Anyone need a good laugh?

#VFL__

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, let's blame the Koch brothers some more.

The American left needs a new boogeyman.

Reactions: 2 people
Hey genius did you read the article?

I did. And they still found ways to blame the Koch brothers...

Having said that to say this, I'm not in favor of any tax credits along those lines. Because any time you favor one segment of the market over another, you create a situation that gets abused.

So green energy or fossil fuels, none should get tax breaks and stand on their own two feet.

Reactions: 3 people
skimmed through it

if wind energy is going to be a viable alternative, it needs to be able to survive in the market without being propped up by tax dollars

So when gas is four dollars a gallon why do they?

Yes, let's blame the Koch brothers some more.

The American left needs a new boogeyman.

I think noting the Koch brothers using money to influence politicians is as as important as noting the same for George Soros.

It's BS and every American should be appalled. Politicians are being bought by the highest bidder - ignoring facts like this or dismissing them as partisan doesn't make the issue cease to exist.

“Growth in wind energy is not driven by market demand, but instead by a combination of state mandates and a federal tax credit that is now more valuable than the actual market price of the electricity these plants generate.”

Charles Koch said that tax breaks for wind, solar and biofuels were distorting the U.S. energy market, while acknowledging that his own company benefited from the tax breaks.

The 2 above statements are correct - the mandated purchase and tax credits are market distorting.

(Further, alternative energy tax breaks are dwarfed by billions of dollars in annual subsidies to the oil industry.)

I'm all for reducing industry specific tax goodies but the statement above (and in the OP) are misleading since the magnitude of the total tax "subsidy" is spread over massively more energy production resulting in a much smaller tax advantage per kilowatt.

IOW - the tax situation for standard O&G is considerably less market distorting than what is being done for wind in Kansas. Also, if you want to complain about fuels getting tax breaks better turn your eye to corn before you worry about fossil fuels. Oh yeah, and don't forget what is happening to coal now - EPA policies are distorting the price upwards.

Finally, this comment from the article is laughable

according to the U.S. Energy Department’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL says the Kansas wind could produce 3.1 million gigawatt hours. That’s equivalent to three-quarters of the total electricity generated by all energy sources in the United States last year.

The entire state would have to be a windmill...it's like saying Tennessee could build a nuke reactor so large it would be equivalent to...

I think noting the Koch brothers using money to influence politicians is as as important as noting the same for George Soros.

It's BS and every American should be appalled. Politicians are being bought by the highest bidder - ignoring facts like this or dismissing them as partisan doesn't make the issue cease to exist.

Agree. A major step in the right direction would be flattening the tax code to vastly reduce industry specific goodies.

Too bad that would sink wind energy.

Thank you for being an intelligent citizen. We all need to think about what exactly is going on. We have been warned for a hundred years by past presidents that this day would come.

ever heard of George Soros?

spare us your outrage, LG-lite.

What exactly does he use his money on MG?

This isn't about the kochs, this is about the situation. It could be john from Kansas for all I care. These people are holding politicians hostage and using them to go against their citizens. THAT IS NOT WHY OUR COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED.

Last edited:

in the past, he's used his money to destabilize a nation's currency

currently, he's tossing it around to various left-leaning groups like Center for American Progress to do the exact same thing the Koch brothers do from the right

Seriously do you even know what your talking about. A company is using money to influence it's gov.

Hmmm. Ever heard of the Union? Ever wonder why they're overwhelmingly liberal? Or maybe you've heard of GM recently known as Government Motors

in the past, he's used his money to destabilize a nation's currency

currently, he's tossing it around to various left-leaning groups like Center for American Progress to do the exact same thing the Koch brothers do from the right

And this doesn't piss you off?

This isn't about the kochs, this is about the situation. It could be john from Kansas for all I care. These people are holding politicians hostage and using them to go against their citizens. THAT IS NOT WHY OUR COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED.

then perhaps you shouldn't have bothered to invoke the Koch brothers in your OP

And this doesn't piss you off?

no, what bothers me about wind energy is that it is seen as some great savior (as VHB pointed out the distortion by the NREL) when it clearly isn't. It's like Amtrak, if it's such a good idea, why does it have to be so heavily subsidized to make it's price competitive?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back