D4H's 2018 NFL Season Preview

Bengals are FAR from a playoff team. That defense has some key components but are not complete by any stretch and the Chiefs showed everyone who the real playoff team was last night. That is an elite offense. Probably looking at a Rams/Chiefs Superbowl at this point.

Don't let one game fool you. Blake Bortles is AWFUL. We have lots of evidence of this. Just because he has one good game doesn't excuse his history of ineptitude.

There are at least 30 other QBs you could put on that Jags team and they would look much better than Blake Bortles.

Jacksonville has a Super Bowl caliber roster. If they don't win it all, it'll be because of Blake Bortles.

So by your 'logic' Blake Bortles is the only reason that Jacksonville is losing games, but Josh Allen is still a superstar, even though the Bills are last in PPG at 11.6, total yards, and passing yards, and relegated themselves to signing a washed up Derek Anderson to QB the rest of their meltdown?

So by your 'logic' Blake Bortles is the only reason that Jacksonville is losing games, but Josh Allen is still a superstar, even though the Bills are last in PPG at 11.6, total yards, and passing yards, and relegated themselves to signing a washed up Derek Anderson to QB the rest of their meltdown?

First of all, Josh Allen is a rookie. I never said he was a superstar this year. I only said he would become a superstar. And judging by your post, you seem to be unaware that Josh Allen is hurt. They signed Derek Anderson to mentor Allen. He's only starting because Josh Allen is currently injured.

When Josh Allen was healthy, the Bills were 2-3 and looked like a competitve team. In the games he's missed (Ravens & Colts) they have looked like a laughing stock. Its obvious that they are much better with Josh Allen than without him. But nonetheless, that team lacks talent right now. Especially on the offensive line and at WR.

Hopefully they sit Josh Allen for the rest of the year. They need to get the 1st overall pick in the draft so they can trade it for a boatload of picks to fix the holes in their roster.

They didn't sign Anderson to "mentor" Allen. They signed Anderson to stop the bleeding. As idiotic as the Bills are, they know Anderson has no business mentoring anybody.

First of all, Josh Allen is a rookie. I never said he was a superstar this year. I only said he would become a superstar. And judging by your post, you seem to be unaware that Josh Allen is hurt. They signed Derek Anderson to mentor Allen. He's only starting because Josh Allen is currently injured.

When Josh Allen was healthy, the Bills were 2-3 and looked like a competitve team. In the games he's missed (Ravens & Colts) they have looked like a laughing stock. Its obvious that they are much better with Josh Allen than without him. But nonetheless, that team lacks talent right now. Especially on the offensive line and at WR.

Hopefully they sit Josh Allen for the rest of the year. They need to get the 1st overall pick in the draft so they can trade it for a boatload of picks to fix the holes in their roster.

So you are kicking the can down the road on this prediction as well?

You don't sign Derek Anderson because your starting QB is going to miss a single game for an 'elbow injury' and you want him to teach your rookie QB how to be a mediocre backup, you sign him because you are literally have no other options because your rookie QB and his backup are both terrible.

McDermott didn’t completely rule out Allen from getting the start against the Patriots.

Last edited:
I actually agree that the Jags are going to be average. Bortles has even less to throw to and the Jags D was amazingly healthy last year. No way they have that kind of luck again.

Flip the Raiders and the Chiefs.

Bills are going to be terrible.

Outside of the West, D4H's whole NFC is wacky.

Bump

Also, Jags O has been worthless without Fournette, who I am told is not a good RB...

Bump

Also, Jags O has been worthless without Fournette, who I am told is not a good RB...
Well that's because he was only able to average 3.9 ypc last year...

Take the Giants game out of the mix and AK isn't even that high in YPC .. but that doesn't mean we should say he isn't a good player or, as D4H would put it, he's garbage.

So you are kicking the can down the road on this prediction as well?

You don't sign Derek Anderson because your starting QB is going to miss a single game for an 'elbow injury' and you want him to teach your rookie QB how to be a mediocre backup, you sign him because you are literally have no other options because your rookie QB and his backup are both terrible.

McDermott didn’t completely rule out Allen from getting the start against the Patriots.

What rookie QB was a superstar in Year 1 and had a meaningful career? The only QBs that dominate as rookies are guys who end up being busts (i.e. RG3 and Dak Prescott). Most of the elite QBs struggle mightily in year 1 (i.e. Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, John Elway, etc.) or they don't even play (i.e. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers).

I can't believe you consider a rookie QB not being elite as kicking the can down the road. Now I will admit I thought Josh Allen would have a better rookie season because I thought the Bills had more talent around him. I was wrong. Their offensive line is as bad as it gets in the NFL. And they lack playmakers at wide receiver. Thus, its been more of a struggle for him than I anticipated. However, individually he's looked good to me. The skills and talent are exactly what I saw on his college tape.

In time, he will be a SUPERSTAR. Have some patience.

