O &W game concerns

I think it is a preemptive coping mechanism for some to say that kind of stuff.

I agree.

I don't expect us to be good next year either, but to say that there is none, or very little, talent on this roster is just inaccurate. Pruitt is inheriting much more talent than Dooley or Butch did. The depth is lacking at some position groups, but there are good frontline guys on this team. You couldn't say that about the rosters Dooley and Butch inherited, with very limited exceptions.

That's what makes the last few years of Tennessee football so disappointing - they are supposed to be good. They are good on paper. Several guys on the O and D-lines were very highly recruited. Could have gone almost anywhere. Couldn't say that about Dooley and Butch's teams, and the equivalency between those rosters and this roster needs to stop. Dooley was starting walk-ons on the O-line, for example.

Reactions: 1 person
One of the biggest concerns ( which it was several) was the punting. To me our punting game looked bad. I think we are really going to miss Trevor Daniel. He could change field position with his punting and we know special teams is a big part of a game.

A couple of 50 yarders with what seemed to be fairly good hang time after the kickers settled in made me feel better,at least after that first 25-30 yard whiff. Field goal kicking won't show it's face until the chips are down.

As for trying to compare these or any kickers to Daniel, well not many come along that can compare. He was t as good as we have had in a long time.

Daniel was a tremendous punter, no doubt. However, I can think of many ex-Vol punters that made it in the NFL. Ron Widby, Herman Weaver, Jimmy, Craig, Dustin, and Britton Colquitt, Matt Darr, and Michael Palardy. I have probably forgotten somebody.

Ron Widby comes to mind anytime I it try to compare our current punter to the best.

Not many on this site are old enough to remember him. But, lord, he could kick the ball as high and long as anyone I have ever seen. (including the great Guy) I swear sitting high up in the stadium, you had to look way up to follow the ball's flight.

I agree.

I don't expect us to be good next year either, but to say that there is none, or very little, talent on this roster is just inaccurate. Pruitt is inheriting much more talent than Dooley or Butch did. The depth is lacking at some position groups, but there are good frontline guys on this team. You couldn't say that about the rosters Dooley and Butch inherited, with very limited exceptions.

That's what makes the last few years of Tennessee football so disappointing - they are supposed to be good. They are good on paper. Several guys on the O and D-lines were very highly recruited. Could have gone almost anywhere. Couldn't say that about Dooley and Butch's teams, and the equivalency between those rosters and this roster needs to stop. Dooley was starting walk-ons on the O-line, for example.

All true. But to look a bit further, they weren't facing a very strong east. Right now, the east is becoming a force to be reckoned with and we have been left behind. This makes his job as tough and likely tougher than either of those last guys.

Last edited:
I agree the punting was poor. Which is what makes it strange our field goal kicker looked so good.

If I were Pruitt I would send a recruiter on an all expenses paid vacation to Australia to find an Australian rules rugby player. Those guys make the best punters. They can get rid of the ball quickly and just kill it for distance.

Yea, that's what we need, another foreigner taking the place of a kid from this country, who is entitled to that scolly if for no other reason than taxpayer money pays for him to be at a state school.
Now don't start telling me he "pays his way" playing football. An american kid would do the same. The idea that some players in sports are playing to maybe go on to be pros, leads me to want only american kids taking these few spots in sports programs. I for one, am tired of training foreigners in our systems, (usually the best their country has to offer) then watching them beat hell out of us in international competitions. Maybe that american kid that had to stand aside for them could have been developed into the american to be the best pro or international star.....

That was truly an unexpected response to that post. I personally have no issue at all giving an Aussie the job if he can kick the snot out of the ball.

Reactions: 4 people
No one stood out to me other than JG. I think he’s still holding the ball too long, but other than that he looked pretty good.

It was a pretty vanilla game, and quite possibly one of the least exciting ones I’ve attended. It was hard to tell who was executing and who wasn’t.

All true. But to look a bit further, they weren't facing a very strong east. Right now, the east is becoming a force to be reckoned with and we have been left behind. This makes his job as tough and likely tougher than either of those last guys.

