1537 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Page 66. within the forum NFL Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #976
hndog609
Junior Member

Join Date: Feb 2006
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 8,540
Likes: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
So I'm guessing you're gonna ignore the fact Tennessee has one of the worst offenses in the nations and statistically the worse offense in the SEC last year?
So I'm guessing you're going to ignore the fact in '08 TN had the nation's #3 defense in spite of having the nation's #116 offense?
__________________
If there is one thing I am now certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
hndog609 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #977
Dobbs 4 Heisman
Senior Member
 
Dobbs 4 Heisman's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 14,254
Likes: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hndog609 View Post
So I'm guessing you're going to ignore the fact in '08 TN had the nation's #3 defense in spite of having the nation's #116 offense?
Was Butch Jones the head coach?

If not, then please stop trying to compare his ineptitude to other people.
Dobbs 4 Heisman is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #978
Burger
Senior Member
 
Burger's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: May 2009
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Location: Aberdeen, Wa
Posts: 13,102
Likes: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Was Butch Jones the head coach?

If not, then please stop trying to compare his ineptitude to other people.
Butch Jones was bad, but he's also won 10 games at other places.

I remember telling you how bad he was. You're using him as a crutch to why Tennessee didn't win the national title. That crutch rationalized why you're wrong. You'll be saying the same about Mike Tomlin soon enough.

Last edited by Burger; 07-18-2018 at 09:35 PM..
Burger is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #979
bamawriter
Senior Member

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 17,891
Likes: 11,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Was Butch Jones the head coach?

If not, then please stop trying to compare his ineptitude to other people.
Butch Jones didn't miss a single tackle last year.
bamawriter is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #980
hndog609
Junior Member

Join Date: Feb 2006
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 8,540
Likes: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Was Butch Jones the head coach?

If not, then please stop trying to compare his ineptitude to other people.
Read what I quoted, really good defenses can still be good despite the offense. There's ample proof of this being true.

And what about you dropping names that you had rated as talents that would lead our defense to such heights?

The highest regarded player we sent to the league this year was Rashaan Gaulden who was drafted #21 in the 3rd round. As for the rest:

Kahlil McKenzie - 6th Rnd, KC already switching to OG
Kendal Vickers - undrafted
Justin Martin - undrafted
Emmanuel Mosely - undrafted

You were ALWAYS deluding yourself this was going to be an elite defense.
__________________
If there is one thing I am now certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
hndog609 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #981
HoptownVol
Senior Member
 
HoptownVol's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Aug 2014
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 6,633
Likes: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by hndog609 View Post
So I'm guessing you're going to ignore the fact in '08 TN had the nation's #3 defense in spite of having the nation's #116 offense?

Uh, no. We had a great pass defense on paper but only because we couldn't stop the run.
HoptownVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #982
bamawriter
Senior Member

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 17,891
Likes: 11,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoptownVol View Post
Uh, no. We had a great pass defense on paper but only because we couldn't stop the run.
He was referring to the '08 team, which was very solid against the run and pass.

You are right about last year's squad: they had deceptive pass defense numbers because no one had any reason to throw the ball.

Last edited by bamawriter; 07-18-2018 at 11:49 PM..
bamawriter is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #983
butchna
Senior Member
 
butchna's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Jan 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 50,875
Likes: 51,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Sports is a marathon not a sprint. If I said after their rookie year that Kirk Cousins would be a starting QB in the NFL longer than RG3, most would have said that was crazy. Now we see that its what happened.

I would still take Kevin Hogan over Jared Goff any day of the week. Very soon the smoke and mirrors that made Goff look good last year will come apart. And he'll be exposed for the scrub he is. And very soon Kevin Hogan will get his shot and prove to be a competent starting QB. And at the conclusion of their careers, EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE will agree that Kevin Hogan was the better NFL player.

I'm here to win the marathon, not the sprint.
Marathon winners never use the strategy of camping out at the starting line. Cousins represented when opportunity presented...Hogan nose planted in both (QB friendly) KC and (QB starved) Cleveland. Talent shows itself. Goff showed way more in his rookie year...of course Hogan is pure bottom trash even in Cleveland. 4000 yards isn’t smoke and mirrors you goofy ****...they’re verifiable stats. Hogan being on a roster is the only string that separates him from another fail on your Hall of Shame roster...Kelvin Taylor.
butchna is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #984
TDawg
Senior Member
 
TDawg's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 899
Likes: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Sports is a marathon not a sprint. If I said after their rookie year that Kirk Cousins would be a starting QB in the NFL longer than RG3, most would have said that was crazy. Now we see that its what happened.

I would still take Kevin Hogan over Jared Goff any day of the week. Very soon the smoke and mirrors that made Goff look good last year will come apart. And he'll be exposed for the scrub he is. And very soon Kevin Hogan will get his shot and prove to be a competent starting QB. And at the conclusion of their careers, EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE will agree that Kevin Hogan was the better NFL player.