What rookie QB was a superstar in Year 1 and had a meaningful career? The only QBs that dominate as rookies are guys who end up being busts (i.e. RG3 and Dak Prescott). Most of the elite QBs struggle mightily in year 1 (i.e. Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, John Elway, etc.) or they don't even play (i.e. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers).

I can't believe you consider a rookie QB not being elite as kicking the can down the road. Now I will admit I thought Josh Allen would have a better rookie season because I thought the Bills had more talent around him. I was wrong. Their offensive line is as bad as it gets in the NFL. And they lack playmakers at wide receiver. Thus, its been more of a struggle for him than I anticipated. However, individually he's looked good to me. The skills and talent are exactly what I saw on his college tape.

Again, you like to twist logic to fit your failed predictions. Josh Allen is not, nor will he ever be mentioned in the same conversations as Manning, Aikman, Elway, Brady or Rodgers.

You want to compare current rookie QB stats? Rookie QBs surrounded by mediocre talent even.

Josh-Allen.png

Sam-Darnlold.png

Baker-Mayfield.png

One of these is not like the other...

Again, you like to twist logic to fit your failed predictions. Josh Allen is not, nor will he ever be mentioned in the same conversations as Manning, Aikman, Elway, Brady or Rodgers.

You want to compare current rookie QB stats? Rookie QBs surrounded by mediocre talent even.

Josh-Allen.png

Sam-Darnlold.png

Baker-Mayfield.png

One of these is not like the other...

The Browns have a lot talent. On both offense and defense. That's not a fair comparison. Many a QB would look great behind their o-line and with their offensive weapons. Jets and Bills are comprable at WR/TE but the Jets have the better o-line. And thus you can't make that comparison either. Nonetheless, this is a marathon not a sprint. Just cause you jump out to an early lead don't mean you'll neccesarily be the winner. Just think back to last year around this time. Kareem Hunt had the Rookie of the Year all but wrapped up. Then Alvin went crazy in the month of November and took the award.

Josh Allen will EASILY be better than Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen. The only guy that will even have an argument against him will be Lamar Jackson. But even then most will agree that Allen is much better.

I can't believe you consider a rookie QB not being elite as kicking the can down the road. Now I will admit I thought Josh Allen would have a better rookie season because I thought the Bills had more talent around him. I was wrong. Their offensive line is as bad as it gets in the NFL. And they lack playmakers at wide receiver. Thus, its been more of a struggle for him than I anticipated. However, individually he's looked good to me. The skills and talent are exactly what I saw on his college tape You Tube Highlights.

Fixed that last line there for ya
Nevermind that guys like Rosen and Mayfield have played better and have no more playmakers or mentionable OL than Allen does. Heck, the Browns have rookies all over the damn offense and traded away the troubled playmaker Gordon. Taylor should still be in there but wasn't effective ... Mayfield comes in and gets the offense to move so your above point is moot.

The Browns have a lot talent. On both offense and defense. That's not a fair comparison. Many a QB would look great behind their o-line and with their offensive weapons. Jets and Bills are comprable at WR/TE but the Jets have the better o-line. And thus you can't make that comparison either. Nonetheless, this is a marathon not a sprint. Just cause you jump out to an early lead don't mean you'll neccesarily be the winner. Just think back to last year around this time. Kareem Hunt had the Rookie of the Year all but wrapped up. Then Alvin went crazy in the month of November and took the award.

Josh Allen will EASILY be better than Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen. The only guy that will even have an argument against him will be Lamar Jackson. But even then most will agree that Allen is much better

I feel like I am watching a one man version of the Fantasy Island reboot

Well let's see here. Roethlisberger won OROTY. Newton had a record setting rookie campaign. Russell Wilson had an outstanding rookie season. Marino made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Matt Ryan was OROTY. Hell, while he certainly took his lumps on an awful team Manning finished top 5 in yards and TD's as a rookie.

Well let's see here. Roethlisberger won OROTY. Newton had a record setting rookie campaign. Russell Wilson had an outstanding rookie season. Marino made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Matt Ryan was OROTY. Hell, while he certainly took his lumps on an awful team Manning finished top 5 in yards and TD's as a rookie.
Bet none of them had less than 900 yards through their first six games with 2 TDs and 5 INTs either.
But heck, while we are at it, Flacco, Dalton, Luck, Derek Carr, and even Marcus Freaking Mariota will have outperformed Allen by the end of this year. You have to be watching games through Stevie Wonder's eyes to not see that Allen looks lost out there. Can't get through progressions fast enough, most completions are out in the flat or something where they can release a guy free under the zone or in pockets of a zone and still isn't accurate past 20 yards.

Fixed that last line there for ya
Nevermind that guys like Rosen and Mayfield have played better and have no more playmakers or mentionable OL than Allen does. Heck, the Browns have rookies all over the damn offense and traded away the troubled playmaker Gordon. Taylor should still be in there but wasn't effective ... Mayfield comes in and gets the offense to move so your above point is moot.

