Basketball Recruiting Discussion II

Both are legit Top 50 caliber players, Gantt probably has the more refined game at this point but Walker makes up for it with his motor/effort.

Yeah, hence why I'm totally fine with getting either of those guys. I just like Gantt's versatility a little more, but Walker is exceptional.

Fair or not, and most people won't admit it, but they set different standards for different coaches depending on much they approve of the coach.

For example, you were far more forgiving of Zo and Barnes than you were of Tyndall. Ziti is far more forgiving of Pearl than he is Barnes.

We are far too quick to develop a love/hate relationship with coaches too quickly, at times. We decide we love them or hate them too soon, and we are stubborn to a fault, and don't like admitting when we are wrong.

I would suggest this is more closely associated with recent trends than the coach.

If a coach leads you to 3 straight S16’s and then leaves for another school, you are going to expect the same from the guy that comes in after him regardless of what his history suggests. If your team hasn’t made a tournament in years and you hire a coach that won a title last year, you aren’t going to be disappointed with a first round ousting. Recent events determine expectations much more so than a coach.

I would suggest this is more closely associated with recent trends than the coach.

If a coach leads you to 3 straight S16’s and then leaves for another school, you are going to expect the same from the guy that comes in after him regardless of what his history suggests. If your team hasn’t made a tournament in years and you hire a coach that won a title last year, you aren’t going to be disappointed with a first round ousting. Recent events determine expectations much more so than a coach.

I think they generally work in harmony, but if you don’t approve of a coaching hire, that coach is not likely to get much slack from you, and vice versa, if you really like a hire, you’ll give him a pass as he gets his feet wet.

It’s not really a relevant parallel to our recent history anyhow given that we haven’t lost coaches to better jobs. We’ve fired 2 of them and the other left because he was resetting his clock under the guise of a racist environment.

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder is Simons is regretting not coming here. He may not be a first round pick. He should have played a year and shot for the lottery.

Never seen a kid look more disinterested on his visit. Literally looked like he was watching pbs while watching us beat Kentucky in a great game. His family was all in but he was on another planet.

Never seen a kid look more disinterested on his visit. Literally looked like he was watching pbs while watching us beat Kentucky in a great game. His family was all in but he was on another planet.

Yep, he was thinking about that NBA money.

I think next year's draft is going to be weaker than this year's.

Yeah. Can't fault a kid for trying to get paid. Think he should have waited though.

I think a year of development and a good showing could have made him a lottery pick. He could have really set himself up well for the future with a guaranteed contract as a first round pick.

Yeah. Can't fault a kid for trying to get paid. Think he should have waited though.

I think a year of development and a good showing could have made him a lottery pick. He could have really set himself up well for the future with a guaranteed contract as a first round pick.

Didn’t have smart people around him. 17 year old wanted to go pro and that’s what is happening.

Not the dumbest move I’ve ever seen though. He could bust out completely or he could go bonkers in the NBA. Doesn’t have anything to fall back on though.

Didn’t have smart people around him. 17 year old wanted to go pro and that’s what is happening.

Not the dumbest move I’ve ever seen though. He could bust out completely or he could go bonkers in the NBA. Doesn’t have anything to fall back on though.

I was saying this when he picked and people acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. He should have tried to improve to a lotto pick by playing a year.

VN Store

Back