• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Cheridene Green

mlindsay

Per Maria M. Cornelius 6'3" JuCo post Cheridene Green is in Knoxville for a visit today! Anyone have any insight on how interested she is in our program? I know the visit is the first step and she would be a huge pick up as we would have her for 2 seasons (This would allow Harris to really develop her first season and play more her second season as Green would be a Senior) this also should hurt us with post in the 2017 class. Thoughts anyone?

Per Maria M. Cornelius 6'3" JuCo post Cheridene Green is in Knoxville for a visit today! Anyone have any insight on how interested she is in our program? I know the visit is the first step and she would be a huge pick up as we would have her for 2 seasons (This would allow Harris to really develop her first season and play more her second season as Green would be a Senior) this also should hurt us with post in the 2017 class. Thoughts anyone?

You may need to consider what we're losing at the end of this next season ml... potentially Carter, Reynolds and Jones. Two guards and a forward. . . We are pretty solid at mid-sized posts (less than 6'4") and in need of shooters and set-up guards to fill those spots.

The only posts I would go after now would be established 6'5''s or over who are paint-patrollers. Otherwise, i am going for 3-pt gunners and setup guards. We already have Nunn to give Harris the developing time,right?

Reactions: 1 person

Too much 6'3 players is not good because most top teams there have big bodies like 6'4, 6'5, 6'6.. Unless Holly is looking into a 6'3 who can also play outside that would be perfect.

You may need to consider what we're losing at the end of this next season ml... potentially Carter, Reynolds and Jones. Two guards and a forward. . . We are pretty solid at mid-sized posts (less than 6'4") and in need of shooters and set-up guards to fill those spots.

The only posts I would go after now would be established 6'5''s or over who are paint-patrollers. Otherwise, i am going for 3-pt gunners and setup guards. We already have Nunn to give Harris the developing time,right?
I am 100% wt u.

She played on England's Olympic team. She has awesome numbers as a JC player something like 22 ppg and 17 rebounds. I thought she had suffered an ACL injury and would be out a season. She is a fabulous player who would help immediately.

I think so but at the same time Green can play right away and averaged a double double both of her JUCO seasons. After next season we lose Carter and Reynolds, (and possibly Russell should she have a monster year and decide to leave early for the draft) Jones already left this season. You would go into 2017 with Harris and whoever your 2017 recruiting Post is. I would rather have another insurance piece just in case as we see our last 3 star recruit (Moore) didn't really see the floor until her Junior season. I agree the need for Guard help/potentially scoring guards but I can't pass on a double double machines for 2 seasons when I don't know if I will land any one in 2017

She'll have surgery this summer. Won't play until fall 2017.

She would still be a huge pickup as no one know what Mercedes will do after this season. If we sign any post players they will be freshmen and Harris only a soph. She is an experienced player with Olympic National team experience that could help immediately next season.

Reactions: 2 people
She would still be a huge pickup as no one know what Mercedes will do after this season. If we sign any post players they will be freshmen and Harris only a soph. She is an experienced player with Olympic National team experience that could help immediately next season.

Those are my thoughts Volfan! I think by us still going after her even with the injury will be a plus for her and if we should miss on a key post this year we would have her returning for 2 seasons!

You can get by without 6'5" and above if you run a transition/motion offense and switch up the D with zones as needed. Just make sure you have a big body on the opponent's taller C and double down as necessary. Two 6'3" players around the paint will grab enough of the boards.

A lot of posts put up big numbers in high school and JC simply because they are bigger than everyone else. Once they get to a quality D-I program, they get a wake up call because the competition is just as big, but often more talented. It takes posts a lot longer to adjust to D-I basketball than it does for guards. Some big girls never make the adjustment, so it is best to curb one's enthusiasm until the player has had a chance to adapt to the speed and physicality of the D-I game.

Reactions: 3 people
If she has talent and has scoring potential, you take her. Hoya is right about JC and HS players putting up big numbers but showing little when they jump up in class. That's why talent evaluation is very important.

If she has talent and has scoring potential, you take her. Hoya is right about JC and HS players putting up big numbers but showing little when they jump up in class. That's why talent evaluation is very important.

True, but when you choose right, you get Evelyn Akhator.

Reactions: 2 people
Too much 6'3 players is not good because most top teams there have big bodies like 6'4, 6'5, 6'6.. Unless Holly is looking into a 6'3 who can also play outside that would be perfect.

The right 6'3 player makes those extra 2-3 inches less important. Kiah Stokes from UConn was 6'3, but could shut down the paint and played bigger than she is. Harris looks like a similar build, and she could be developed to play that kind of role on the defensive side even if she's "only" 6'3.

I assume for the torn ACL that was mentioned before.

That is something that used to be death, but is now almost a formality. That's good to know...And I agree that a 6'4" post can get the job done, as proven by Graves consistent double double. i just know she was only a scorer on the drive or at the elbow. I guess when I consider my offensive set up, I like a true Center and a true PF... I am somewhat 50-50 when it come to combo players. I can more so take them in the post more than I like them as a set-up guard. (example: I would totally pass an that kid at Kentucky. I am sure that her non-distribution in lieu of shooting first and driving first was instrumental in the KY breakup. I know as a player I want my hard work in the post rewarded. Often watching that team this past year you could see the heads drop from the interior as they were passed up in lieu of Epps numbers)... But if it is a post and they understand positioning and timing on the box-outs and are able to finish a face-up instead of relying totally on "first-step or jumpers from the elbow as their offense, and can finish a face-up I am on board.

The right 6'3 player makes those extra 2-3 inches less important. Kiah Stokes from UConn was 6'3, but could shut down the paint and played bigger than she is. Harris looks like a similar build, and she could be developed to play that kind of role on the defensive side even if she's "only" 6'3.

The thing I push hardest for in my teams is "off the ball defense... I will sub you in a heartbeat if you "let" your assignment get the ball and THEN play defense.

Kia was excellent in this,She bodied up and kept taller players from ever reaching their comfort-zone inside game. You can play a heck of a lot harder and MUCH more physical off the ball, because the refs are taught for two of them to watch the ball area and one to scan the floor. One watches the upper area of the ball vicinity and one keeps eye on the out-of-bounds and footwork when the ball is in offensive traffic. It is usually the furthest stripe from the ball that watches the floor. And if the defender is playing low-body in her bodying-up, they will often totally ignore physicality on defense.

Morgan Tuck is what 6'2 and shut down Alaina Coates.

This is one of the things that Geno does that most don't... He won't stand for lazy off-the-ball defense. This has been something I pushed in Atlanta with the Pistols. Defense is about not letting your assignment get the ball and then keeping them from doing something with it after a reception! It's about denial from them ever getting the open catch... My other pet peeve is not closing-out, when your girl picks up her dribble... I see this now. A player picks up their dribble and the defender takes a step back to guard the passing lanes instead of closing out the immobile player. When a dribbler picks up her dribble, I better not be able to slide a piece of paper between you and her. This will cause even good offensive players to jettison the ball just to get you off of them.

One thing I tell my players form the gitgo,"Put your hands on your assignment the moment you step in for the opening ball-toss. Establish that you are going to be physical from the gitgo"... This is a mental thing. If you are invading their space form the opening tip, you have established from even before the game, that you are not just playing a game, you are WORKING!

Last edited:

"this also should hurt us with post in the 2017 class"

You might be onto something. We might be hurting while I type this. What do we know about what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe the 2017 and 2018 post players we were recruiting already said NO to Holly?

VN Store

Back