Newton is saying give him two more years. I am sure that he was on Anthony Grant's band wagon when he was hired. He probably had a hand in that $5 million buyout, also! PS This is one of those $2 milllion a year coaches with a $5 million dollar buyout.

Alabama fans are furious in the fifth year of Anthony Grant's tenure with a 13-19 record, and missing the NCAA for the fourth time in 5 years, and CM Newton is saying give him two more years. I am sure that he was on Anthony Grant's band wagon when he was hired. He probably had a hand in that $5 million buyout, also! PS This is one of those $2 milllion a year coaches with a $5 million dollar buyout.

Who hired Grant?

I just wish D-Hart would spend some of that $800,000 salary on a good hair color job.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back