Eh, Georgia is a force to be reckoned with. None of the other East teams, at the moment, aren't particularly good.

The East was so weak that one team was going to fill the void at some point.

Yea, that's what we need, another foreigner taking the place of a kid from this country, who is entitled to that scolly if for no other reason than taxpayer money pays for him to be at a state school.
Now don't start telling me he "pays his way" playing football. An american kid would do the same. The idea that some players in sports are playing to maybe go on to be pros, leads me to want only american kids taking these few spots in sports programs. I for one, am tired of training foreigners in our systems, (usually the best their country has to offer) then watching them beat hell out of us in international competitions. Maybe that american kid that had to stand aside for them could have been developed into the american to be the best pro or international star.....
Recruit the best player you can recruit for every position. I don't care if he is from Tennessee or the moon.

I think we get three or four more grad transfers and get the injured players back we could be a decent football team. Pruitt plugging the holes and eliminating the dead weight we will be the best we can be with what we have next season.

Eh, Georgia is a force to be reckoned with. None of the other East teams, at the moment, aren't particularly good.

The East was so weak that one team was going to fill the void at some point.
You can thank Nick Saban for that. You can thank him for weakening the SEC in general. Good for him and Alabubba, bad for the conference.

Looking back at Dormady last year; take spring games with a grain of salt. On the other hand I was at tho 01 game where Clausen didn't look particularly good, and look at what he did that year.

The biggest concern, according to Pruitt:

Neyland-Stadium-Tour-3_abc15514-5056-a348-3a824d887345e5a7.jpg

looks like you showed up on a sunday?

guys...we're not going to be that good this year. we all know this. it's going to be ok.

Tennessee fans are tired of getting there azz kicked by the elite teams and are tired of hearing it will take 2 or 3 year's, we have heard this hit from 4 coaches in the past 10 years and about 50 percent of the fans don't think a DC is the man to lead us to the top, and if he is not then here goes 3 or 4 more wasted years of football, i have stuck behind the football program with all these coaches and will with JP, BUT THE FANS FIND IT HARD TO GET FIRED UP, about the program when the fan base is split.:thud:

I think we get three or four more grad transfers and get the injured players back we could be a decent football team. Pruitt plugging the holes and eliminating the dead weight we will be the best we can be with what we have next season.

Maybe what a 5 win team, hard sell to the elite recruits winning 4 and 5 games in a 2 year span, now if a elite recruit won't early playing time then we got a good shot at landing him now if its Championships he won't we don't have a punchers shot.:thud: Think about it these top recruits, all they have seen here at Tennessee sense they were 10 and 11 years old is DD and Butch Jones leading the Tennessee football program and punch line for Jokes, 2 of the worst coaches in the country so why would they even look at us, JP got to show he can coach not just talk the talk, but back it up.:clapping:

Last edited:
One of the biggest concerns ( which it was several) was the punting. To me our punting game looked bad. I think we are really going to miss Trevor Daniel. He could change field position with his punting and we know special teams is a big part of a game.

If punting is our biggest concern, we will be fine. There were no bombs, but no shanks either. My biggest concern is the quarterback position. While Guarantano had some nice throws, he also held the ball to long many times and would have been leveled had that been a real game. McBride was one of those Pruitt could have been referring to that didn't show up to play.

I agree.

Who were the walk ons Dooley started on the O Line.. I remember it differently. Ja'Waun James, Tiny Richardson, James Stone, Zach Fulton, Dallas Thomas to name a few... I remember many sports outlets had Tennessee OL billed as one of the best in the nation. Just curious.

I remember the Notre Dame game at Neyland Stadium. Coach Majors told the fans to show up early and be loud. Well, the place was packed and roaring, way before kickoff. Volunteers whipped the Irish up one side of the field and down the other. ND had one penalty taken on a kickoff, and our kicker put the ball through the goal posts, like a field goal.

General Neyland disagrees
Gave you a like for that one. I'm just dreaming big; I'd love an offense that never has to give a punter a chance to show his skill set. I'd prefer a score every single time the O gets the ball. :rock:

VN Store

Back