If B Pearl is not fired at the end of season

Neyland2nd2none

Are we setting ourselves up to get punished harder? Kinda like when USC hired cheater Lane, I think the NCAA took that as a slap in the face. Are we better off washing our hands clean of BP in the NCAA's eyes?
Also, with this J Tressel stuff blowing up now, do you guys think that situation will have any effect on BP's punishment? I may be wrong but it seems like OSU always gets off with a slap on the wrist. If the NCAA tries to "slap Tressel on the wrist", I would think BP's punishment just got a lot lighter. Surely the NCAA will have to compare the two cases going off what they know with OSU before UT's June 10-11 meetings. IMO, what JT has done is far, far worse than what BP did.
I'd love to hear what you guys think. Things are about to get ugly. The NCAA is coming off the Cam Newton bs, the OSU Sugar Bowl bs, B Pearl bs, now Oregon recruiting practices & this Tressel mess.
Get your popcorn ready...it's gonna be interesting to watch it all unfold

The major difference with Pearl and all the other examples is his lying to the NCAA. Tressel, as far as we know, did not lie. It would be best for UT and Pearl for him to gracefully step aside at the end of the season. No question, it would lessen the sanctions that are forthcoming from the NCAA. Pearl could land a job on ESPN for two or three years and then return to coaching somewhere. We could start moving forward with the basketball program and not waste two to three years of very bad recruiting and get the program to an Auburn level before we start moving forward again. Don't know that this will happen, but it would be best for all concerned. It will be very dangerous for the program to try to keep Pearl and hope that the sanctions don't include a two year ban. If that happens, we have no chance of hiring a decent coach in October.

I doubt he will leave... but I just have a hard time thinking we don't go backwards after Pearl.... look at the SEC as a whole.... is it really an attractive job to be in the SEC? Ya Pearl has brought in great things.... but my god were we awful pretty much consistently with a small glimmer pretty much dating all the way from Erin & Bernie show up until the Pearl era... so getting rid of Pearl may get the negativity of the NCAA sanctions and the whole Pearl saga.... but I for one think we will go backwards as soon as he is out the door if that's the case....

I doubt he will leave... but I just have a hard time thinking we don't go backwards after Pearl.... look at the SEC as a whole.... is it really an attractive job to be in the SEC? Ya Pearl has brought in great things.... but my god were we awful pretty much consistently with a small glimmer pretty much dating all the way from Erin & Bernie show up until the Pearl era... so getting rid of Pearl may get the negativity of the NCAA sanctions and the whole Pearl saga.... but I for one think we will go backwards as soon as he is out the door if that's the case....

I agree we go backwards, no doubt but are we gonna get hit harder if we keep him? Does Kiffin to USC & Tressel mess have any impact on punishment if BP is still here?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We have a better chance of not going too far backwards if Pearl leaves. We are going backwards in the short term regardless of the outcome.

I agree we go backwards, no doubt but are we gonna get hit harder if we keep him? Does Kiffin to USC & Tressel mess have any impact on punishment if BP is still here?

No way to really know.... it seems as though the NCAA might punish the coach more than the institution because of coaches changing jobs as they do now... but who knows.... the institution could be the one thats hammered and not the coach

We have a better chance of not going too far backwards if Pearl leaves. We are going backwards in the short term regardless of the outcome.

Agreed. But who in the world is lining up for the UT job? I mean I am an alum and very proud of my school. But, is UT a destination job? I think if you polled current coaches.... there is a lot more that would say No than Yes. The fact is what Pearl has achieved at UT he has made it a much more attractive job. So, it could be debated for a long, long, time. But, I am much more afraid we get another Buzz, Oniel, or Green, who does a little.... but not really anything that is that great. I just don't see a big time marquee coach making the leap to UT right now.

The major difference with Pearl and all the other examples is his lying to the NCAA. Tressel, as far as we know, did not lie. It would be best for UT and Pearl for him to gracefully step aside at the end of the season. No question, it would lessen the sanctions that are forthcoming from the NCAA. Pearl could land a job on ESPN for two or three years and then return to coaching somewhere. We could start moving forward with the basketball program and not waste two to three years of very bad recruiting and get the program to an Auburn level before we start moving forward again. Don't know that this will happen, but it would be best for all concerned. It will be very dangerous for the program to try to keep Pearl and hope that the sanctions don't include a two year ban. If that happens, we have no chance of hiring a decent coach in October.
Posted via VolNation Mobile So u see a big difference in not telling the ncaa the truth then admittingly u lied later and getting caught and admitting a violation but not being fully open about what took place? Seems pretty darn similar to me. Are the people on bruce gonna spin this differently?

Last edited:
Why not? We have facilities that match or exceed anyone. We are paying at an elite level. Why would a good coach not want to come to UT? We are in a conference that a good coach knows they can win big in. I see absolutely no reason why we could not attract a top level coach who could exceed what Pearl has done.

Why not? We have facilities that match or exceed anyone. We are paying at an elite level. Why would a good coach not want to come to UT? We are in a conference that a good coach knows they can win big in. I see absolutely no reason why we could not attract a top level coach who could exceed what Pearl has done.

We have one of the best facilities in college football and that didnt seem to matter to the other coaches we offered before dooley. Elite coaches are already coaching at elite programs. So why would they leave? KY is the only school in the sec that could pull an elite coach from another elite school in BB. Its just the way it is.

We have one of the best facilities in college football and that didnt seem to matter to the other coaches we offered before dooley. Elite coaches are already coaching at elite programs. So why would they leave? KY is the only school in the sec that could pull an elite coach from another elite school in BB. Its just the way it is.
Totally agree and this is one of the arguments that people that want pearl gone ignore. Can we get another good coach? I would like to think so at some point but its not as cut and dried as some make it sound.

Facilities and perks had nothing to do with the Dooley hiring. Timing sucked.

Facilities and perks had nothing to do with the Dooley hiring. Timing sucked.

So the timing of getting muschamp here was bad? Pretty sure he accepted the fla position around the same time give or take a few weeks.

So the timing of getting muschamp here was bad? Pretty sure he accepted the fla position around the same time give or take a few weeks.

Compare the rosters. Couple that with timing and you have a job that people are not going to jump at. It's not rocket science.

Furthermore, a couple weeks is huge with recruiting.

Compare the rosters. Couple that with timing and you have a job that people are not going to jump at. It's not rocket science.

Throw in demands by an AD that certain assistant coaches have to stay on and it's not even first grade math.

I would just wish this topic would go away and die, this is getting old!!!! :banghead2:

I may be wrong( I usually am) but I think Pearl is gone at the end of the season on his own accord. Some small scholl may pick him up with the show-cause hanging over him, but I can't see a major university picking him up for at least five years. I think, IMHO, he stayed to coach Steven through his senior year and thats why no contract is forthcoming.

Tressel signed a letter from the 'AA in December stating that he gave them all the info that he knew, which we know now, is not the case. So, technically, he did lie to the 'AA.

VN Store

Back