Browns rookies are guys I loved. Antonio Callaway is as good as it gets at WR. David Njoku was a guy I said would become a star. Nick Chubb was a guy I compared to Jonathan Stewart (former Panthers RB) who I said would be good in the NFL. Jarvis Landry is a Pro Bowler.

That's a ton of talent. There aren't 10 other teams in the entire NFL with this much talent at the skill positions. And even without Joe Thomas, the o-line has been solid.

The Browns are an extremely talented team. If they had a better head coach and starting QB, they would be 6-1 right now.

Good post. All you proved is the first year isn't a predictor of long term success either way.

Good post. All you proved is the first year isn't a predictor of long term success either way.

Perhaps, but it invalidated your position in the post to which I was responding. It also pretty much invalidates any first year criticisms you'd care to make in any similar context.

Still, regardless of any absolute knowledge to be gained from rookie seasons moving forward, it's a lot better to be good than bad/mediocre.

Perhaps, but it invalidated your position in the post to which I was responding. It also pretty much invalidates any first year criticisms you'd care to make in any similar context.

Still, regardless of any absolute knowledge to be gained from rookie seasons moving forward, it's a lot better to be good than bad/mediocre.

True. But context matters. Given how bad the Bills offense is without Josh Allen, I would say he was having a good rookie year.

The Bills looked like a competent NFL team with him. Even winning 2 games. Without him, they have shown zero ability to keep every game from being a blowout.

Browns rookies are guys I loved. Antonio Callaway is as good as it gets at WR. David Njoku was a guy I said would become a star. Nick Chubb was a guy I compared to Jonathan Stewart (former Panthers RB) who I said would be good in the NFL. Jarvis Landry is a Pro Bowler.

That's a ton of talent. There aren't 10 other teams in the entire NFL with this much talent at the skill positions. And even without Joe Thomas, the o-line has been solid.

The Browns are an extremely talented team. If they had a better head coach and starting QB, they would be 6-1 right now.
I like where the Browns seem to be going and the talent they have added, but Callaway is as good as it gets? If that's the case the Browns are in a lot of trouble. He's ranked #110 in the NFL. Fewer receptions than 3 other guys on his own team. Rashard Higgins (also a Brown) has better numbers. Callaway has 16 catches for 200 yards and 1 TD. He's got eh 7th most catches for all rookies this season. Respectable numbers, but far from as good as it gets.

I like where the Browns seem to be going and the talent they have added, but Callaway is as good as it gets? If that's the case the Browns are in a lot of trouble. He's ranked #110 in the NFL. Fewer receptions than 3 other guys on his own team. Rashard Higgins (also a Brown) has better numbers. Callaway has 16 catches for 200 yards and 1 TD. He's got eh 7th most catches for all rookies this season. Respectable numbers, but far from as good as it gets.

I'm talking talent not stats.

He'll be putting up best WR in the NFL stats in a few years.

The Bills looked like a competent NFL team with him. Even winning 2 games. Without him, they have shown zero ability to keep every game from being a blowout.

That's an interesting definition of competent, especially considering the Bills were shut out in one of their losses, scored only 3 in another.

So, you are arguing that even though the talent hasn't manifested itself, Baker Mayfield has it better at the Browns than Josh Allen at the Bills, because Mayfield, in your opinion, is surrounded by more potential?

Reactions: Plecoptera
That's an interesting definition of competent, especially considering the Bills were shut out in one of their losses, scored only 3 in another.

So, you are arguing that even though the talent hasn't manifested itself, Baker Mayfield has it better at the Browns than Josh Allen at the Bills, because Mayfield, in your opinion, is surrounded by more potential?

What's really gunking up D4H's narrative is how much good he had to say about Tyrod Taylor. If Cleveland is THAT talented how come he could do so much less with it than Mayfield. (and the latter being a rookie mind you)

So the Cleveland jail will be having an NFL team soon? I am guessing this dude will be out of the NFL within 5 years, either because he can't stay out of trouble or he just doesn't have what it takes. Cleveland isn't going to give him the same latitude they gave Josh Gordon because he doesn't have near the talent of Josh Gordon.

So the Cleveland jail will be having an NFL team soon? I am guessing this dude will be out of the NFL within 5 years, either because he can't stay out of trouble or he just doesn't have what it takes. Cleveland isn't going to give him the same latitude they gave Josh Gordon because he doesn't have near the talent of Josh Gordon.
Crazy part is, it wasn't just in college. Callaway has been in trouble many times and certainly before he got to UF

My Tampa Bay pick looking genius right now.

I told ya'll they would win the division and New Orleans was in for a down season.

Let's look at this again. So far the only prediction you have a shot at is the NFC West. Which, honestly, my dog could have predicted.
Bills? Not a chance.
Ravens? Wrong
Bengals? Nope.
Titans? Doubt it, but it could happen
Raiders? Maybe you were drunk when you made this prediction
Chiefs? Seriously?
I already said my Cowboys were NOT winning 11 games. Skins might though.
Your NFC North and South are possibly the worst predictions in the history of predictions.

VN Store

Back