The "Student" Walkout

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
Was it inappropriate for public school teachers to support and encourage students to protest on one side of a divisive political and moral issue? Why or why not?

Do you believe the support and encouragement was confined merely to allowing the students to walkout with little to no disciplinary consequences?

Would it be inappropriate to allow some students to walkout of school in protest of abortion, permissive immigration policies, laws allowing homosexual marriages and civil unions, etc.?

It was wrong for teachers/administrators to support/allow the walkout. What is worse is (at least at one school in Montgomery County VA) teachers were forced to support the walkout.

Reactions: 3 people
Was it inappropriate for public school teachers to support and encourage students to protest on one side of a divisive political and moral issue? Why or why not?

Would it be inappropriate to allow some students to walkout of school in protest of abortion, permissive immigration policies, laws allowing homosexual marriages and civil unions, etc.?

I support it in that this is a unique instance where this issue immediately impacts them, the students. The issue prominently surrounds them as the protest was brought on by the string of recent school shootings, and the issue of gunfree zones/arming teachers at school. I would not support the walkout for other issues, at least the ones you named in the above quote.

Do you believe the support and encouragement was confined merely to allowing the students to walkout with little to no disciplinary consequences?

Im sure students heard both support and the arguments against the protests from many different sources. However if the school administration allowed the protests, which I know some here nearby me did, then that was all that was needed. Not sure what you are trying to insinuate.

Reactions: 4 people
Students at my kids' school planned an event themselves. Very well done. More like a memorial for the 17 lives lost. No protesting. It was fully supported by the school.

I support it in that this is a unique instance where this issue immediately impacts them, the students. The issue prominently surrounds them as the protest was brought on by the string of recent school shootings, and the issue of gunfree zones/arming teachers at school. I would not support the walkout for other issues, at least the ones you named in the above quote.

Im sure students heard both support and the arguments against the protests from many different sources. However if the school administration allowed the protests, which I know some here nearby me did, then that was all that was needed. Not sure what you are trying to insinuate.

If students want to protest, great. I'm all for our youth being politically involved but don't waste taxpayers money doing it.

Reactions: 9 people

We don't send our kids to school to be indoctrinated. Many kids who opposed the walk out based on wanting new gun legislation are being bullied and in some instances were suspended because they didn't participate.

Our schools are in the business of educating not indoctrinating. I don't support any walk out of public schools based on any political cause.

Reactions: 6 people
We don't send our kids to school to be indoctrinated. Many kids who opposed the walk out based on wanting new gun legislation are being bullied and in some instances were suspended because they didn't participate.

Our schools are in the business of educating not indoctrinating. I don't support any walk out of public schools based on any political cause.

Education all through college has become indoctrination over education. It’s sick.

Reactions: 6 people

My SIL was told she had to participate, she was going to stay in her classroom with any students that didn't want to participate. It wasn't optional.

Reactions: 2 people

You should link this. There are tons of instances of students being threatened of suspension for walking out, not the other way around.

Gotta feeling that's completely false.

You should link this. There are tons of instances of students being threatened of suspension for walking out, not the other way around.

Gotta feeling that's completely false.

Isn't it normal to be punished for skipping class?

Sounds like a lawsuit to me. Even if it is a private school, I don't see how a large lawsuit isn't forthcoming.

Reactions: 1 person
Sure, but dude is arguing people were suspended for not participating.

That's not what my argument is totally about. No public school should have the right to force any child to participate in a political walk out for either side.

Parents ultimately have the right to determine if there child should be allowed to participate and teachers should be obligated to teach those students who decided to stay in class.

Reactions: 1 person

Does the issue prominently surround them? They’re far, far more likely to die in a car or take their own life than they are to be shot in a school.

These kids have been fed a false narrative by the media and the left in general.

Reactions: 5 people
That's not what my argument is totally about. No public school should have the right to force any child to participate in a political walk out for either side.

Parents ultimately have the right to determine if there child should be allowed to participate and teachers should be obligated to teach those students who decided to stay in class.

Then say that and not just false bs.

Yalls anger should be directed at school administration and not the students.

Reactions: 2 people

Support a student's desire to make their opinions heard? Absolutely.

Encourage students to be passionate about the issues that face them? Absolutely.

Encourage a walk-out? No, absolutely not.

Encourage a single point of view on a political issue? Absolutely not.

VN Store

Back