I'm here to win the marathon, not the sprint.
I never predicted RGIII to have some huge NFL success. The guy is a tremendous athlete but at QB, you're going to get beat up pretty good running the ball and he wasn't big enough to endure hits over and over. Plus, arm talent wasn't spectacular by any stretch. He won a lot of games off athleticism at Baylor which is fine in college but you have to be a freaking rock to do that in the league and have upper level arm talent. He did not.

As for Hogan/Goff .. no one in their right mind feels that Hogan has anywhere near the same arm talent that Goff does. Hogan needs to keep his hands clipboard ready because he will never be more than a spot start option. Goff on the other hand will continue to be a good to great starting QB.
TDawg is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #985
TDawg
Senior Member
 
TDawg's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 899
Likes: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Are you about to argue that Alvin Kamara is a fluke?
There's a difference between calling your HoF prediction ridiculous (which it is after just part way through a rookie year) and calling the kid a fluke. At Norcross, AK was lights out and when he chose Bama, many in Georgia wondered about the log jam at RB (I believe they had about 5 RBs on scholarship at that point with 2 being in Alvin's class). When it fell apart there for him, yes, a lot of UGA fans wanted him there but others didn't because they wanted to see Alvin get carries to show off. At that point, UGA had Gurley and Marshall as juniors and Chubb and Michel as freshman so carries would be split A LOT.

Some of the less selfish liked him going to UT just to see what he could do and for his sake, it should have been a great fit. Well, coach wasn't too sharp in that regard and he very seldom got the heavy workload. Point is, a RB needs carries. AKs 140+ last year isn't going to light up the world because to do what he did over and over again, he needs a similar offense to use him in the passing game and a QB that can spread the ball around. Peyton may not be there much longer and Brees DEFINITELY won't be there much longer.
TDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #986
TDawg
Senior Member
 
TDawg's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 899
Likes: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs 4 Heisman View Post
Are you seriously going to compare Nick Saban to Butch Jones?

Tennessee's program had an anvil around their neck by the name of Butch Jones. Just watch what Jeremy Pruitt does with the same roster.

I have a feeling people will truly understand how bad Butch Jones was when they see Jeremy Pruitt taking this team to the SEC Championship Game in Year 1.
Bets? I mean, can you let the guy have one damn game as a HC? This is why people rag you so hard is because of these over the top, outlandish predictions. If UT wins 6 games, is that not an improvement from last year? It is so go with it and stop trying to make the team out to be a group of Peyton Manning's, Jamal Lewis', Peerless Price's, Reggie White's, Jason Whitten's and Dale Carter's all led by Johnny Freaking Majors. This will be a work in progress for UT and from an outside looking in view point, they have an uphill climb based on what's on the roster now. If it was already so talented, Pruitt wouldn't have been bringing in so many grad transfers in one season.
TDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #987
TDawg
Senior Member
 
TDawg's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 899
Likes: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamawriter View Post
Is this the same situation where you were right about Georgia being the national champion even though they didn't win the national championship?
Hey! Easy there bud .. you had a lot of ref help!
TDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #988
bamawriter
Senior Member

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 17,891
Likes: 11,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
Hey! Easy there bud .. you had a lot of ref help!
And even more help from UGA's secondary.
bamawriter is online now  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #989
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ
 
VolsSportsFan's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Aug 2008
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Location: Mars
Posts: 49,799
Likes: 24,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
Bets? I mean, can you let the guy have one damn game as a HC? This is why people rag you so hard is because of these over the top, outlandish predictions. If UT wins 6 games, is that not an improvement from last year? It is so go with it and stop trying to make the team out to be a group of Peyton Manning's, Jamal Lewis', Peerless Price's, Reggie White's, Jason Whitten's and Dale Carter's all led by Johnny Freaking Majors. This will be a work in progress for UT and from an outside looking in view point, they have an uphill climb based on what's on the roster now. If it was already so talented, Pruitt wouldn't have been bringing in so many grad transfers in one season.
That and he doesn't have the stones to actually put up against them. He's so sure he's right and yet claims he doesn't want to take anyone's money.

Sure...that's it...it can't be that it's easy to just make outlandish predictions each year and brag how right you are and then immediately make excuses and ignore all criticism the next year, then rinse and repeat when you put no skin in the game.

If he actually put up and then lost as we all know he will, we'd never see him again; that or he'd switch to only posting as Nationdom.
VolsSportsFan is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #990
TDawg
Senior Member
 
TDawg's Avatar

Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs Steelers have already given up on Dobbs
Posts: 899
Likes: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamawriter View Post
And even more help from UGA's secondary.
OUCH! Yeah, Malkolm was being abused all game and on the final play, he didn't get any over the top help from Sanders.

I think what most of us look at regarding the officiating is the fact that while screwing up the offsides call on Simmons, the same guy jacks up the call on an obvious false start on Harris on Tua's game tying TD. The facemask hurt, the tackle on Roquan on another TD hurt but those two just stood out more than the others.
TDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.