The Kentucky Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. An absolute beatdown. Winning by 30 wasn't even that close. That was the best played game by UT in the Cuonzo Martin Era. I know Noel was out. I'm don't think UK would have won anyways.

2. What I take most from this? UT smelled blood early, and went for the kill. They made sure UK was not coming back. UT extended their lead to 38 after being up by 24 at halftime. That's a huge, huge positive right there. I don't want to get hopes up. However, UT is looking like they have turned a corner. A three game winning streak is momentum, especially in this SEC.

3. UT won by 30, and Jarnell Stokes didn't have a double-double. Hell, he didn't even score double digit points. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Trae Golden. Mr. Golden played the best game of his career. A complete masterpiece from the point guard position that UT hasn't seen since C.J. Watson was roaming the campus as a student. He only had one turnover (on a five second inbounds call). He took smart shots. He took the ball to the hole and finished. His passes were crisp and he made the right decision every time. That should be put on a college basketball "How to run a team at the PG spot" video tape. A beautiful performance.

5. I don't think I've ever seen a John Calipari team struggle to get in the paint like they did today. UT did everything right on defense. They switched screens correctly. The help was right on time every time. They knew when to double team in the post. They contested every jump shot. Perfect defensive performance.

6. The decision to switch every Wiltjer on ball screen and then front him in the post was a brilliant call by Martin. It took Wiltjer and the UK offense out of rhythm. They looked lost. Great call.

7. I know it was mop up duty, but I still would try and get D'Montre Edwards some minutes. He was very aggressive in his action. It's probably nothing, but I might get him some minutes Tuesday night and see what happens.

8. Also, can we get Armani Moore some more scoring chances? I feel like anytime he drives the ball to the hole UT is going to get a bucket from it. He's very quick, especially his first step, and does a great job using his body to protect the ball, absorb contact, and hit the shot.

9. Josh Richardson looked fine and seemed like he could have gotten back in, but this team needs him. I was actually surprised UT continued to play so well without him. However, that's an aberration. They need Richardson.

10. No complaints. None. It was a beatdown that can't be described unless you watched the game. Kentucky gave up for the first time in the John Calipari Era. You could see it not only on the faces of the players, but on Calipari too. UT might not be an NCAA tourney team, but they played like one tonight, and if they bring that effort on defense and energy level for the rest of the year, they'll have a serious shot to make some noise to finish the season. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. Get out your favorite drink, sit back, and enjoy the day. It's not every day UT puts the biggest beat down in the series against Kentucky. Ah, what a great day to be a Vol.

Go Vols!!!! :hi:

Edit: I never do this, but thought this (from Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal, covers the Cats) was interesting:

Because of a couple guys, Calipari said, "even with Nerlens, we’d have gotten beat – big."

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 people
Golden having 3 straight good/great games makes me very optimistic. As trae goes we go, and if today was a sign of how he's gonna play the rest of the way we're in good shape.

Reactions: 4 people
#2. I can't remember the last time we played a complete game like this.

Yet again, Golden showed that UT usually goes as he goes. When he plays extremely well, UT is hard to beat.

A complete and total annihilation. The biggest win ever over Ky. For you youngsters, not even Bernard King could accomplish that even though his teams beat them plenty. Not Allan Houston, Howard Wood, Reggie Johnson, Michael Brooks, Tony White or Chris Lofton saw such a complete ass kicking.

So, Debbie Downers, Legion of the Miserables and the Vlasic Piss and Vinegar Pickle Club, try and find something negative about today. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I'm going to enjoy beating our primary rivals 3 out of 4 times this year and dominating both of them in the same week. We laid the wood to Candy's ass on Wed night and totally destroyed Ky today. Noel wouldn't have made up 30 points. I don't care what you smoke.

Cheers to UT. They came to play and kicked their asses.

Reactions: 9 people
2 road wins (decent wins) and then completely dismantle everything about Kensucky today. What a wonderful day! GBO!

Yet again, Golden showed that UT usually goes as he goes. When he plays extremely well, UT is hard to beat.

A complete and total annihilation. The biggest win ever over Ky. For you youngsters, not even Bernard King could accomplish that even though his teams beat them plenty. Not Allan Houston, Howard Wood, Reggie Johnson, Michael Brooks, Tony White or Chris Lofton saw such a complete ass kicking.

So, Debbie Downers, Legion of the Miserables and the Vlasic Piss and Vinegar Pickle Club, try and find something negative about today. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I'm going to enjoy beating our primary rivals 3 out of 4 times this year and dominating both of them in the same week. We laid the wood to Candy's ass on Wed night and totally destroyed Ky today. Noel wouldn't have made up 30 points. I don't care what you smoke.

Cheers to UT. They came to play and kicked their asses.
"noels didnt play" lmao

Although he was 3-5 from the free throw line today Stokes' free throw shooting has become SO much more consistent. Since the first Vandy game Jarnell has shot nearly 70% from the line. That is something I love to see.

Loved the game. Go Vols keep playing like this and you'll have a chance to win every game left on your schedule.

Willie Cauley-Stein

☆TheFr3shPrinc3☆‏@WCS15timefor9

We have really good fake fans!! For all the real ones out there please stay behind us we still can change this around #havefaith

VN Store

Back