Iowa coach's son having surgery before game

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Credit to TOP for originally posting this earlier. That thread was derailed and ended up getting nuked, but the topic is worthy of discussion both from the perspective of the impact this may have on the Iowa team (players rallying around their coach during a very difficult time), and more importantly, so those here may send their prayers to this coach and his son, if anyone is inclined to do so.

Iowa Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery's son to have surgery hours before game - ESPN

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Most Iowa Hawkeyes fans will spend Wednesday morning debating the ins and outs of the team's first NCAA tournament game in eight years.

Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery will be in an Iowa City hospital with his son.

The highlight of McCaffery's professional career at Iowa has coincided with a serious family health issue. McCaffery's 13-year-old son, Patrick, will have surgery to remove a thyroid tumor just hours before Iowa (20-12) and fellow No. 11 seed Tennessee (21-12) tip off in a First Four game in Dayton, Ohio.

McCaffery said Sunday that he planned to fly to Dayton with his team, return to Iowa City for Patrick's surgery and go back to Ohio in time to coach against the Volunteers.

Reactions: 1 person
Makes you realize how unimportant the arguments we have on here really are, thanks for posting this Freak. Prayers to Coach McAffery and his family.

Prayers sent out to the coach and family. God be with the young man. This puts it all in the proper place, it's just a game.

Credit to TOP for originally posting this earlier. That thread was derailed and ended up getting nuked, but the topic is worthy of discussion both from the perspective of the impact this may have on the Iowa team (players rallying around their coach during a very difficult time), and more importantly, so those here may send their prayers to this coach and his son, if anyone is inclined to do so.

Iowa Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery's son to have surgery hours before game - ESPN

prayers for his son, and family

Prayers sent. May God give special skills to the surgeons. May God make a miracle happen for this young man and his family.

This is so much bigger than a game. Pray for the health if your son. That is all

Thoughts to McCaffery and his son. I've like Fran since his days at Siena College

Prayers for coach Fran, his son, and his family. There are much more important things in life than a basketball game. Having said that, GBO Good luck Coach Fran, God be with you!

Praying for successful surgery and quick healing to the young man. Coach, praying for your safe travels during this stessful time. May God Bless you and your family.

Go vols

My brother had surgery on his thyroid years and years ago. I want to say it was removed but is that possible? I'm not sure exactly what they did but his neck was all bandaged up after the surgery. He has to take pills for it now every day. Not the same as having a tumor. At least I don't think my brother had a tumor removed. My mom had a tumor on her lungs because she had lung cancer. It was in a spot where they couldn't remove it and she ended up passing away this past October(the 18th). Hopefully Fran's family and their son have better luck. Life sucks sometimes. I used to pray and believe and God but I'm not sure I do anymore. So, I'm just gonna hope for the best because I know how bad it sucks. My brother had to go to the doctor yesterday because he's been feeling dizzy, getting numbness in his hand and has lost a lot of weight. Now he has to wear something that monitors heart and they said he's lacking in nutrients. So... yesterday was pretty crappy too. I get what Fran's family is going through. Like I said, I hope they have better luck than I have in life. I mean, I was in a car wreck a little over 9 years ago that caused me to lose feeling below the waist and I wear leg braces because of it. It's no wonder I've stopped praying. Sorry to get off topic... the kids is just 13. Hopefully it's successful and he gets to enjoy a long life.

VN Store

Back