Tony Dungy Said He wouldnt have drafted Micheal Sam

I agree. The author of the article seemingly wants to make this a bigger issue than what it actually appears from Dungy's full comments. Not sure why else he would quote what he did, but leave out the part where Dungy said "It's not going to be totally smooth...".

I agree. The author of the article seemingly wants to make this a bigger issue than what it actually appears from Dungy's full comments. Not sure why else he would quote what he did, but leave out the part where Dungy said "It's not going to be totally smooth...".

Yep, headline was for some short of shock value.

This coming from the guy who distanced himself from his son who had issues and eventually killed himself.
What is strange is that he was the guy championing Vick when he wanted to return to the league.

I'm just surprised he isn't taking the stance that patience and tolerance is imperative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Wonder what his response would have been if someone said that about Jackie Robinson. It's ridiculous. Change is rarely smooth and to use a pioneer-like situation against a kid when you've been an advocate of tolerance is hypocritical. IMO

Wonder what his response would have been if someone said that about Jackie Robinson. It's ridiculous. Change is rarely smooth and to use a pioneer-like situation against a kid when you've been an advocate of tolerance is hypocritical. IMO

What was intolerant about anything Dungy said?

Reactions: 1 person
What was intolerant about anything Dungy said?

Perhaps tolerant is the wrong word and hypocritical is the right one. As I said, if this was more a skin color issue then Dungy would be critical of everyone that shared this thought. I agree with the author that it's pathetic. Honestly, i'd say it's rather sad that discrimination is only being fought if you're "like us". It takes someone with a tolerant mind to look past any circus and focus on the individuals key attributes. It took a brave man do it for black people. You'd figure he'd be a little more supportive with the matter.

Just my opinion.

Perhaps tolerant is the wrong and hypocritical is the right one. As I said, if this was more a skin color issue then Dungy would be critical of everyone that shared this thought. I agree with the author that it's pathetic. Honestly, i'd say it's rather sad that discrimination is only being fought if you're "like us". It takes someone with a tolerant mind to look past any circus and focus on the individuals key attributes. It took a brave man do it for black people. You'd figure he'd be a little more supportive with the matter.

Just my opinion.

And Dungy gave his opinion. No one should force him to be supportive if he doesn't approve of Sam's lifestyle.

Reactions: 3 people
And Dungy gave his opinion. No one should force him to be supportive if he doesn't approve of Sam's lifestyle.

But he isn't a coach or front office guy that had to make this decision. He just offered up what he would have done. He essentially went out of his way to his disapproval. I'd really like to hear him explain why Sam is a bigger risk to take than Vick was.

Reactions: 2 people
But he isn't a coach or front office guy that had to make this decision. He just offered up what he would have done. He essentially went out of his way to his disapproval. I'd really like to hear him explain why Sam is a bigger risk to take than Vick was.

Because 50,000 militant dog fighters wouldn't picket your stadium and harass your clientele if you cut Michael Vick as a football decision.

I'm guessing it's because of potential. Vick was a proven big play threat at qb. From what I've read, Sam is a maybe at making the final roster. Not unique physical talent or capability.

Because 50,000 militant dog fighters wouldn't picket your stadium and harass your clientele if you cut Michael Vick as a football decision.

But PETA would when you signed him. Your point is invalid as the circus merely occurs at different times. The circus behind Vick was guaranteed while Sam isn't at this point. I can make a similar point by saying "no one will picket when you signed Sam"

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's because of potential. Vick was a proven big play threat at qb. From what I've read, Sam is a maybe at making the final roster. Not unique physical talent or capability.

Yeah, but a few years in prison put that all in question. We had no idea what to expect.

I agree with Panthro.

Thinking 50K are going to picket if Sam gets cut is absurd. In the first place, he's not going to get cut anytime soon because he has the the 5th highest selling jersey.

Yeah, but a few years in prison put that all in question. We had no idea what to expect.

I agree with Panthro.

Thinking 50K are going to picket if Sam gets cut is absurd. In the first place, he's not going to get cut anytime soon because he has the the 5th highest selling jersey.

If the Rams are making final roster decisions based on jersey sales, they're in more trouble than I thought.

If that was the case, he could have just said he wouldn't have drafted Sam because he doesn't believe he's that good.
The fact of the matter is that you just can't make decisions on whether or not to hire somebody because you don't want to deal with their baggage. Dungy is a big Tebow supporter. If you think by game seven Michael Sam will still be as big of a media circus as Tim Tebow, than you're kidding yourself.

Also, I've had about enough of pop up ads on VN!

Last edited:
If the Rams are making final roster decisions based on jersey sales, they're in more trouble than I thought.

The guy that gets the last spot isn't doing much to make them a contender and they're not a contender anyways. Why not get some real business value out of him?

VN Store

Back