3032 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Huge loss for vandy/Gain for Vols Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. While this is a HUGE loss for our program, it's not that big of a loss in recruiting. We lost ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

While this is a HUGE loss for our program, it's not that big of a loss in recruiting. We lost our best recruiter in Josh Holliday who is now the head baseball coach at Oklahoma State. But we bounced back from him leaving and hired Coach Jewett from Arizona State.

We will lose in the development of our pitchers. I saw some post an interesting stat....since 2001 there have been 6 pitchers taken in the first round that went to vandy:

Jeremy Sowers
David Price
Casey Weathers
Mike Minor
Sonny Gray
Grayson Garvin

Out of those 6, only 1 was a first round pick out of HS(sowers). So it speaks volumes about his coaching which will be missed moreso than his recruiting.

I wish DJ the best of luck but Theo and the Cubs can go f themselves
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

By the way...losing one coach isn't going to make up that much ground.

We are still in elite status in eyes of the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallingsBaldSpot View Post
By the way...losing one coach isn't going to make up that much ground.

We are still in elite status in eyes of the rest of the country.
The only status you have is the award for biggest underachieving program! Elite programs go to Omaha more than once.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
The only status you have is the award for biggest underachieving program! Elite programs go to Omaha more than once.
Is that why all the pundits like Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers have deemed Vanderbilt and elite program?

We still have Tim Corbin last I checked.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Is that why all the pundits like Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers have deemed Vanderbilt and elite program?

We still have Tim Corbin last I checked.
List the other programs you consider to be elite?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
This! A one time trip to the CWS (without a title to boot) does not make you elite. Return trips with titles (see S. Carolina) makes you elite. Try again Vandy. More "Anchor Down" instead of "Anchors Away"???
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
While this is a HUGE loss for our program, it's not that big of a loss in recruiting. We lost our best recruiter in Josh Holliday who is now the head baseball coach at Oklahoma State. But we bounced back from him leaving and hired Coach Jewett from Arizona State.

We will lose in the development of our pitchers. I saw some post an interesting stat....since 2001 there have been 6 pitchers taken in the first round that went to vandy:

Jeremy Sowers
David Price
Casey Weathers
Mike Minor
Sonny Gray
Grayson Garvin

Out of those 6, only 1 was a first round pick out of HS(sowers). So it speaks volumes about his coaching which will be missed moreso than his recruiting.

I wish DJ the best of luck but Theo and the Cubs can go f themselves
I am not going to argue whether or not you're elite. There are no doubts in my mind that Vandy is an elite baseball program. They haven't been there long, and it shows in their lone trip to Omaha, but this game isn't easy. It shows.

That being said, losing DJ hurts massively in recruiting. Its not the direct recruiting effect that's going on. DJ has a seal of approval. I cannot think of a pitcher that has lost draft stock under DJ. HS pitchers know that. His ability as a coach, not as a recruiter is the reason for the great success in recruiting, specifically of pitchers. Tim Corbin is and always has been the best recruiter on that staff (maybe Bakich) but the best recruiting TOOL has always been DJ, without question. You are now just another school, no longer Pitcher University.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange51 View Post
I am not going to argue whether or not you're elite. There are no doubts in my mind that Vandy is an elite baseball program. They haven't been there long, and it shows in their lone trip to Omaha, but this game isn't easy. It shows.

That being said, losing DJ hurts massively in recruiting. Its not the direct recruiting effect that's going on. DJ has a seal of approval. I cannot think of a pitcher that has lost draft stock under DJ. HS pitchers know that. His ability as a coach, not as a recruiter is the reason for the great success in recruiting, specifically of pitchers. Tim Corbin is and always has been the best recruiter on that staff (maybe Bakich) but the best recruiting TOOL has always been DJ, without question. You are now just another school, no longer Pitcher University.
Navery moore disagrees with your statement about no pitchers losing their draft value. Other than that, great post!!! They do have elite talent without a doubt but elite programs get results. They haven't
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Navery moore disagrees with your statement about no pitchers losing their draft value. Other than that, great post!!! They do have elite talent without a doubt but elite programs get results. They haven't
Navery Moore also had ACL surgery and hurt his arm when he went against the coaching staff's wants. Good post though about nothing
Nashvegas is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange51 View Post

I think this is a fair assessment. This is a huge blow to our program but I have faith in Corbin in that he will make a slam dunk hire. You can't fully replace a Derek Johnson into opinion. You can only do your best to soften the blow and fill it the best of your ability.

As for the final statement, I'm not sure we were ever regarded as pitcher university.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

I believe Vandy is ranked #1 in recruiting at the moment. Hopefully they will take a hit. We desperately need pitching.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
You've also got to remember where this program was in 2001 when DJ got here and the year before Corbin arrived. The program was crap. Hawkins Field, was crap. Now the program is regarded as one of the best in the country and Hawkins Field is a very nice place to watch a game(albeit not the largest, nor does it need to be).

I do think Vandy is elite. Does it belong in the conversation with South Carolina and Florida? Probably not. As for our Omaha year, Florida just had our number. Go look at that year. Florida takes 2 of 3 from us, in Nashville. Causing a 3 way champions with UF, SC, and VU. They beat us 5-0 in the SEC championship game. And them beat us twice in Omaha. Vanderbilt could have beat any other program that year in Omaha but for some reason Vanderbilt could not beat Florida. They were just better.

I think we are on the cusp of being perennial visitors to Omaha and DJ leaving for the pros will certainly hurt us in our trek to the top.

I do not want to bicker with you guys. I want to be cordial and polite because I recognize that I am in enemy territory.

Lastly, BruinVol? Did you go to Belmont?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

DS hasnt brought in any power arms at UT. He's not going to win bringing in cunny thumbers who top out at 86. Our pitching staff was anything but impressive this fall in the scrimmages. What do the upper eschelon SEC teams have in common??? POWER ARMS.... If he could recruit the arms that Vandy has been getting, the Vols will be back soon.... if not we will be a 5-8 team year in year out in the conference.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Vomit Free Since 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite1 View Post
DS hasnt brought in any power arms at UT. He's not going to win bringing in cunny thumbers who top out at 86. Our pitching staff was anything but impressive this fall in the scrimmages. What do the upper eschelon SEC teams have in common??? POWER ARMS.... If he could recruit the arms that Vandy has been getting, the Vols will be back soon.... if not we will be a 5-8 team year in year out in the conference.
How about we give him more than one recruiting class before making judgments like that.

And go tell Michael Roth that you need power arms to succeed in the SEC.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite1 View Post
I agree with you. The initial reports seem to show an emphasis away from the power arms and that is very risky. If that is the approach I agree that success in the SEC is unlikely. Time will tell and we should be willing to give DS plenty
Reply With Quote TOP