Ron Paul on Crimea

Indeed, international markets rallied on news that the sanctions would be thus far minimal. They understand that trade and economic engagement are the surest roads to peace and prosperity. Let's hope governments will follow their lead.

Sure--it's never failed before.

Reactions: 1 person
I like RP but I think he's under emphasizing the issues with how the vote took place. The reference to Iraq/US there were tons of international observers to verify the voting process AND it was not a vote for part of Iraq to leave Iraq to basically become part of the US (the force on the ground).

If the voting is legit though then I agree wholeheartedly.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I like RP but I think he's under emphasizing the issues with how the vote took place. The reference to Iraq/US there were tons of international observers to verify the voting process AND it was not a vote for part of Iraq to leave Iraq to basically become part of the US (the force on the ground).

I think an option to vote for the Crimea to remain part of Ukraine needed to be included to give this election any sense of legitimacy.

ron_paul_photo_4.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Agreed . . . It's easy, and popular right now, to take an isolationist approach, but I think he is oversimplifying.

Too simplistic. While on the face, it has no obvious impact on us, there are certainly underlying US interests at stake, particularly down the road in regards to Putin's actions. Also, as bham said, we should be for the self-determination of all people and Crimea's vote should be evaluated.

Doesn't mean we need to swoop in there and start fighting for the Ukraine, but we need to be careful and defend our interests when necessary. FWIW, the market might not appear to be in favor of sanctions now, but it could save us a lot of pain and trouble down the road.

For those who think the US should take action in Crimea, how far would you be willing to pursue it? Would you be willing to intervene militarily, putting Americans in harm's way, to defend a foreign country thousands of miles away?

We've been playing world police for better than half a century and it has gotten us nowhere. FTR, I'm in favor of non-interventionism, not isolationism. There is a difference.

Why does anyone care what a former representative from Texas says?

How do you conservatives square your approval of his comments with the bashing of Obama for not doing something brash to stop this ?

Reactions: 2 people
As a 2nd generation non Soviet slavic..I could give two and a half sh!ts about what Russia does. The biggest problem America has had in foreign relations in the last 100 years is not being chummy with our Rooskie brothers.

How do you conservatives square your approval of his comments with the bashing of Obama for not doing something brash to stop this ?

What can Obama do? Nothing. Just like Bush when the Russian/Georgian thing went down. Obama just pretends he can do something and comes off as a b!itch.

You need to understand the distinction here. Most did not bash Obama for not doing something to stop it nor do most think we should engage militarily. The criticism was leveled at his prior foreign policy decisions that hurt his credibility allowing Putin to move with impunity and take advantage of the weak hand Obama has shown. If Obama wasn't such an amateur and had a solid FP team, Putin might have thought twice about this little stunt. Obama's inept actions that led to this have been discussed in previous posts.

Obama really has played the two worst sides of this game. He is getting involved in another country's sovereign affairs to begin with....and then doing so by threatening action with little possibility of actual follow through. He comes off very weak.

Either get involved and do something, or stay the hell out of it.

You need to understand the distinction here. Most did not bash Obama for not doing something to stop it nor do most think we should engage militarily. The criticism was leveled at his prior foreign policy decisions that hurt his credibility allowing Putin to move with impunity and take advantage of the weak hand Obama has shown. If Obama wasn't such an amateur and had a solid FP team, Putin might have thought twice about this little stunt. Obama's inept actions that led to this have been discussed in previous posts.

"Most" in the forum bashes Obama for any and everything he does.

Hey moron, we're not criticizing Obumbles for his action/inaction; we're criticizing him for his posture and rhetoric. It's akin to the small, gelded male with no secondary sexual characteristics like you talking a big game about how many asses you've kicked and how many girls you've banged.

VN Store

Back